Your choice of language

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

What sort of language do you prefer

I will happily use foreign language phrases to pepper my everyday language.
29%
Flowery
18%
Efficient
36%
Don't really care
4%
I very rarely write anything of consequence to bother
11%
TXT SPK
4%

Total votes: 28

Rayge

Re: Your choice of language

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2018, 16:57

Jimbo wrote:No, not Reacher. That is another writer. Burke's guy is Dave Robecheaux and Hackbury Holland and other Holland kin. Really good writing!

Yeah that's Lee Child that Chip shared a publisher with. She did read Burke, too, though, and liked him - I get the two mixed up sometimes because of that, and I'm sure there's still a few books around the house, if Polish Girl hasn't got them. But like I said, Jimbo, my reading books for fun days are long over.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Feb 2018, 05:36

Toby wrote:I appreciate Orwell's stance and value the power of brevity, but I do think that his approach and its legacy has led to the propensity for people to reshape the language to their own ends whilst keeping within those narrow parameters. Whilst language will always be bent, twisted and amended in unexpected ways, the distrust embedded in the taste for the more unusual or exotic in our ever-expanding and changing lexicon has resulted in crimes such as changing nouns into verbs to slot into that philosophy. Abhorrent words like "monetise" sum up for me this unfortunate fashion.

I prefer shorter sentences! Unless we're talking fiction (and Kath) where I'm open to more stylistic flourishes.
king of the divan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Feb 2018, 05:53

OU812
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Feb 2018, 05:55

On a related note - how many times do you bang your empty beer mug on the counter before expecting it to be refilled?
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Feb 2018, 13:19

Sneelock wrote:On a related note - how many times do you bang your empty beer mug on the counter before expecting it to be refilled?

Considering I live practically alone, just the once.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Nextdoorland”