Uvalde TX School Shooting

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Mike Boom

Uvalde TX School Shooting

Postby Mike Boom » 25 May 2022, 22:27

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/25/ted-cruz-lawmakers-money-gun-rights-groups

Congress members with the most contributions from gun rights groups - top with $442K Ted "Cancun" Cruz

19 children and 2 adults shot dead at school in Uvalde TX, Teds solution ? More armed law enforcement at schools and arming the teachers!

Cruz, fellow Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott are to speak Friday at the National Rifle Association’s 2022 annual meeting in Houston.

never/ever

Re: Uvalde TX School Shooting

Postby never/ever » 25 May 2022, 23:19

And yet again it's about the gun lobby.

The kid that shot everyone was bullied as a child, grew resentful, increasingly violent which got noted by family, friends and peers and no one reached out to diffuse or help.
It's more than just a footnote, you can see a lot of comparisons with other perpetrators of these type of crimes.
Help your fucking youth first!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2022, 00:14

Of course it's about gun control.

Childhood bullying is never going to stop. Blaming adults for not 'reaching out' to kids who show violent tendencies because of bullying is a bit rich. I mean good luck with that. When the GOP is allowed to accept contributions from the NRA, they're never going to do anything about gun control. It is now, and has been always about money. Every time this happens there's always an immediate outcry and mass wringing of hands from people crying 'what are we going to do about this?' And nothing is ever done, because there's nothing to be done as long as politicians are able to accept money from guns rights groups.
Johnny Coan, describing the members of Preludin with no irony whatsofuckingever:
"Dopey lethargic cunts sitting around the table waiting to be fed."

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 May 2022, 00:52

never/ever wrote:And yet again it's about the gun lobby.

The kid that shot everyone was bullied as a child, grew resentful, increasingly violent which got noted by family, friends and peers and no one reached out to diffuse or help.
It's more than just a footnote, you can see a lot of comparisons with other perpetrators of these type of crimes.

WTF ?

The problem is he then went out on his 18th birthday and legally purchased two AR-15s and shot dead 21 people, 19 of which were young kids at a school. They couldn't even identify a lot of them because the gun had made such a fucking mess of them.

Help your fucking youth first ?

What about helping those children that were massacred by not allowing a mentally ill 18 year old to go and buy an automatic fucking rifle.
Your exactly fucking wrong.

Make it impossible for a mentally unstable 18 year old to buy an automatic rifle first.
He can't legally buy a beer in Texas but he can buy an AR-15 ?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 May 2022, 03:54

Mike Boom wrote:

WTF ?

The problem is he then went out on his 18th birthday and legally purchased two AR-15s and shot dead 21 people, 19 of which were young kids at a school. They couldn't even identify a lot of them because the gun had made such a fucking mess of them.

What about helping those children that were massacred by not allowing a mentally ill 18 year old to go and buy an automatic fucking rifle.

Make it impossible for a mentally unstable 18 year old to buy an automatic rifle first.

Make it impossible?
Good fucking luck champ.
People who want guns, bombs & drugs will find a way. Whether it's illegal or not, they can get anything they want- deepweb, black market, wherever.
And you want to question my premiss while I not even questioning whether prohibiting the sale of guns is gonna help? How about the next cocksucker just lobs a bomb in a school? Knife a bunch of bystanders? Drives his car into a mob of people? Take away their tools, yes but uproot the underlying problem too- there are too many basket cases with all these recognisable symptoms that get ignored- that's the core root of the problem. Why do they feel the need to do it- no one knows but it needs to be understood and it needs to be dealt with before the next mass shooting happens.

That is what I am talking about.

Go ahead, butt heads with the NRA and the Ted Cruz's of the world. Will it make the damnedest bit of difference to the next lowdown thinking about making a name for himself?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 May 2022, 05:56

Why aren’t there mass shootings in other countries on the same scale as the US ? Because assault rifles aren’t so readily available, simple.
Sure you can’t make it impossible but you can make it harder than it is. When is the last time somebody blew up a fucking school with a bomb? Never. There are mass shootings like this every couple of months because it’s so easy to get an automatic rifle. Common sense gun laws with background checks and banning of semi automatic weapons for sale to the general public is SOMETHING that can be done right now. The current situation is NOT WORKING , and your plan is to root out the basket cases ? Yeah good luck with that “champ”.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 May 2022, 07:39

Maybe begin with the premise that the right to own or bear arms is at least limited. A single shell hunting rifle or a revolver. I fail to see the need for automatic rifles or an Uzi as a means to defend your home or person.
How many senators or congressman actually receive money from the NRA . Are there enough who do not and is there a way of changing the law or rules that allow them to contribute to political campaigns or members ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 May 2022, 07:55

You can never get rid of bullying completely. Even if you legislate against bullying like we have done in Denmark, still it persists. And if you pass a general law against guns, the baddies will get a hold of them anyway. Best thing is to make it as difficult to acquire a gun as possible, as has been suggested. There will be mounting opposition to guns as the death toll rises.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 May 2022, 08:02

So this is the event that will finally gets change happening, considering several states now openly endorsing open gun carrying?

