Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby der Freiherr » 03 Mar 2021, 00:08

Today, in a stunning fit of cynicism and public health malpractice, our Governor has decided to lift the mask mandate and to lift any capacity restrictions on public places. This is a great twofer for him: he manages to shore up his right wing lunatic fringe base (which has been in some doubt), AND he changes the public conversation. Though he is rightly being ridiculed in many places, no one is talking about the catastrophic failure of our infrastructure, which was directly attributable to him and his political party. So even if there is rightful negative reaction to this from many corners, it suits him. He's not losing any votes and no one is talking about Snowvid.

All this, on Texas Independence Day. :lol: :roll:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Mar 2021, 04:45

Good point Baron. I heard that news a little earlier and could barely believe my ears. I put it down to my pre/mal-conceived view of Texas. I totally missed the recent fiasco angle. Makes perfect (non)sense.

Damn I hate politics!
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Mar 2021, 04:52

Bad policy but that has been the downfall of the U.S. policy so far.

Cue Neil’s Fuckin’ Up. Yeah!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 03 Mar 2021, 17:56

Aside from the very obvious issues around this decision (we're at about 6-8% vaccination, the greater the spread the increase of variants, WE ARE ONLY AT 6-8% VACCINATION) the mask decision turns non-mask wearing into a supremely political act. I remember at the beginning of lockdown when mask wearing was not mandatory. Most people in Austin did it, but I would say at the beginning there was about 10% of people not wearing them. And this selection of the population was not all Bubbas in overalls, there were people from all walks of life. Mask wearing for all was implemented soon after, but during that time of opting in there was a lot of tension and aggression in places with some non - mask wearers laughing at people wearing them, and some mask wearers criticizing those without. All this played out in shops and businesses with staff often being in the crossfire of the aggro.

So for this dick to choose Texas Independence Day to splurge his nonsense is a fabulous way of getting all this stirred up. Right now, right when we are not crossing the finish line exactly, but we are maybe grabbing the final baton, the places where all this is going to get played out is again is in public spaces between the mask wearers and the hell naw crowd. Many, many Austin businesses have said there is absolutely no way that they are lifting their mask requirements and I can imagine that list will grow. However, not all. It is absolutely impossible for me to be near somebody in a retail outlet who has chosen to wave their "liberty" around like King Arthur's sword and not say something, and that something will always be loud and aggressive and I am just going to have to stay in until everyone is vaccinated. Last week I was getting breakfast to go from a local place and a guy swaggering between tables with his mask round his chin went up to the register and deliberately coughed at the plexi screen and on a load of baked goods and the staff. I asked him to put on his mask and he shouted " I got allergies, liberal!" I mean, it's like something from a sketch show. I had a meltdown and I'm sure the staff in the kitchen could hear my seven different pitches of swearing. I went back later with flowers to apologise for the staff who said that they agreed with me confronting him and all I could think about was the small amount of dicks who will trot around smirking and make every social interraction that we have tried hard to rebuild fraught with irritation, worry and fear of confrontation.

I am not built to peacefully watch them trot around me risking the lives of the people serving them and waiting on them saying nothing. Plenty of other people feel like me and I am waiting to hear of fights breaking out in canned food aisles. This will happen.

What a shitshow.

Do you think he has opened his mansion for tours? has he fucking fuck.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Mar 2021, 19:34

Now we're actually seeing cases going down, and vaccines getting better distribution, I'm starting to plan some things for future months assuming things will be more open. But a lot of things are on hold because we're not sure what tier we'll be at in the re-opening. For instance: Minor League Baseball has announced that there WILL be a 2021 season (there wasn't in 2020), but because they don't know exactly what restrictions will be in place by the time the season opens (on my birthday, coincidentally), they're not selling tickets yet. And the boats are sailing to the Channel Islands where we like to camp, but the campground we like to stay in is still closed.

Both outdoor activities, that feel really safe as long as there's still a mask mandate in common areas. I get wanting to hold off on these things till we know what the world will be like by the time they happen, but I'm also feeling impatient.

And needless to say, having to account for the Covidiots makes things more complicated.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2022?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 04 Mar 2021, 05:46

Dr. Baron wrote:Today, in a stunning fit of cynicism and public health malpractice, our Governor has decided to lift the mask mandate and to lift any capacity restrictions on public places. This is a great twofer for him: he manages to shore up his right wing lunatic fringe base (which has been in some doubt), AND he changes the public conversation. Though he is rightly being ridiculed in many places, no one is talking about the catastrophic failure of our infrastructure, which was directly attributable to him and his political party. So even if there is rightful negative reaction to this from many corners, it suits him. He's not losing any votes and no one is talking about Snowvid.

All this, on Texas Independence Day. :lol: :roll:

Get the fuck out of here you namby pamby little baby! If my rejection of the whole Covid nonsense makes me one of the "right" or a Republican or worse, a libertarian :o I'll wear that mantle. You pussies have been predicting doom and death and pestilence since they started filling your weakened minds with this propaganda and look out the window. Are people dropping dead like they were in China back in March? That stunt was probably bogus and you have been gobbling down that bogossity since. And you are the BCB smart guy. :roll:

Abandon ship! Governors scramble to end lockdowns, mask mandates
16 states are now following the science.

The centrally planned solutions to COVID-19 have failed spectacularly, and the American people have taken notice of this reality. Hundreds of millions have now been through a full year of government-imposed tyranny on both a federal and state level. Whether it was a travel ban, an endless series of lockdowns, mask mandates, countless emergency orders, business closures, and the like, not a single top-down order from the federal or state level did anything productive for the wellbeing of Americans.

None of it worked. All of it served as a net negative.
https://archives.simplelists.com/nfu/msg/16160842/
Question authority.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby Rorschach » 04 Mar 2021, 12:20

Samoan, on page 1 wrote:
I'd rather hoped to avoid this sort of content on the thread if you'd be so kind as to oblige, Jimbo.

Cheers, Buddy.
Bugger off.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 04 Mar 2021, 12:40

Question authority.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Mar 2021, 16:15

Estonia now has - I think - the second highest rate in Europe. They got very lax very quick.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Mar 2021, 02:25

Mom has had both shots - no side effects. No major side effects at her place, with approximately 200 residents (don't know if there were any minor ones). No new cases for almost a month now. Things are looking up.

The usual miscommunication and confusion regarding restaurants and when and how they can reopen, but we intend to continue outdoor dining whenever possible. Hoping our local area keeps the streets blocked that are blocked, lets the restaurants keep tables on the sidewalk.

Not going to excuse our beloved governor's hypocritical behavior, and don't love everything he's done, but I think Texas has shown pretty effectively that replacing hypocritical dems with inept and insensitive repubs is not the way to go either.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 Mar 2021, 14:50

toomanyhatz wrote: ...

The usual miscommunication and confusion regarding restaurants and when and how they can reopen, but we intend to continue outdoor dining whenever possible. Hoping our local area keeps the streets blocked that are blocked, lets the restaurants keep tables on the sidewalk.

They tried that in our borough over the summer. It was very enjoyable and vitally lucrative for those businesses participating. The tables were all over the road though, not just the pavement. It didn't/couldn't last. This is Inner London and the motorists went ape sh*t. The mayor, who also lives in this borough, pulled it fairly rapidly, doubtless mindful of the mayoral election in May this year.

My nephew's been working on the Covid wards since after his Christmas leave, either at CXH or The Hammersmith so he can no longer live at home. My niece's boyfriend has moved in and joined their bubble. He's a lovely bloke but my sister-in-law is finding it something of a strain.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Mar 2021, 07:38

But now for the really important part of the Covid discussion- how it affects baseball.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/310 ... pening-day

My plan is to go to a minor league game in Fresno, CA this May for my birthday. It does appear that it will be possible, but tickets are not on sale just yet.
Footy wrote:

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Mar 2021, 17:03

toomanyhatz wrote:But now for the really important part of the Covid discussion- how it affects baseball.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/310 ... pening-day

My plan is to go to a minor league game in Fresno, CA this May for my birthday. It does appear that it will be possible, but tickets are not on sale just yet.

I can’t BELIEVE the Rangers are opening at full capacity and I’m a little curious what size crowd they’ll get.

I’m still weighing whether to re-activate as an Astros fan this year. I wouldn’t rule out going to a game or two later in the summer but I’m happy to wait.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Mar 2021, 19:51

Next month I will be able to hang out with other second dose veterans so thinking of creating a club. Dinner parties are on the horizon.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 12 Mar 2021, 20:31

i got my first moderna shot this morning. chi chi and sam go tomorrow morning.

just waitin on attila to qualify. (he's 32.) i am hoping it'll just be a few more weeks. until then, i guess i'll keep him chained up in the attic. tough love.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Mar 2021, 21:05

Dr. Baron wrote:I can’t BELIEVE the Rangers are opening at full capacity and I’m a little curious what size crowd they’ll get.

That's putting it mildly. Astounding decision.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Mar 2021, 21:14

souphound wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:I can’t BELIEVE the Rangers are opening at full capacity and I’m a little curious what size crowd they’ll get.

That's putting it mildly. Astounding decision.

This is the part I find most curious:

Subsequent games will see reduced capacity to accommodate socially distanced seating options.

So full capacity for the last two exhibition games and opening day, and THEN they ramp it back down? Makes ZERO sense.

I do feel (and have always felt) that outdoors is 100 times safer, but still - I see these games as having great superspreader potential.

And have they thought at all about crowded parking lots, long lines for food, how much restroom sanitation will be required? Are they allowing tailgate parties?

It boggles the mind.
Footy wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Mar 2021, 21:31

I really does. Speaking of food and line-ups, cinemas recently partially re-opened here. Rooftops were raised when they saw that popcorn and the likes could not be served. No food or drinks at all. And with an 8pm curfew in place, that means that pretty much only little bunches of kids and parents are going to see the latest animation. Could you see the Rangers saying sure, we're open to full capacity, but won't be serving any food or beer? Many would go "why bother then?" while lots of others woud just try to either smuggle stuff in or fill them selves to the brim beforehand.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Mar 2021, 22:07

Also, it’s a retractable roof stadium, so there’s no guarantee it’ll be open air (unless they’ve specifically said otherwise). DFW can be really hot (which is why they’ve finally made this move to the new stadium).

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 May 2021, 10:59

Oh god.

A work colleague of my wife was eight months pregnant with twins. She got Covid and quickly had to be admitted to hospital and is now in intensive care. And I just heard she's lost the babies. I don't know any more than that, and I don't even know the woman, but I'm struggling to keep it together. My wife's in a worse state. I can't imagine what it's like for the woman and her family.

This really isn't over yet.
Bugger off.