Food questions

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Food questions

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 17 Jan 2022, 18:52

If it's a choice between a TUC biscuit and a Jacobs Cream Cracker, what are you going to do?

What was the best thing you ate at the weekend?

If you're eating toast for breakfast, and you have say, Marmite on one slice and orange marmalade on the other, what order do you eat them in and why?

I've been enjoying Grace Dent's Comfort Eating podcasts- so many of the things people enjoy eating are rooted deep in childhood memories. Do you still eat anything regularly that you had all the time growing up, to make yourself feel better?

What are you going to eat tonight? Will there be leftovers, and will you have them for lunch tomorrow?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Food questions

Postby souphound » 17 Jan 2022, 19:18

If it's a choice between a TUC biscuit and a Jacobs Cream Cracker, what are you going to do?
Never had either, but from the looks of them I think 'd go for the TUC. I'd cut some cheddar or Edam alongside somne garlic pâté.
A few Thompson seedless on the side and Bob's my uncle.

Not a particularly good weekend for food I'm afraid. I have too much food on hand and am trying to use up what I have. So, I guess I'd go for the honey-mustard glazed boneless chicken thighs I made last night with oven-roasted dressed up potato wedges (I say "dressed up" because I just went willy nilly with spices and herbs, mixed with olive oil as a coating. Broccoli and baby carrots on the side.

If you're eating toast for breakfast, and you have say, Marmite on one slice and orange marmalade on the other, what order do you eat them in and why?
I'd ditch them both and prepare myself a couple more with butter and peanut butter. Never had Marmite and marmalades just ain't for me. Jam maybe.

I've been enjoying Grace Dent's Comfort Eating podcasts- so many of the things people enjoy eating are rooted deep in childhood memories. Do you still eat anything regularly that you had all the time growing up, to make yourself feel better?
Not really regularly, but on occasion. A few days ago marked the thord anniversary of my mom's funeral. When I was growing up, my mom made us a chocolate cake EVERY DAY. And I ate most of that cake EVERY DAY. So, to mark the anniversary, I baked one for myself. Poor bastard only lasted 2 days. And I stretched to make it last.

What are you going to eat tonight? Will there be leftovers, and will you have them for lunch tomorrow?
Just took a zucchini-walnut loaf out of the oven so my place smells heavenly at the moment. Getting hungry. I will probably have something simple like sausages and rice with a veggie and one or two hard-boiled eggs or something like that. Still clearing out stuff.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Jan 2022, 19:53

I'd rather have a Nairn's cheese oatcake, please.

A Rib Eye Steak fried in olive oil, cider vinegar and rock salt with sliced orange and yellow peppers.

That's exactly what I do have for breakfast but I have 2 first with Marmite (or Vegemite - it spreads more easily in this cold weather) then 2 with Frank Cooper's marmalade. Savoury first then sweet.

Three and a half minute soft boiled eggs.
Cinnamon toast.

I just had some Jarlsberg cheese on toast.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 17 Jan 2022, 20:17

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Marmite on one slice and orange marmalade on the other

I read this as "Marmite on one SIDE and orange marmalade on the other" and it blew my mind!

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 17 Jan 2022, 21:16

Biscuits ~ would go to the shop and buy chocolate digestives.

Weekend - breakfast - sausages, big mushroom, grilled tomatoes, toast. I grill the mushroom under the sausages so the mushroom cooks in the juices. Ace.
I have a cooked breakfast everyday.

Marmite - I eat Vegemite, and not marmalade.

Childhood - I make this thing we call “curried sausage”- which is (no surprise) chopped up sausage in a sauce involving onions and tinned tomatoes and curry spices. My mum used to make it and it is my go to comfort food.

Tonight - we had some kind of breaded chicken thing with a root veg pasta side. There were no leftovers. However we often do have leftovers and either eat them for lunch next day (my wife had last night’s leftovers for lunch today) or I use them to make something else for the next night’s dinner.
Last edited by Positive Passion on 17 Jan 2022, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 17 Jan 2022, 21:18

Samoan wrote:Cinnamon toast.

Very good call

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Jan 2022, 21:42

I haven’t had TUCs before but like McVittie’s. If it was by itself I’d go with the biscuit but otherwise would choose the cracker. I generally prefer savory over sweet.

Lamb London broil and roasted Japanese sweet potatoes, parsnips and golden beets.

Marmite first then marmalade because going from sweet to savory is weird.

I don’t generally eat food to feel better unless we’re talking hunger. I suppose grilled cheese sandwiches would work for the question or maybe a hamburger.

