Things that you've read or heard that just made you laugh.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Things that you've read or heard that just make you laugh.

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2020, 01:35

Could it be that the band names The Faces and The Small Faces were originally a schoolboy takeoff on The Feces? I am imagining an Irish guy staring at a crowd and saying, "Look at the faces," and his mate responding, "The what???"
Question authority.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Aug 2020, 09:22

oops wrong thread
Last edited by Samoan on 12 Aug 2020, 11:56, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Aug 2020, 11:29

dp
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Aug 2020, 11:53

Japan’s Rent-a-Family Industry

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... y-industry

People who are short on relatives can hire a husband, a mother, a grandson. The resulting relationships can be more real than you’d expect.

Two years ago, Kazushige Nishida, a Tokyo salaryman in his sixties, started renting a part-time wife and daughter. His real wife had recently died. Six months before that, their daughter, who was twenty-two, had left home after an argument and never returned.

“I thought I was a strong person,” Nishida told me, when we met one night in February, at a restaurant near a train station in the suburbs. “But when you end up alone you feel very lonely.” Tall and slightly stooped, Nishida was wearing a suit and a gray tie. He had a deep voice and a gentle, self-deprecating demeanor.

Of course, he said, he still went to work every day, in the sales division of a manufacturing company, and he had friends with whom he could go out for drinks or play golf. But at night he was completely alone. He thought he would feel better over time. Instead, he felt worse. He tried going to hostess clubs. Talking to the ladies was fun, but at the end of the night you were alone again, feeling stupid for having spent so much money.

Nishida contacted Family Romance and placed an order for a wife and a daughter to join him for dinner. On the order form, he noted his daughter’s age, and his wife’s physique: five feet tall and a little plump. The cost was forty thousand yen, about three hundred and seventy dollars. The first meeting took place at a café. The rental daughter was more fashionable than Nishida’s real daughter—he used the English word “sharp”—but the wife immediately impressed him as “an ordinary, generic middle-aged woman.” He added, “Unlike, for example, Ms. Matsumoto”—he nodded toward my interpreter, Chie Matsumoto—“who might look like a career woman.” Chie, a journalist, teacher, and activist, who has spiky salt-and-pepper hair and wears plastic-framed glasses, laughed as she translated this qualification.

The wife asked Nishida for details about how she and the daughter should act. Nishida demonstrated the characteristic toss of the head with which his late wife had rearranged her hair, and his daughter’s playful way of poking him in the ribs. Then the women started acting. The rental wife called him Kazu, just as his real wife had, and tossed her head to shake back her hair. The rental daughter playfully poked him in the ribs. An observer would have taken them for a real family.

:D

An interesting concept, there are also "Rent A Friend" agencies in Japan.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Aug 2020, 11:59

Flower wrote:Japan’s Rent-a-Family Industry

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... y-industry

People who are short on relatives can hire a husband, a mother, a grandson. The resulting relationships can be more real than you’d expect.

Two years ago, Kazushige Nishida, a Tokyo salaryman in his sixties, started renting a part-time wife and daughter. His real wife had recently died. Six months before that, their daughter, who was twenty-two, had left home after an argument and never returned.

“I thought I was a strong person,” Nishida told me, when we met one night in February, at a restaurant near a train station in the suburbs. “But when you end up alone you feel very lonely.” Tall and slightly stooped, Nishida was wearing a suit and a gray tie. He had a deep voice and a gentle, self-deprecating demeanor.

Of course, he said, he still went to work every day, in the sales division of a manufacturing company, and he had friends with whom he could go out for drinks or play golf. But at night he was completely alone. He thought he would feel better over time. Instead, he felt worse. He tried going to hostess clubs. Talking to the ladies was fun, but at the end of the night you were alone again, feeling stupid for having spent so much money.

Nishida contacted Family Romance and placed an order for a wife and a daughter to join him for dinner. On the order form, he noted his daughter’s age, and his wife’s physique: five feet tall and a little plump. The cost was forty thousand yen, about three hundred and seventy dollars. The first meeting took place at a café. The rental daughter was more fashionable than Nishida’s real daughter—he used the English word “sharp”—but the wife immediately impressed him as “an ordinary, generic middle-aged woman.” He added, “Unlike, for example, Ms. Matsumoto”—he nodded toward my interpreter, Chie Matsumoto—“who might look like a career woman.” Chie, a journalist, teacher, and activist, who has spiky salt-and-pepper hair and wears plastic-framed glasses, laughed as she translated this qualification.

The wife asked Nishida for details about how she and the daughter should act. Nishida demonstrated the characteristic toss of the head with which his late wife had rearranged her hair, and his daughter’s playful way of poking him in the ribs. Then the women started acting. The rental wife called him Kazu, just as his real wife had, and tossed her head to shake back her hair. The rental daughter playfully poked him in the ribs. An observer would have taken them for a real family.

:D

An interesting concept, there are also "Rent A Friend" agencies in Japan.

What an extremely weird article. :|

Anyway, Covid 19 will have rendered these practices inoperable if you read and noted the date, 2018.

