MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 04 Dec 2021, 17:30

Saké rice is soaking in water. Today the koji will be added to the rice with water and fermentation shall commence.
Edit: Saturday
Koji added to steamed rice that had been cooled down. Tomorrow the volume of rice, water and koji added will be doubled.

I got a text this morning to play an open mic at a nearby coffee house at 11:00 so I played five songs to good applause and a nice tip from the owner.

Prepping a kabocha squash for soup now.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 05 Dec 2021, 16:03

Six String wrote:Prepping a kabocha squash for soup now.

Thank you sir! :D :D

Kidding aside, I love squash, especially butternut squash since I'm most familiar with those. Kabocha seems very similar. I grew up with zero exposure to squash but that soon got fixed when I met my ex-wife. Her family were dairy farmers and they grew lots of healthy veggies, including squash. Mashed with butter, salt and pepper was a delight. Haven't had any for a fe years now. I will fix that forthwith.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Dec 2021, 18:45

The soup is pretty easy. Sauté thinly sliced onion in your favorite curry powder and a neutral oil. Dice the squash flesh and toss in the pot. Add enough broth to cover and cook until tender, usually 30 - 45 minutes depending on the squash. Let it cool a bit and then purée in a blender or other machine. Return to pot and add more broth to your own preference and bring up to temp. I use chicken broth but veg is fine of course. A dollop of creme fraiche in individual bowls is nice as is a little cilantro for color but neither are necessary.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 05 Dec 2021, 20:06

I'm pretty sure that's what Heaven smells like.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Dec 2021, 13:44

I made a chorizo and butternut squash hash the other day and had some of it in tacos with a drizzle of sour cream mixed with lime juice overtop, and had the rest with fried eggs on the weekend. Really damn good.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Dec 2021, 16:10

decided that going to a brooklyn hipster show that I've heard has been over sold (LCD Soundsystem 20 night run) is just too risky so decided to sell the hot ticket. I only put it up and within 2 hours sold 2 tickets for $550. My new record for sell tickets.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Dec 2021, 05:13

It was so cold I wore my dad’s Air Force dress wool coat to the cidery. When I got home my phone wouldn’t open with my finger print until my finger warmed up. It was in the 40s (F). :roll:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Dec 2021, 06:03

Danceathon tonight at Two Rivers Cider.
Rebecca stayed home. I had so many women to dance with I didn’t need her. Tomorrow is Los Lobos. Who knows what will happen.

Saké is fermenting happily. We’ll know in three weeks if it’s drinkable.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 11 Dec 2021, 13:26

You are living the life, Six String!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Dec 2021, 17:31

Six String wrote:I had so many women to dance with I didn’t need her
:lol:

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 12 Dec 2021, 17:23

We had a belated Hannukah celebration with mother-of-Baron last yesterday. We had delicious latkes, which Baron has perfected, then went to the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio - one of my favourite places- and had a slow stroll around the exhibitions and courtyard. On the way back to Austin we stopped off at IKEA to get a bit of stuff, but alas they were out of their veggie sausages (the best I have tasted in the States.) So we got muesli instead. There, that's plenty mundane!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Dec 2021, 17:45

Los Lobos was like a Footy Up. Eleven of us together with the best seats in the house. Mezcal and tacos before the show. A little saké during the show my friend brought in a water bottle and then on to The Raven after the show for whiskey night caps. Thanks to Uber everyone stayed safe. Got home at 1:30. A guy I’ve known now for over 20 years from Newcastle flew over for the show as he usually does when they play around here. He’s missed a couple of years for obvious reasons so he was thrilled to be back.
Lots of Cumbias tonight. Started with Down By The Riverbed, Evangeline, fantastic Bertha>>>Good Lovin’ >>>Bertha, encore began with Cinnamon Girl. A great night of music and friends.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Dec 2021, 17:51

Minnie Cheddars wrote:We had a belated Hannukah celebration with mother-of-Baron last yesterday. We had delicious latkes, which Baron has perfected, then went to the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio - one of my favourite places- and had a slow stroll around the exhibitions and courtyard. On the way back to Austin we stopped off at IKEA to get a bit of stuff, but alas they were out of their veggie sausages (the best I have tasted in the States.) So we got muesli instead. There, that's plenty mundane!

I went to my first Hanukkah dinner last Sunday. All the usual foods including brisket.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Dec 2021, 05:16

A triumvirate of music this weekend has come to an end. Tonight was a jazz band in the style of Trad/New Orleans consisting of banjo, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, tuba and washboard. They veered into jug band music. It was more entertaining than it probably sounds. Three nights of music from different angles and all good. Vince is going to bring tonight’s band back for Mardi Gras.

Rebecca wants to buy a washboard and take up the instrument.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Dec 2021, 06:16

So cold tonight playing open mic I almost dropped my pick twice during the last song.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Dec 2021, 06:48

Six String wrote:So cold tonight playing open mic I almost dropped my pick twice during the last song.

....as long as you held on to your bacon sandwich
Last edited by The Fish on 15 Dec 2021, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
We're way past rhubarb

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Dec 2021, 07:38

Six String wrote:It was so cold I wore my dad’s Air Force dress wool coat to the cidery. When I got home my phone wouldn’t open with my finger print until my finger warmed up. It was in the 40s (F). :roll:

You call that cold? Just late summer temperatures.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Dec 2021, 16:36

Well this is most odd. I'm working away at my home/desk and the doorbell rings. I answer to reveal an unexpected delivery man. He is carrying a lovely bouquet of flowers. The card thanks me for my 30 years of service with the company. Wonderful.

Except that this exact thing also happened 12 months ago back when it was actually 30 years to celebrate. I'm at my 31st now (we don't get bouquets every year, no!). A bit Groundhog Day-ish if you ask me. Darned computers.

Oh well. :D
Last edited by souphound on 15 Dec 2021, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Dec 2021, 16:37

Well this is most odd. I'm working away at my home/desk and the doorbell rings. I answer to reveal an unexpected delivery man. He is carrying a lovely bouquet of flowers. The card thanks me for my 30 years of service with the company. Wonderful.

Except that this exact thing also happened 12 months ago back when it was actually 30 years to celebrate. I'm at my 31st now (we don't get bouquets every year, no!). A bit Groundhog Day-ish if you ask me. Darned computers.

Oh well. :D :D

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Dec 2021, 17:18

Was that one post for each flower delivery? :D ;)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan