Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby souphound » 04 Dec 2021, 16:34

That sucks I'm lucky to work for a company that is at the other end of the spectrum. Going in is still 100% optional and not recommended unless absolutely necessary. We no longer have to advise of our intention to go beforehand, but it's still desertland.

Working from home (and believe me, I work a lot more hours from home than I did when at the office) wherever and whenever possible makes a lot of sense. And te large majority of people like it too. Win-win. But then, of course it depends a lot on the nature of the work to be done.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 Dec 2021, 19:17

Yep. I reckon I get a lot more work done at home than I do in the office. Less distractions for a start.

In other news, I had my booster yesterday and today I feel absolutely rotten. First time I've had a reaction to a Covid jab but I hope it clears up straight away, I have an appointment to watch all of Let it Be with a friend tomorrow!
Bugger off.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 07 Dec 2021, 20:16

I’m not often moved to want to break windows these days but the video in this news article showing Johnson cronies laughing about not socially distancing has boiled my piss to the max

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tmas-party
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 Dec 2021, 11:15

Don't anyone start a thread entitled, Jethro RIP. It looks like the comedian of the same name is another victim of Covid 19.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Dec 2021, 07:43

The Prof wrote:Don't anyone start a thread entitled, Jethro RIP. It looks like the comedian of the same name is another victim of Covid 19.

What, there's a comedian called Jethro Q Walrustitty? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Dec 2021, 15:35

Long week. Drove my Nephew back from Cornell last Tuesday to my brothers home( 3 hour ride). He tested negative right before I picked him up, his roommate tested positive a few days before. We drove with the window down and all masked. The next day he tested positive. I had a really bad headache and some fever. I was better on Sunday. NY has been a mess to get tested this week (4 hours waits), however in westchester its by appointment only and finally was able to get tested on Tuesday by my doctor's asst, who came to my car. Got results back today. Negative.

I'm not sure I'm understanding how that's possible if he tested positive and had my same symptoms. Thinking now by the time I got tested I was already negative after being positive?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 23 Dec 2021, 22:47

In several Euro countries they're going to require double masking in shops and public transport. And they're saying boosters will lose their effectiveniss after 3-4 months. They're starting to lose me, to be honest.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 02 Jan 2022, 03:36

We decided shortly before our planned U.K/Estonia trip at NY to cancel due to omicron uncertainty. I was fucking heartbroken but have been reassured it was the right thing to do given that a ton of my family, all vaccinated, have gone down with it and are all isolating in the rooms we planned to stay in. We would absolutely have got it and not been able to travel to Estonia and may even have missed our flight back to the US. What a fucking debacle.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jan 2022, 13:40

I thought this was extraordinary. I just watched a news item on Sky News UK (I missed the name of the hospital) about a geriatric bay (they have that archaic term posted on the glass wall) of 6 patients.
One of them is fit & well and ready to return home with all provisions/family at the ready but he/she can't be discharged because One of the remaining 5 is testing positive for Covid (which variant not mentioned) and he/she won't be discharged until all 6 in the bay are testing clear.
I can see the rationale behind it, it's just such a mess in terms of bed availability.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 08 Jan 2022, 15:55

Samoan wrote:I thought this was extraordinary. I just watched a news item on Sky News UK (I missed the name of the hospital) about a geriatric bay (they have that archaic term posted on the glass wall) of 6 patients.
One of them is fit & well and ready to return home with all provisions/family at the ready but he/she can't be discharged because One of the remaining 5 is testing positive for Covid (which variant not mentioned) and he/she won't be discharged until all 6 in the bay are testing clear.
I can see the rationale behind it, it's just such a mess in terms of bed availability.

Yes! One of my best friends who was the COO at a local hospital (in U.K.) was begged to come out of retirement temporarily to help with exactly this kind of stuff and work in bed management. Absolute chaos.

Meanwhile my Dad now has covid which is the situation I dreaded but he seems to be doing well.

Dr Markus wrote:

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jan 2022, 08:05

Wife's just tested positive but I'm still negative. Yesterday, our son went away with a bunch of friends to stay in our holiday house for a couple of days. According to the law he doesn't have to isolate but I can't help thinking they've probably all got it now.

It feels like about half the people I know either have it now or have had it very recently. The other waves weren't anything like this.
Bugger off.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jan 2022, 15:00

Not sure of the nuances in this but a new study is suggesting that, vaxxed or not, you stand more chance of getting Omicron if you have previously been infected with Covid.

Which seems weird to me.

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Jan 2022, 16:50

I know more people who have had covid recently than at any other time of the pandemic.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Jan 2022, 17:27

In terms of cases in general (not just people I know), I find it's getting difficult to put any faith in published numbers, here at least. PCR tests are no longer generally accessible (since early Jan 2022) - you need to click at least one of these boxes to qualify for one:

PCR tests performed in screening clinics are now reserved for symptomatic individuals belonging to the following groups:
People who are hospitalized
Emergency room patients
Health care workers in contact with patients
Staff, residents, essential care providers and visitors in hospitals and group lodging facilities
Ambulatory patients for whom COVID-19 treatment is being considered
Homeless people or those in precarious residential situations

PCR tests will also be reserved for:
People who live in First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities or travel there for work
People transferred to or from a hospital or group home
Symptomatic OR asymptomatic people in settings where confirmed or suspected outbreaks have occurred
Asymptomatic people in hospitals, long-term care facilities and group lodging settings

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-reserves-pcr-testing-for-select-high-risk-groups-1.5728068

Rapid tests have been "distributed" far and wide but to be honest, you can find them if you're lucky, at the right place right time kind of thing. Nobody has any idea how many of these raopid tests are being used or what the results are in the great majority of cases I would think.

The only numbers I can put any faith in is the number of hospitalizations, especially those in intensive care, and the number of deaths. Even with these, I'm not sure exactly how they are being looked at. Very confusing.

All that being said, I believe the number of infections is way above whatever number they can officially get to. But nobody knows for sure. Arrrggghhh.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 Jan 2022, 23:47

Surely PCR tests are still available at private clinics for $80.00 a stick-up-your-nose?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Jan 2022, 23:50

The singer/songwriter I’ve been playing drums with has covid. One of his children got it ahead of him so probably his source. Fortunately for me he contracted it a few days after we last played together so I should be safe. His wife and other child haven’t come down with it so far.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 27 Jan 2022, 00:39

mudshark wrote:Surely PCR tests are still available at private clinics for $80.00 a stick-up-your-nose?

They are (cheapest is C$99 apparently, so not far). At least in the larger cities/towns. How many people can they accomodate though? I haven't got a clue. But if someone really needs one, like for work or something (like their sanity), I'm sure they can get one.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Jan 2022, 11:17

A friend of mine in London caught it about 3 weeks ago which synced. with a new romance up in Edinburgh.
Love will out after all this time.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Jan 2022, 12:35

The first day you don't have to legally wear a mask in shops and I've suddenly noticed more people than usual wearing them!

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 28 Jan 2022, 13:42

The Prof wrote:The first day you don't have to legally wear a mask in shops and I've suddenly noticed more people than usual wearing them!

I'm not having the government tell me what to do. If I want to wear a mask I will.