58%
Dog
42%

Total votes: 33

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Cat v Dog

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Mar 2018, 13:16

Alleged Local Policeman wrote:A few months before Baron and me got married, the crushing weight of trying to work long hours at a stressful, high level job, organising a wedding and planning a move to the US had me on my knees with crippling anxiety teetering on the cusp of depression. I took three months off work, and for about two weeks of that time I was either a rigid stick or a foetal shaking ball moving from bed to the sofa. Of my two cats, Sam, who I had had from a kitten, changed his behaviour for the entire time that I was sick. I got his stepsister when she was an adult, but Sam and I had bonded from a very young age and he has always responded to me differently. I see this from dealing with kittens where I volunteer - early handling of orphaned kittens means they blend with you and "hang out" with you - they're not just "in the same room". One baby kitten we fostered a few years ago used to sit on Baron's shoulders as he cooked - he was we and we was he.

When I was sick, Sam stopped all his demanding, feed me behaviour. Not that he has ever been very bad, but he stopped meowing for food, or yowling to go out, or anything that it seemed would give me great effort to undertake. He just ate when I could get it together to feed him, and then when he finished, he would come and lay back next to me and spoon round my back or front and sometimes put his paws on my chin. Sometimes when I was laid crying, or anxious, he would bury right into my skin and purr and knead my belly. Or just wander round my head rubbing his chin on my face. Then when I stopped crying, he would lie down and go to sleep. He was my most important friend at that time. He sensed every mood change and when I started to get better, he retreated bit by bit back to the normal routine of yowl, feed me and so on, but it was a measurable, gradual process. I had him to the vets last week and a vet I didn't care for tried it on with him - he is normally Mr. Placid, but he was in pain and unhappy and he sunk his teeth into her arm - a proper bite - the first time I have ever seen him do that. He then hunkered down on my lap with my arms round him and I would have bitten her myself if she came anywhere near him again. He's not just a cat, he's my friend. I protect him and he protects me. He knows what's going down in my life and vice versa. We're family.

Can cats be capable of this kind of thing? Of course they fucking can.

Sam sounds like a lovely cat. Agnes behaved in almost the exact same way whenever B or I was ill or just under the weather - she wouldn't demand to go for a walk, and would be content to just go out in to the backyard to do her business - but she always seemed more like a cat in a (giant) dog's body.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2018, 17:41

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Alleged Local Policeman wrote:A few months before Baron and me got married, the crushing weight of trying to work long hours at a stressful, high level job, organising a wedding and planning a move to the US had me on my knees with crippling anxiety teetering on the cusp of depression. I took three months off work, and for about two weeks of that time I was either a rigid stick or a foetal shaking ball moving from bed to the sofa. Of my two cats, Sam, who I had had from a kitten, changed his behaviour for the entire time that I was sick. I got his stepsister when she was an adult, but Sam and I had bonded from a very young age and he has always responded to me differently. I see this from dealing with kittens where I volunteer - early handling of orphaned kittens means they blend with you and "hang out" with you - they're not just "in the same room". One baby kitten we fostered a few years ago used to sit on Baron's shoulders as he cooked - he was we and we was he.

When I was sick, Sam stopped all his demanding, feed me behaviour. Not that he has ever been very bad, but he stopped meowing for food, or yowling to go out, or anything that it seemed would give me great effort to undertake. He just ate when I could get it together to feed him, and then when he finished, he would come and lay back next to me and spoon round my back or front and sometimes put his paws on my chin. Sometimes when I was laid crying, or anxious, he would bury right into my skin and purr and knead my belly. Or just wander round my head rubbing his chin on my face. Then when I stopped crying, he would lie down and go to sleep. He was my most important friend at that time. He sensed every mood change and when I started to get better, he retreated bit by bit back to the normal routine of yowl, feed me and so on, but it was a measurable, gradual process. I had him to the vets last week and a vet I didn't care for tried it on with him - he is normally Mr. Placid, but he was in pain and unhappy and he sunk his teeth into her arm - a proper bite - the first time I have ever seen him do that. He then hunkered down on my lap with my arms round him and I would have bitten her myself if she came anywhere near him again. He's not just a cat, he's my friend. I protect him and he protects me. He knows what's going down in my life and vice versa. We're family.

Can cats be capable of this kind of thing? Of course they fucking can.

Sam sounds like a lovely cat. Agnes behaved in almost the exact same way whenever B or I was ill or just under the weather - she wouldn't demand to go for a walk, and would be content to just go out in to the backyard to do her business - but she always seemed more like a cat in a (giant) dog's body.

Awww. Agnes.

:(
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 22 Mar 2018, 17:47

I love them both but I'm pretty sure that how you treat dogs in your lifetime has something to do with what happens to you after you die.
uggy poopy doody.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2018, 17:58

What, your dog arranges your funeral?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 22 Mar 2018, 18:09

Stranger things have happened.
uggy poopy doody.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Mar 2018, 19:33

The cool thing about dogs is that this:

is the exact same kind of animal as this:

Whereas almost all domestic cats look pretty much the same.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 27 Mar 2018, 23:37

I don't mind cats. I don't trust people who don't like dogs.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Return to “Nextdoorland”