13%
No idea
No votes

Total votes: 8

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Aspirin

Postby Jimbo » 27 Dec 2019, 18:30

Just had a fight with the wife when I suggested that her mother, my mother in law, try talking aspirin to relieve what's causing her pain. If it doesn't help I figure it wouldn't hurt. My wife says I'm an idiot, that aspirin is dangerous, especially for the liver. But I heartily disagree. I was raised with my mother telling me to, "Take aspirin," for everything that hurt. And it usually worked. Sore throat, headache, muscle ache, aspirin. And if at times it didn't help it never hurt. But it seems some people would rather suffer than take a pain reliever. Not I.
Question authority.

Six String

Re: Aspirin

Postby Six String » 27 Dec 2019, 19:34

Acetaminophen is the one that can be toxic to the liver but usually only when you take it daily for a long period of time or when consuming alcohol with them. Afaik aspirin doesn't have that concern although it can cause gastric bleeding if taken frequently. Taking it with a glass of water or with milk or food can reduce that. Taking a few as directed shouldn't cause any concerns unless she has liver damage already or a history of gastric ulcers or bleeding. No drug is 100% safe.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Dec 2019, 20:05

"most things in life don't work but aspirin do." - Kurt Vonnegut JR.
uggy poopy doody.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Dec 2019, 20:58

What Les said!

Or have your mother in law call her care provider and/or go see him/her about the pain.

If she doens't want to do that, have your wife speak to her own doctor with her concerns about her mother (not about you.)

Or you can call your doctor on speaker phone and ask about aspirins so your wife can hear what needs to be done.

Or you can go to your local Pharmacist and ask him/her about aspirin and doses.

Or ask a second grader.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Dec 2019, 02:17

I don't know. Maybe it's a Japanese thing because when I was in the office coffee break room and I'd ask Japanese workmates "How you doin'?" very often any number of them would scrunch up their faces and pound their lower backs with their fist to show me they had a backache. And to keep the conversation lively I'd say, "Take aspirin." And they would invariably and literally wave away the notion of taking an over the counter painkiller. It wasn't as if I suggested they actually leave their desks and go home to recuperate, which they'd never ever never ever never do. No never. But not taking aspirin was a close second to not going home. So, yeah, somewhere the word went out on the subliminal Japanese telegraph that if maybe you got hit by a bus or you were recuperating from surgery an aspirin (one not two!) might help with the pain, otherwise "Gaman!" (hang in there) :roll:
Last edited by Jimbo on 28 Dec 2019, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Dec 2019, 05:31

Some conditions are genuinely helped by aspirin and such - not just from a temporary relief standpoint, but also from an anti-inflammatory standpoint. You don't say what the nature/cause of her pain is, and I'm not a doctor anyway so don't rely on me, but do tell her to ask her doctor about it.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Dec 2019, 05:45

Charlie O. wrote:Some conditions are genuinely helped by aspirin and such - not just from a temporary relief standpoint, but also from an anti-inflammatory standpoint. You don't say what the nature/cause of her pain is, and I'm not a doctor anyway so don't rely on me, but do tell her to ask her doctor about it.

What I know is that pain, any pain, is caused by some kind of swelling. Aspirin, I've read, reduces swelling. Heart patients take it to reduce swollen veins and arteries - or something. I've taken it for a stomachache and it helped. If I wake up with a sore throat- aspirin.

I currently am in a condition where my pelvis is very sore due to my bicycle accident. The doc didn't prescribe aspirin but I get something he says is stronger but it isn't an opiate, Toaraset. I take a pill before I go to the gym and it helps me exercise with less pain. I know the difference because I have forgotten to take it a couple of times and I couldn't do my exercises well. Before this I was taking 2 Advil and they did the trick. The difference in my mind is that insurance pays for the Toaraset,
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Dec 2019, 06:03

:?

I just now checked out the side effects of aspirin, Advil and Toaraset. Since I'm a manly sort of guy who doesn't give a shit about "side effects" because, well, I will never get "black, tarry stools" - - not me. (Actually I have. :? ) But if you are a worrisome type like my Missus, she may be right - - - again. :oops:
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Dec 2019, 07:05

Well,

a) ALL medicines have potential side effects;

b) too much of ANY medicine is likely to be a bad thing - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them at all;

c) different pain relievers are different - they aren't necessarily interchangeable. If you have a bad response to one, another might work for you (or vice versa). My dad is allergic to aspirin, but Tylenol is no problem for him;

d) consult yer doctor.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Dec 2019, 09:55

:ugeek:
Jimbo wrote::?

