No votes

Total votes: 42

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

How will you vote on AV

Postby copehead » 15 Mar 2011, 18:10

This article makes some good points for the yes side:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... yes-for-av

I will be voting for change because if we get a no vote anti democracy campaigners will say that the people have rejected PR so why bother asking them again.

It is a small step in the right direction and that is more important than giving Clegg a kicking because:

a) He will get a kicking in the local elections anyway
b) You will also be voting the way Cameron wants, and he is far nastier than the useless Clegg.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Re: How will you vote on AV

Postby Billybob Dylan » 15 Mar 2011, 18:43

What's "AV"?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Mar 2011, 18:47

I really don't think so.

I think it's a waste, a total non-starter. The result of a sordid back-room deal and something that no-one really wants.
I don't even think it is marginally better than the status quo necessarily - it's just a load of farting about to get the same result.

It's a shitty compromise and what's more no one is interested - I predict a very low turnout and a marginal no vote.

I really don't care much either way, but I will probably vote no.

While it's wrong for this to turn into a protest vote against Clegg's Liberals I suspect that's what it will be.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 15 Mar 2011, 18:47

Billybob Dylan wrote:What's "AV"?
The Alternative Vote system due to be put before a referendum this summer over here.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Mar 2011, 18:50

Billybob Dylan wrote:What's "AV"?

Alternative vote system - where the last candidate on a ballot gets eliminated and the 'second choices' on all their votes reallocated and so on until one candidate gets over a winning threshold.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 15 Mar 2011, 18:50

Isn't it just a sop for the real thing? And I still have the Clegg objection.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 15 Mar 2011, 18:50

It's, "Alternative Vote".

As part of their coalition deal, the Lib Dems wrangled a referendum on changing the voting system from, "First past the post" to a form of proportional representation, where voters have second and third choices allowing votes to be transferred to other candidates once the winning candidate has reached a set quota.

Proportional representation would benefit the Lib Dems in that they have (had!) a wide spread of support thinly spread over many constituencies. It's designed to break down a two party system but usually just leaves a permanent state of coalition.

I don't know why we're having a referendum on it in Northern Ireland - we already have the Single Transferrable Vote system here.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Mar 2011, 18:52

Beebsy wrote:It's, "Alternative Vote".

As part of their coalition deal, the Lib Dems wrangled a referendum on changing the voting system from, "First past the post" to a form of proportional representation, where voters have second and third choices allowing votes to be transferred to other candidates once the winning candidate has reached a set quota.

Proportional representation would benefit the Lib Dems in that they have (had!) a wide spread of support thinly spread over many constituencies. It's designed to break down a two party system but usually just leaves a permanent state of coalition.

I don't know why we're having a referendum on it in Northern Ireland - we already have the Single Transferrable Vote system here.

STV is a much better option in my opinion.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 15 Mar 2011, 18:58

I think so too. The AV system is a much weaker version.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 15 Mar 2011, 19:13

I'd much rather have proper PR, or failing that STV but at least its a start.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 15 Mar 2011, 19:13

Deebank wrote:I really don't think so.

I think it's a waste, a total non-starter. The result of a sordid back-room deal and something that no-one really wants.
I don't even think it is marginally better than the status quo necessarily - it's just a load of farting about to get the same result.

It's a shitty compromise and what's more no one is interested - I predict a very low turnout and a marginal no vote.

I really don't care much either way, but I will probably vote no.

While it's wrong for this to turn into a protest vote against Clegg's Liberals I suspect that's what it will be.

This sums up my view on AV, except I'll probably vote yes, but with little enthusiasm.

BTW, This is interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11609887

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 15 Mar 2011, 19:30

So in other words it's a case of "we can't win with the current 'first-past-the-post' system so we're going to move the goalposts."

Is that about the size of it?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 15 Mar 2011, 19:40

Beebsy wrote:As part of their coalition deal, the Lib Dems wrangled a referendum on changing the voting system from, "First past the post" to a form of proportional representation, where voters have second and third choices allowing votes to be transferred to other candidates once the winning candidate has reached a set quota.
I'm no expert, but haven't you just described STV, rather than AV? I thought AV was where if no candidate had an outright majority, the LOWEST ranked candidate was eliminated and his/her voters' second choices counted, etc.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 15 Mar 2011, 19:50

Who the fuck are 'Jury Team' ?

I have it on good authority that the Fox and Goose Outdoor Smoking Area Put The World To Rights Alliance would prefer STV, and object to the vote being held on a day when the pub is open.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 15 Mar 2011, 19:52

Billybob Dylan wrote:So in other words it's a case of "we can't win with the current 'first-past-the-post' system so we're going to move the goalposts."

Is that about the size of it?

Or a step in the direction of a fairer system to put it another way

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 15 Mar 2011, 19:58

corporate whore wrote:Who the fuck are 'Jury Team' ?

that was a new one on me too:
http://www.juryteam.org/

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 15 Mar 2011, 20:26

I think AV is completely mad. I don't have any interest in placing my candidates in order of preference. What the fuck are they talking about. In what universe is a Labour candidate preferable to piles? I have one vote, and I will give it to one candidate thank you very much. Any other system is just going to be a catastrophe. What the government should be doing is making voting compulsory, so that the final result actually reflects opinion. There should be a no vote option, but it should be required that every adult cast a vote. I also think elections should take place over a three day period, rather than a single day. What is the hurry , after all??
You don't like me...do you?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 15 Mar 2011, 20:48

yomptepi wrote:I think AV is completely mad. I don't have any interest in placing my candidates in order of preference. What the fuck are they talking about. In what universe is a Labour candidate preferable to piles? I have one vote, and I will give it to one candidate thank you very much. Any other system is just going to be a catastrophe. What the government should be doing is making voting compulsory, so that the final result actually reflects opinion. There should be a no vote option, but it should be required that every adult cast a vote. I also think elections should take place over a three day period, rather than a single day. What is the hurry , after all??

The trouble with that is most people live in seats that would vote for a pig in a red or blue rosette so most of us have no democratic voice in this country.

PR gives everyone's vote equal weight atthe moment you have to live in one of about 100 constituencies to have any democratic voice, I want that to change

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 15 Mar 2011, 21:10

Jude wrote:
Beebsy wrote:As part of their coalition deal, the Lib Dems wrangled a referendum on changing the voting system from, "First past the post" to a form of proportional representation, where voters have second and third choices allowing votes to be transferred to other candidates once the winning candidate has reached a set quota.
I'm no expert, but haven't you just described STV, rather than AV? I thought AV was where if no candidate had an outright majority, the LOWEST ranked candidate was eliminated and his/her voters' second choices counted, etc.

Oops, yes. I was thinking of our far superior STV system. :oops: :D

Well, well. Let's look to Norn Iron as to how to operate a fair voting system. :lol:

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 15 Mar 2011, 21:14

Beebsy wrote:Well, well. Let's look to Norn Iron as to how to operate a fair voting system. :lol:

I like what I am seeing in Zimbabwe too. Democracy in action,!!!
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Nextdoorland”