Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
mudshark

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby mudshark » 15 Nov 2021, 20:15

The wife and I had our Moderna boosters (on top of J&J) last Friday. Didn't have any side effects except for a sore arm. Reading about how much protection this is supposed to give worked very reassuring but I still will give the company's Xmas dinner a miss.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Nov 2021, 19:08

Shite.
Face coverings will be mandatory again in shops and on public transport in England from next week due to the Omicron variant.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 27 Nov 2021, 20:41

Omicron is an anagram for moronic.
Could it be a hoax? I'm sure the conspiracy theories have popped up already.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 27 Nov 2021, 22:42

Samoan wrote:Shite.
Face coverings will be mandatory again in shops and on public transport in England from next week due to the Omicron variant.

Thank God.

Face coverings should have been mandatory all year. It was stupid to allow it to be personal choice.

I type this on the eighth day of my having contracted covid, having got it from my daughter, who can only have got it from one of the self entitled anti masking pillocks who frequent the library where she works. She has now completed her self isolation period, though is still struggling with the tiredness resulting from the coronavirus she had. My wife is on the fifth day since her positive test and is quite poorly.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Nov 2021, 12:10

John aka Josh wrote:

Thank God.

Face coverings should have been mandatory all year. It was stupid to allow it to be personal choice.

I type this on the eighth day of my having contracted covid, having got it from my daughter, who can only have got it from one of the self entitled anti masking pillocks who frequent the library where she works. She has now completed her self isolation period, though is still struggling with the tiredness resulting from the coronavirus she had. My wife is on the fifth day since her positive test and is quite poorly.

I'm very sorry to hear about you and your family and send all three of you good wishes.

I got sick in late October, about 2 and a half days after an emergency dental appointment. I'd chipped a lower incisor which she replaced with a no drilling required composite filling so necessarily, my face was in extremely close proximity to hers.
She only wore one of those loose-fitting, pale blue surgical masks. No visor.

But I was lucky to get the appointment with only a 2 day wait as since then, the practice is no longer accepting new NHS patients, only private. People in England are currently struggling to find any kind of dentist since the 2020 lockdown and the banning of dental work.
She also took an impression for an upper tooth guard as I grind my teeth at night (it had to be fitted later) but it's so snug, I hardly know it's there of a morning.

My neighbours N and J, a couple living one floor up from me and one flat along had noticed my car hadn't moved and that leaves were building up on the windscreen and roof so Nikki called by to see what was up and they've been doing regular fresh bread and milk shops for me for not a penny piece.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 02 Dec 2021, 00:47

Wow. Sorry to read about all of y'all being ill. Hope you are all feeling better soon!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Dec 2021, 09:35

mudshark wrote:Omicron is an anagram for moronic.
Could it be a hoax? I'm sure the conspiracy theories have popped up already.

I love how 'they', the hoaxers, like to rub their evilness in our faces by 'coding' their gleeful deceptions in these piss-simple anagrams.

Like if Paul really did blow his mind out in a car and was replaced by Billy Shears the band would leave clues all over the place and offer a phone line to confirm the conspiracy. Incidentally, 'cranberry sauce' sounds more like 'I buried George'... but I digress.

Omicron is the next in line greek letter that isn't easily confused with words like 'new'. That is all. :roll:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Dec 2021, 11:12

John aka Josh wrote:

Thank God.

How are you and family now?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Dec 2021, 11:16

mudshark wrote:The wife and I had our Moderna boosters (on top of J&J) last Friday. Didn't have any side effects except for a sore arm. Reading about how much protection this is supposed to give worked very reassuring but I still will give the company's Xmas dinner a miss.

No Christmas do again for us this year - which is sensible of course, but kind of a shame as I was quite looking forward to not attending as a fuck you to the ahole conman (sorry, Chairman).

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 02 Dec 2021, 18:54

My Greek isn't what it used to be and that's never been much since I dropped it in the 5th year at Dutch High School, but I do remember the alphabet a bit and I'm pretty sure that the next letter after Delta is Epsilon. There's all this talk about skipping ksi (xi) for obvious reasons, but before we even were supposed to get to that issue we still had zeta, eta, iota and a few more that I can't remember to go. Does anybody know why they skipped all those letters? Have I missed 8 variants, perhaps?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Dec 2021, 20:31

had the Moderna booster two weeks ago, they only gave us 1/2 shots. like the second one it put me to sleep for 17 hours. After that I was fine except somehow I got a cold from it. Not Covid just a fall/winter runny nose cold.

We had our thanksgiving at my brothers - everyone was vaccinated as my sister-in-law would have throw her high school/college kids out of the house.
assume I'm back there for xmas.

On a side note one of my close friends is not vaccinated because he has some serious illnesses. His doctor told him not to get the vaccines because of the meds and condition he is in. If she told him to get it he would but she kept him from dying so he continues to listen to her. Oddly, I dumped another friend because she claims the same thing but I know she is full of shit because her sister is a big anti piece of crap.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Dec 2021, 00:12

My secretary's mom asked her to sign a form that would help her mom reject vaccination on religious grounds. The woman hasn't been to church in several years and doesn't live a christian life. My secretary refused to sign, the mom got fired and now they're not talking. Wonder how far this will go as the months/years go on. Maybe in 2121 the kids will learn in school about the terrible Corona Wars. With masks on. If there are still schools. If there's still life as we know it. If there's still life at all.

chaos

Postby chaos » 03 Dec 2021, 00:46

mudshark wrote:My Greek isn't what it used to be and that's never been much since I dropped it in the 5th year at Dutch High School, but I do remember the alphabet a bit and I'm pretty sure that the next letter after Delta is Epsilon. There's all this talk about skipping ksi (xi) for obvious reasons, but before we even were supposed to get to that issue we still had zeta, eta, iota and a few more that I can't remember to go. Does anybody know why they skipped all those letters? Have I missed 8 variants, perhaps?

Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lambda, and Mu were apparently used by the World Health Organisation for 'Variants of Interest' detected since Delta, although none of them seem to have been particularly newsworthy. Only Lambda and Mu are still so labelled, the others are now 'Former Variants of Interest'. This Wikipedia page says (much) more : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2 None of the 8 have (yet) been elevated to '''Variant of Concern' unlike Omicron (formerly just B.1.1.529 until last week).

I can understand Nu and Xi being skipped to avoid confusion/pronunciation issues ('New' ? 'X-I' ? 'Zi' ?), but Omicron seems to be leading to some pronunciation variants itself: 'Oh-Mik-Ron', 'Om-Ik-Ron', have also heard a few 'Omni-Krons' and even an 'Omni-Tron'. And that's just on the BBC...
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Dec 2021, 10:05

chaos wrote:I can understand Nu and Xi being skipped to avoid confusion/pronunciation issues ('New' ? 'X-I' ? 'Zi' ?), but Omicron seems to be leading to some pronunciation variants itself: 'Oh-Mik-Ron', 'Om-Ik-Ron', have also heard a few 'Omni-Krons' and even an 'Omni-Tron'. And that's just on the BBC...

My sister-in-law (Swiss German native sypeaker, living in NSW for the last 30 years) jokingly calls it "Oh-my-Chrone".

Meanwhile, the news from my neck of the woods...

More than 60% of the Swiss voters have shown support for the government's Covid policy in a referendum, after a very vocal and often really ugly campaign against it. And the overall vaccination rate is stagnating at around 66%

I'm due my booster shot in January.
Masks will probably get compulsory again in all public indoor spaces.
A lockdown for the non-vaccinated is being discussed.
But measures might not get quite as drastic as in the neighbouring countries.
I have tickets for several small-scale music and theatre shows this weekend and in the weeks to come and hope they won't be canceled.
I'm really fed up with the whole thing...
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Dec 2021, 13:25

Booster on Saturday.

Anecdotal evidence suggests people (in my circle) seem to be having a reaction after this one. We shall see. (I had no issues after the 1st 2.)

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Dec 2021, 15:16

Thanks for that clarification Mr. Chaos. I had no idea. Looks like the same thing as with hurricanes but the other way around. Last year we ran out of names and they used the greek alphabet thereafter (Iota was the last named storm in 2020, number 31!!). So next year, after Omega we'll have virus variants named Amy, Bruce, Caroline etc. Much better.

Neige, I think Switzerland will follow Austria with precautionary measures. This is based on what my old friends in Fribourg are saying.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Dec 2021, 16:34

mudshark wrote:Neige, I think Switzerland will follow Austria with precautionary measures. This is based on what my old friends in Fribourg are saying.

And what do you hear about Germany (and other European majors?). Looks to me like everybody is keeping their eyes open as to what their neighbours are doing.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Dec 2021, 17:32

Understand that the heads of government in Germany have agreed on making vaccinations mandatory by January 15th and pretty much ban the (then still) unvaccinated from society. Still has to be approved by parliament though. Vaccinations & boosters have pretty much become compulsory in France. Here in the US such measurements will never fly. But for air travel it's now required to show a negative PCR test that's been taken less than 24 hours before departure. That's pretty tough to do. A friend of mine is flying to Calgary on Tuesday morning 11 AM. Therefore, he needs to do his test Monday after 11. Unless it's expedited the result may only become available within 24 hours, which is useless. So, he needs to get it prioritized. Result then available within 6 hours. Costs US$80.00. I think I'll buy some shares in CVS pharmacy.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 04 Dec 2021, 07:58

In Switzerland, with its federal structure, central government is traditionally reluctant when it comes to impose mandatory measures, so it's usually down to the cantons and the often cited "individual responsibility". A national lockdown for the unvaccinated, Austria-style, seems very unlikely. And the new measures announced yesterday seem rather half-assed given the rising numbers and the current situation in hospitals.

In spite of this, the loud and nasty opposition against Covid legislation is directed against the "dictature" of the federal government, more moderate voices decrying the "division" due to the certificate.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 Dec 2021, 13:34

It strikes me that governments (and individual companies) have learnt little from what's happened over the last couple of years.
My company, for example, seems to be a paradigm for what's happening all over:
We have just been advised that there's a new variant that may spread faster than the delta and is definitely a cause for concern. We work from home two days a week anyway, so why not make it five days a week until we know it's 'safe' again?
No! We must wait until we have more data as to what the effects are!
That's like refusing to administer an antidote to someone who may have ingested poison until we know for sure it's killing them.

People are stupid.
Bugger off.