Considering the amount of mass shootings resulting in gun control debates and ending up with nothing being done effectively, I'll take my chances with stimulating measures to identify and combat mental health issues among the (young) population, thereby reducing the need for them to go on this rapid decline of moral iintegrity and self-destructive behaviour.
Seems to me an equal massive amount of work but at least it's not something that gets filibustered into oblivion.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 May 2022, 09:12

Mike Boom wrote: When is the last time somebody blew up a fucking school with a bomb? Never.

Ahem. Point of order.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ted_States

Even I had heard of the Bath School disaster, having written an article about Columbine.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 26 May 2022, 11:50

This place may get better eventually, I still believe that is possible. But before that happens, it will get worse. I’m sick and I’m tired of it. Whatever residual goodwill I had for this place is down to vapors. What an unremitting, appalling, inexcusable shitshow.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 27 May 2022, 07:26

As a writer in the Graun has commented, this is not some one-off horror, but just another day in America. Sure the US no doubt has social problems, as do all countries, but the effects of those are exponentially and disproportionately exaggerated in the US because of the availability of guns, and in particular the availability of automatic and semi- automatic weapons.

Meanwhile I see the husband of one of the murdered teachers died of a heart attack yesterday, leaving four kids (teenagers/young adults) orphaned.

And this list of US mass shootings in 2022 is just staggering. Not all are fatal, and it says organised crime/gan-relted shootings are included (where it is reasonable to asume that someone really wanted to get hold of a gun and would do illegally). A different stat tells me there have been 214 mass shootings in the US this year, and so far only 164 days. This is not normal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 May 2022, 13:16

Mike Boom wrote:

WTF ?

I would suggest making the ownership of automatic and semi-automatic weapons illegal and strictly regulate everything else. Even the right wing nutters in the UK don't seem to think their precious freedoms are being impinged by this.... Farage has said a few things about legalising this sort of thing but I suspect that is just posturing - there is no support for this even from gun enthusiasts.

No civilian needs an AR15. What possible excuse is there? It's fucking madness
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 May 2022, 00:02

In Texas, you can buy an AR-15 at eighteen years old, but you can't buy a beer, which can be as low as 4% alcohol.

This is what Republicans have done to this country.
Johnny Coan, describing the members of Preludin with no irony whatsofuckingever:
"Dopey lethargic cunts sitting around the table waiting to be fed."

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 28 May 2022, 03:24

Matt Wilson wrote:In Texas, you can buy an AR-15 at eighteen years old, but you can't buy a beer, which can be as low as 4% alcohol.

I agree. Lowering the drinking age is long overdue!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 May 2022, 18:28

Saw this meme the other day.

LETS TAKE A MOMENT TO
HONOR
THE
SACRIFICE OF
OUR BRAVE SCHOOL CHILDREN
WHO LAY DOWN THEIR
LIVES
• TO PROTECT OUR
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

:cry:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 29 May 2022, 10:07

Six String wrote:Saw this meme the other day.

LETS TAKE A MOMENT TO
HONOR
THE
SACRIFICE OF
WHO LAY DOWN THEIR
LIVES
• TO PROTECT OUR
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Actually that is quite powerful, and operates on several levels. I will probably adopt it, or some version of it.

OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board

Postby OUTPLAY » 29 May 2022, 11:40

I've seen it several times accompanied by an image or a cartoon (which I won't post here) which makes it even more powerful.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 May 2022, 15:57

Positive Passion wrote:
Six String wrote:Saw this meme the other day.

LETS TAKE A MOMENT TO
HONOR
THE
SACRIFICE OF
WHO LAY DOWN THEIR
LIVES
• TO PROTECT OUR
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Actually that is quite powerful, and operates on several levels. I will probably adopt it, or some version of it.

Well yes. The emoji was just for emphasis.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 May 2022, 15:59

der Freiherr wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:In Texas, you can buy an AR-15 at eighteen years old, but you can't buy a beer, which can be as low as 4% alcohol.

I agree. Lowering the drinking age is long overdue!

The year I turned 19 Texas lowered the drinking age to 18. It was sometime after I left the state that it reverted back to 21.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan