MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 12 Mar 2021, 21:36

Asparagus has arrived! It must be spring. Time for asparagus soup, something I make every spring without fail.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 Mar 2021, 00:36

I love asparagus. It's been rather inexpensive lately so I've been indulging to great lengths. But I'm not much of a soup guy, despite my boardname.

It's not local yet, much too early (we're expecting snow squalls this evening/overnight :roll: ). It will probably be more dear when it is available, but it is lovely indeed.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Mar 2021, 16:07

Most of the asparagus grown in California is grown near me so it is usually inexpensive during the short season. I eat it as much as possible during this time, freezing soup for later in the summer when it is gone. I don’t buy it once our season is over. I don’t think it travels well unless it is kept hydrated which most shippers aren’t going to bother with.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 Mar 2021, 17:13

Ours comes from Mexico, like a lot of our produce this time of year. Still, it's WAY better than the canned stuff. When I was growing up, my mom was a pretty big fan of canned asparagus. Imagine my surprise when I had the real, fresh stuff for the first time. A totally different experience.

In her defense though, back then the necessary infrastructure to efficiently import such things was pretty much nonexistent. There had been some improvements since the days of having the huge pleasure of getting one orange at Christmas, but it was still quite limited for crops that don't travel all that well.

Sure, we now have some greenhouses at play, but they are far from being able to match the demands of the masses. We'll see what the future brings.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Mar 2021, 00:24

I saw my first live music in over a year today. A friends band was playing in a huge outdoor beer garden with hardly anyone there. I watched and sunk a few beers in the lovely sun. I walked home through the hood and waved at everyone in their yards and I feel pretty fuckin splendid!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Mar 2021, 02:41

Excellent Anna. I look forward to my first live show. going to DJ in a couple of weeks at the ciderery.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Mar 2021, 01:43

I met a guy named Mr. Howdyshell on a job last week.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 12:50

I lost my rag with one of those people calling from India to tell me they were really calling from Microsoft and there's a problem with my Windows computer. I started demanding to know if his friends knew what he did for a living and that sort of thing. Now I'm all wound up.

I think we'll be unplugging the landline now. We only ever get spam calls.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Mar 2021, 14:32

Rorschach wrote:I lost my rag with one of those people calling from India to tell me they were really calling from Microsoft and there's a problem with my Windows computer. I started demanding to know if his friends knew what he did for a living and that sort of thing. Now I'm all wound up.

It's not worth the aggro. or your blood pressure. These days I just place the handset down beside the phone - I don't hang up - I don't speak, I just walk away.....

There's lots of unnerving spam / scam recorded phone calls to both land and mobile phones going round lately in the UK such as -

You owe HMRC money
Your broadband is about to be cut off
Someone is using your card
Thanks for ordering a new phone etc. etc.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Mar 2021, 17:06

Rorschach wrote:I lost my rag with one of those people calling from India to tell me they were really calling from Microsoft and there's a problem with my Windows computer. I started demanding to know if his friends knew what he did for a living and that sort of thing. Now I'm all wound up.

When my dad "moved out" of the house, one of the first things I did was to silence the landline phones. I don't feel I can get rid of the landline altogether, because there are still a lot of family friends and such who only have that number, and I do check the messages every day. But literally 99+% of what that line gets is spam/scam.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 17:36

Charlie O. wrote: I don't feel I can get rid of the landline altogether, because there are still a lot of family friends and such who only have that number, and I do check the messages every day. But literally 99+% of what that line gets is spam/scam.

I think it's 100% of what our phone gets, It doesn't record messages and I don't think anyone of any significance to me these days has the number any more.

So out goes that plug!
Bugger off.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Mar 2021, 20:01

Rorschach wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: I don't feel I can get rid of the landline altogether, because there are still a lot of family friends and such who only have that number, and I do check the messages every day. But literally 99+% of what that line gets is spam/scam.

I think it's 100% of what our phone gets, It doesn't record messages and I don't think anyone of any significance to me these days has the number any more.

So out goes that plug!

We got rid of our landline a few years ago for the same reason, and we don't miss it one bit.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Mar 2021, 13:29

I've never received as many spam calls as I have since I moved here, which is partially my fault as to start with, I always answered, not knowing enough about the city to identify genuine numbers. Once a working number is identified of course you're toast. I have a spam alert on my phone, but it really seems to only work for about 5% of the time.

Up until about three weeks ago, depending on my mood, I would sometimes answer. Sometimes I would pretend to be the house mouse and answer in a squeaky voice that I was a mouse, and did they have cheese? Sometimes I'd pretend I was very deaf and keep saying what? What? Other times I'd swear in a Brummie accent. My favourite though was getting texts from "potential house buyers." I'd write rambling texts back saying that I had a lawn eighteen miles long that had planning permission for landing strips and a wife with a terrible elbow. (I got elbow inspiration from my Dad, who has bursitis, and has taken to squirting the contents of this out when we Zoom like some magic act.) Then one morning I had a text that said " You are a terrible person and the scum of the earth." They had written my name on it too. I called the number later from a landline to check who it was and it was a spam sender, but someone who obviously had my details. It was pretty ironic that the message that they sent was only the things I think about myself anyway late at night and it crossed my mind to send them a message in a Woody Allen type voice - "you don't think I know this already?"

Anyway, I just don't answer ANYTHING that I don't recognise since then.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Mar 2021, 15:57

I don’t answer my phone unless the number is in my phone. If it is important they will leave a message.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 18 Mar 2021, 16:01

Six String wrote:I don’t answer my phone unless the number is in my phone. If it is important they will leave a message.

This has always been my policy but since the pandemic began my office phone has been forwarded to my cell phone so I have to answer everything between 8 and 5. :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 19:19

Dr. Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:I don’t answer my phone unless the number is in my phone. If it is important they will leave a message.

This has always been my policy but since the pandemic began my office phone has been forwarded to my cell phone so I have to answer everything between 8 and 5. :x

That's annoying.

It was always my policy too as regards my mobile. And then I'd look up the number on a phone spam website to check it really is spam and then block them.
Trouble is, in recent years it might be the hospital ringing with an appointment so I always have to answer.
Bugger off.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 Mar 2021, 16:02

I've been (seriously) entering my record collection into the Discogs database for quite a while now (ca. 4000+ vinyl items recently completed, about 25% of the CDs left to go).

I'm aware that most CDs are virtually worthless, but still:

Today, my "maximum value" crossed the threshold of 200,000 Swiss francs.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Mar 2021, 23:09

Wow!

my random stuff is much less grand: I went to the kitchen, fully ready to make myself a full dinner with chicken breast strips (sauteed, not deep fried stuff), all sorts of veggies, sauce and all. Put some frozen crap to heat up in the oven instead. Lazy bastard.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Mar 2021, 14:35

I was just up at the florists earlier (she sells lily bulbs to order) and drove past a man on the corner talking into his sleeve - nice white cuff he had. I guess that was the first undercover surveillance cop I've knowingly seen.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Mar 2021, 15:02

The bursitis story is gold :lol:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.