Flower

Postby Flower » 17 Aug 2020, 17:32

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Sep 2020, 13:01

That anyone could be fooled by Coan pretending to be me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or that anyone would want to pretend to be me ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Sep 2020, 13:47

Sam Stone wrote:https://preludin.proboards.com/thread/1848/all-new-bcb-gossip-thread?page=42

Agreed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Sep 2020, 06:15

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Sep 2020, 12:34

:lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 18 Sep 2020, 17:00

Jimbo's avatar ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Sep 2020, 13:14

I heard about this on the radio this morning ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanako-san

Hanako-san, or Toire no Hanako-san (トイレのはなこさん, "Hanako of the Toilet"), is a Japanese urban legend about the spirit of a young girl named Hanako-san who haunts school bathrooms. Like many urban legends, the details of the origins of the legend vary depending on the account. Legends about Hanako-san have achieved some popularity in old Japanese schools where children may challenge classmates to try to summon Hanako-san the spirit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Sep 2020, 20:05

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Sep 2020, 20:37

Minnie the Minx wrote:This is VERY funny.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... lk-in-1348

ohhh, it's brilliant. mwhahaha.

almost makes me long for those times when i was gonna write this thing called sex in chaucer: winkewinke nudgenudge seye no moore.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Sep 2020, 20:50

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Sep 2020, 21:31

NYT wrote:“Have you tasted them yet?” Martha Stewart asked. She was standing in her kitchen in Bedford, N.Y., speaking over Zoom about her new line of CBD pâte de fruit, the pronunciation of which she sounded out as if speaking to a child.

“‘Pat,’ like, piece,” she said, “‘doo-free’ — of fruit.” It was around 10 in the morning, and no, I had not tried one.

Eyeing the assortment in front of me, I picked a saffron-colored piece the size of a sugar cube and bit it in half.

“Pop it in,” she said. “Don’t bite it. Pop it in.”

It tasted sweet, squishy and grainy, indistinguishable from those granulated sugar-covered confections that fancy French restaurants dole out at the end of a meal.

“Am I supposed to take just one, or …?” I asked.

“It depends on who you are,” Ms. Stewart said, shrugging. “I pop 20 of them and just feel OK, but some of my friends do two and feel high, I don’t know why. It’s not high like a marijuana high. It’s a CBD high, like, relaxed.” (Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a hemp-derived compound that shouldn’t get you high, but if you mix it with more potent stuff, good luck.)

She reached for an indigo cube, one of four gummies she would consume in the course of an hourlong interview. “You don’t think that you’re eating anything but pâte de fruit,” she said. “I’m having a black raspberry right now.”

In the world of the 79-year-old goddess of domesticity, cannabis, in its myriad forms, is a societal good. Her friend Snoop Dogg introduced her to its palliative effects at Comedy Central’s 2015 “Roast of Justin Bieber.”

“We sat next to each other for seven hours,” Ms. Stewart said. “Snoop must have smoked 10 giant fat blunts, and I inhaled all that smoke. I felt really good.” She paused, searching for a more eloquent description of that feeling; it came from a male voice off-camera belonging t

o Ryan McCallister, her gardener and, since March, her “cinematographer emeritus” (i.e., her Zoom lighting guy).

“A contact high, that’s what they call it,” she said. “I had to fly that night, my family was in Saint Barths for Christmas vacation. I don’t remember going on the plane. I don’t remember doing anything. I didn’t remember my performance on the roast, but it was very successful.” (“Five billion impressions,” she said on a podcast last year. “Where else can you get five billion impressions?”) . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/styl ... Position=1
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Sep 2020, 01:21

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Sep 2020, 12:46

Clearwater woman is selling Trump voodoo dolls to benefit local food bank

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... -food-bank

A few years ago, the sisterhood at Renee Feinman's synagogue donated handmade teddy bears to All Children’s Hospital. The 61-year-old, along with six women from her synagogue, most recently organized a mask-making event for All Children’s, which ended up sending 100 masks to the facility’s non-clinical personnel and family members visiting.

As Feinman finished that project, however, she started to think of other ways she could help the community and be productive during this stressful and difficult time.

“I thought of the Trump doll and the food pantries,” Feinman — who’s been teaching science in Pinellas County for 20 years — told Creative Loafing Tampa Bay.

The dolls she’s talking about are handmade, 7-inch voodoo dolls, which she started making after the election in 2016.

“A teacher friend at school had a very ornate one made by her artist sister. I thought it would be a good panacea for those who were unhappy with the election results,” Feinman said. So she created her own design and gave them as a gift to friends, “who enjoyed them, got a chuckle and found them to be a good conversation piece”

Feinman, who’s lived in Clearwater for 38 years, sells the dolls on Etsy for $20.21; each shipment comes with six straight pins. The profit from each sale is $15, and it all goes to Feeding Tampa Bay, which has been tasked with feeding the growing number of locals who now find themselves unsure of where their next meals are coming from.

“When I sell the first 10, I'll send them $150 and hopefully have 10 more voodoo dolls done and ready to load into Etsy so I can continue raising money. The dolls—which involve lots of hand-stitching, machine sewing, ironing on the fact, stuffing and closing—are tough to make, too.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Sep 2020, 17:54

Return to “Nextdoorland”