MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 22 Jun 2021, 22:23

Our little heat wave was over Sunday so we’re back to merely 90s with lows in upper 50s/low 60s which makes for good sleeping. I care less about the high. For me it is how cool is it going to be in the evening. As long as I can shut off the a/c and open the windows at sundown I am happified.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 24 Jun 2021, 17:32

In a second hand bookshop today, old fashioned in the the best way. I bought a Modern Jazz Quartet souvenir brochure for the UK when they were playing some dates.

Also autographed on the back cover with an autographed photo included inside. It cost me £2.50. Well pleased.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Jun 2021, 15:53

I went to a jam session/al fresco dinner at a friend’s house last night. Only the second session I’ve attended since covid restrictions were lifted. My fingers tightened up when my playing slowed to a trickle the last three months of isolation and they are improving a lot but still not where I was pre covid. At my age I can’t afford to stop playing if I want to keep it up which I do. Sessions are opening up around town both privately and at brewpubs so I just need to get back out there. My dupuytrens in my right hand has worsened which complicates things a little so I need to get that taken care of or it will only get worse. There is an injection treatment with a drug that supposedly shrinks and loosens up the growths or surgery. I’ll have to see which my health plan will provide.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jun 2021, 13:44

There was a great interview with some of the child actors from Willy Wonka on NPR this morning. The American child actors had American chocolate flown in to the film set in Munich so they could eat chocolate they were used to. Imagine being in one of the places in the world that makes spectacular chocolate and instead eating an Almond fucking Joy!
Veruca Salt is now a psychotherapist. Peter Ostrum (Charlie) never acted again and is now a vet!
Hearing this show was a coincidence as we were in Central Market on Friday and at the cash register they had big bars of chocolate with the Willy Wonka style packaging and we both instantly wanted the chocolate, just because of how it looked.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jun 2021, 14:58

Through some detective work on old family letters and my Estonian grandfather's medical records, I was able to trace the address that he was living at at the time of his death in the early 1920s and therefore my mum's childhood home. I sent a letter to the current owner, asking if I could go and nose around the place next time I was there, naming my family in the letter and not really expecting a reply. This morning I got an email from the current owner who says her grandmother remembers MY grandmother coming to visit the place after she had moved out and that I am welcome to come and look at the house anytime. Now, I just have to get let into Estonia sometime soon...

My sister also sent me a family tree pointing out how we are distantly related to Kaja Kallas, the current Prime Minister. I reckon I can write a similar letter, and with a bit of luck next time I am there she will have me over for afternoon vodka and cabbage pies while she fends off calls from Putin!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jun 2021, 05:31

Minnie the Minx wrote:There was a great interview with some of the child actors from Willy Wonka on NPR this morning. The American child actors had American chocolate flown in to the film set in Munich so they could eat chocolate they were used to. Imagine being in one of the places in the world that makes spectacular chocolate and instead eating an Almond fucking Joy!
Veruca Salt is now a psychotherapist. Peter Ostrum (Charlie) never acted again and is now a vet!
Hearing this show was a coincidence as we were in Central Market on Friday and at the cash register they had big bars of chocolate with the Willy Wonka style packaging and we both instantly wanted the chocolate, just because of how it looked.

I hope at least a few of those children tried the local chocolate before finishing the film. Fucking Hersheys is dreadful.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Jun 2021, 08:39

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:There was a great interview with some of the child actors from Willy Wonka on NPR this morning. The American child actors had American chocolate flown in to the film set in Munich so they could eat chocolate they were used to. Imagine being in one of the places in the world that makes spectacular chocolate and instead eating an Almond fucking Joy!

I hope at least a few of those children tried the local chocolate before finishing the film. Fucking Hersheys is dreadful.