I just now checked out the side effects of aspirin, Advil and Toaraset. Since I'm a manly sort of guy who doesn't give a shit about "side effects" because, well, I will never get "black, tarry stools" - - not me. (Actually I have. :? ) But if you are a worrisome type like my Missus, she may be right - - - again. :oops:

Black tarry stools could be a sign of gastric bleeding and should not be ignored. Aspirin can cause gastric irritation/ulcers, as can the NSAIDS.

Heart patients take aspirin because it stops platelets working properly- so clots in the coronary vessels are less likely.

Go to the doctor Jimbo.

Doctor’s orders!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

`

Postby ` » 28 Dec 2019, 11:38

I remember back in the mid to late 80s when the medical profession had rediscovered the benefits of aspirin and were urging people like me to take a tablet on a daily basis.

Fast forward about 20 years when I visit a new doctor in a new city/country who asks me if I was taking any supplements. "I'm taking X, Y and Z, oh and a daily aspirin", I replied.

A look of horror on his face, he asked me who on earth had recommended such madness. "Well, a doctor not unlike yourself", I told him.

Surprised he didn't offer to spark me up a Lucky Strike when I left his surgery.
Last edited by ` on 28 Dec 2019, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Dec 2019, 11:53

My best friend is a happy and healthy heart disease survivor thanks to a quadruple bypass operation. When he first got ill in the early 90s he was immediately advised to cut back on salt and eggs. He did start taking the daily half aspirin tablet then. Now, he is allowed to eat as much salt and eggs as he likes. The way medical advice flip flops, the Woody Allen bit about how cigarettes are now good for you is evergreen.
Question authority.

`

Postby ` » 28 Dec 2019, 12:22

Jimbo wrote:My best friend is a happy and healthy heart disease survivor thanks to a quadruple bypass operation. When he first got ill in the early 90s he was immediately advised to cut back on salt and eggs. He did start taking the daily half aspirin tablet then. Now, he is allowed to eat as much salt and eggs as he likes. The way medical advice flip flops, the Woody Allen bit about how cigarettes are now good for you is evergreen.

Yep, if the the medical profession are hailing somethng as a real life safer in Monday morning's papers, you can be sure it will cause you to suffer a lingering and horrible death before the week is out

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Dec 2019, 12:25

On a tangent ...

My aunt's second husband woke her one morning that his stool was black and that he needed to go to the E.R. immediately. My aunt then asked her husband what he had eaten the night before ... one pound of black licorice. Crisis averted. :lol:

Seriously, a visit to the doctor seems to be in order for your mother in law, even just to ease her, your wife's and you minds.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Dec 2019, 12:55

Flower wrote:On a tangent ...

My aunt's second husband woke her one morning that his stool was black and that he needed to go to the E.R. immediately. My aunt then asked her husband what he had eaten the night before ... one pound of black licorice. Crisis averted. :lol:

Seriously, a visit to the doctor seems to be in order for your mother in law, even just to ease her, your wife's and you minds.

Oh, she's been to doctors. There are so many non-specific symptoms one can get like shins which may be the cause of aches and cricks which I contend, my two cents, might be relieved by a simple aspirin. Maybe not but don't freak out on me for merely suggesting what Japanese doctors often overlook. Not that they hesitate to prescribe medicines. My friend and I call it the "bag-o" you get upon leaving a Japanese doctor's office. Praise the day when CBD (cannibus) oil is recommended for pain here. That's another safe pain reliever.
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Dec 2019, 13:21

I like Watkins products for muscle pain. Of course, I'd run it by your mother in law's doctor.

https://jrwatkins.com/products/ointment ... ol-camphor

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Dec 2019, 13:34

I wouldn't touch aspirin with a barge pole for pain relief. My preference would be for paracetamol (acetaminophen) should I require it.

I'd only be inclined to take half an aspirin tablet prior to a long haul aeroplane flight or if I thought and felt I was having a first ever angina episode +/- heart attack.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Dec 2019, 03:40

Wasn't Bruce Lee's death triggered by aspirin?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Dec 2019, 06:29

trans-chigley express wrote:Wasn't Bruce Lee's death triggered by aspirin?

My wife swears it was a marijuana overdose.
Question authority.

Return to “Nextdoorland”