I think Hershey's reputedly tastes like baby sick because it has the same substance/enzyme it in - I can't remember the reason (something to do with the war IIRC). It was on QI a few years ago.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 29 Jun 2021, 16:44

Deebank wrote:I think Hershey's reputedly tastes like baby sick because it has the same substance/enzyme it in - I can't remember the reason (something to do with the war IIRC). It was on QI a few years ago.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jun 2021, 17:20

I have heard or read that there was cotton or some cotton byproduct in Hersheys chocolate for a thickener. This was decades ago so can’t remember the source. I would rather not eat chocolate than eat Hersheys, same as Coors or other light beers here. I’d rather drink water or something else entirely and I certainly wouldn’t pay for it. We used to use Scharffenberger chocolate to cook with but slowly got away from it after Hersheys bought the company. We have a local chocolatier who uses Belgium chocolate so we buy from him most of the time.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Jun 2021, 07:54

A bloke in Denver told me they put formaldehyde in Coors :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jun 2021, 17:48

Deebank wrote:A bloke in Denver told me they put formaldehyde in Coors :lol:

Nah, it just tastes like it. :lol:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jun 2021, 18:00

Last night we had a going away party for a couple at Two Rivers Cider. They were regulars there and Jeff was a musical partner for the last two years. They are moving to San Diego so we’ll still see them every few months either here or there so it’s not goodbye. I dj’d the party, first time since last November when I stayed in the booth with a mask due to covid restrictions. This was much better. Sad to see them go as we were just getting back to playing together although I do have a session tomorrow night with other mutual friends. I could be playing tonight as well but I already had a dinner date with a friend for tonight. Our first restaurant visit since pre covid. It remains to be seen of we eat inside or out. Another jam/pool party on Saturday. Yeah, things are opening up and it feels good.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 01 Jul 2021, 10:49

I have fifteen points on my Spanish driving licence.
Bugger off.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Jul 2021, 22:28

My stepmum asked me if I had ‘got the money yet’ and I asked her what she was talking about. She mentioned an email I had sent her asking for money (I hadn’t.) oh fuck, she said, I’ve sent you three hundred quid! Luckily, she didn’t send it to the link provided by the Nigerian spammer that had sent an email that looked like mine, but to my account. She forwarded me the email that was full of appalling grammar. I called and asked how she could have been fooled that an email from me would be so badly written and that I would have been asking for a few hundred quid. She said, ‘well, I saw you were in the pub.’

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 02 Jul 2021, 15:44

I simultaneously wish this did and didn't really happen. Too funny on one side but equally maddening on the other.

Still, you gotta larf.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Jul 2021, 16:46

Someone just posted this on a "Lost and Found Cat" site ....

Hi, my name is Dulinge Marina. I am a widow and have no chance of having a child for my deceased husband. I have had cancer since 2009. I am dying and I want to give some of my assets to someone who is safe and friendly. If you are interested, please email me through this email

Email: [email protected]

:roll:
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Jul 2021, 17:30

I’m clearing out my clothes cupboard. I’ve put TWENTY TWO pairs of black skinny jeans into the charity shop bag. Twenty fucking two! What a hoarder!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Jul 2021, 05:24

My neighborhood sounds like a war zone with all the fireworks, some obviously illegal. I had to close my windows and turn on the a/c to filter out the noise. Why do we celebrate with bombs? In this day and age we ought to be over that shit. :x
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Jul 2021, 21:47

We commissioned a friend to build us some floor to ceiling CD shelves in our office in an old walk in closet space and I am absolutely bowled over at the finished job today. I think that’s the most grown up thing I’ve ever done!

Dr Markus wrote:

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 06 Jul 2021, 11:57

Minnie the Minx wrote:We commissioned a friend to build us some floor to ceiling CD shelves in our office in an old walk in closet space and I am absolutely bowled over at the finished job today. I think that’s the most grown up thing I’ve ever done!

IMO, the really grown-up thing would be to get rid of the CDs... :lol:

(says the guy with two rooms chock-full of the fuckers and still not enough shelf space)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Nextdoorland”