Bean and barley soup with ground pork, the holy trinity, a bit of sweet potato I didn’t use in the roasted veg noted above and kale. In fact while typing this out I realised I had left the kale out so glad I read this now as the soup just finished but thanks to the beans and barley still being toothsome I was able to chop the kale and toss it in for another thirty minutes. And yes, I’ll be having more tomorrow.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Jan 2022, 23:04

Research! Don't know what either is.

Nothing too special. We had pizza from a local joint called Joseppi's on game night Friday, Red Robin takeout for football day Saturday, and last night burgers from Wendy after a harrowing drive back from Dayton on icy roads. Best was probably the chicken and avocado sandwich I got from Red Robin.

Mar...mite?

Yeah, I eat a lot of the same things I ate as a child, though I'm more adventurous in terms of international cuisine these days, and I like seafood now. One thing I had regularly as a child and still occasionally have is flour tortillas with meals, although I mainly switched to corn.

Ann will probably whip up someting with egg noodles or pasta and canned chicken. We rarely have leftovers.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 18 Jan 2022, 09:02

Cracker every time. There's something faintly sinister about TUCs. They are sweet biscuits masquerading as savoury.

An unctuous lamb tagine

Cut out the middle man and just spread both on one piece of toast with peanut butter and banana and the deep fry in butter. The King would be proud.

Fuck no. I grew up in then 60s and 70s food was shit.

Fish fingers in Pitta. Put some hummus and salad in the pitta.I've only got 20 fish fingers so its unlikely there will be leftovers.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Jan 2022, 16:33

TUC

HOME-MADE GUMBO

NEVER HAD ANY OF EITHER

CHAR KWAY TEOW

HOME-MADE GUMBO AND YES!
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Jan 2022, 22:33

TUC biscuit - you damn Brits that's a cracker in my mind :lol: and better than the other one.

staying at my brothers baby sitting the cat so a better stove (gas flame) - therefore we made a pasta dish with sage, peas, prosciutto, butter, heavy cream, mushrooms, also two omelets with plenty of fixings

If you're eating toast for breakfast, and you have say, Marmite on one slice and orange marmalade on the other, what order do you eat them in and why? Marmite is the most vile thing I've ever tasted, okay not that bad. I would go with the OM but really can we get any other flavored jelly - grape, strawberry or rasberry preferred. To answer the question I would eat the OM then throw the Marmite in the garbage

hm I guess the safe answer is tunafish on a bagel, lox on a bagel. noodle kugel and an old chicken dish(peaches and herbs).

tonight is a wild card have to shop for my salad fixing for the rest of the week, but typical cheat on shop day so it could be anything, rest of the week its salad with either chicken or fish on top

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 19 Jan 2022, 01:21

If it's a cream cracker on its own - TUC. TUC have a naughty smokiness that helps them stand up on their own. If it's a cream cracker with a topping, no contest.

Baron made this great Jamie Oliver recipe involving a cauliflower, olives, thyme, lemon, tomatoes, mustard greens, peas and potatoes - stewed then wanged in the oven. I don't think he was crazy about it but it was superb, especially with soft rye bread soaking up the juices.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to see other people noting the proper order of sweet and savoury. OBVIOUSLY it's Marmite first - then marmalade, the pudding section of breakfast.

It's funny, I listened to another one of those podcasts today and it seems that almost everybody has offered up something on toast as their comfort food - or something in a sandwich. How bedded we are in lovely bread. I was crazy for nuts and crisps -still am - and when I open a bag of crisps I always have the feeling that it's a reward and a comfort. I suppose though my go to is a chip butty - if I am on my own, or a bit miserable, put some chips in a teacake and it's a lovely carby benzo.

We had some vegan mac and cheese, stir fried cabbage, peas, roast peppers and courgettes. I made enough for tomorrow's lunch but instead decided to put the leftovers in the feeezer so we could have them next week. It's fucking rock and roll central here in Austin, I can tell you.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 19 Jan 2022, 03:37

I don't know what a TUC biscuit is and find the mania for Jacobs Cream Crackers to be baffling. Tunnocks teacakes, now that's something!

Some takeout thai food. I got two red-curry based things. They were both pretty hard to beat.

I am not British and have no hangups that would result in a right or wrong answer to this question.

Lately while it's plausibly chilly out, I've been having cream of wheat for breakfast. Which I love. I do too good a job mixing it in, though. It needs to have some lumps. And cream for that matter.

We had roasted vegetables and vegan mac 'n' cheese. If there are leftovers, the would be likely candidates for lunch tomorrow, but that's out of my hands.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 19 Jan 2022, 07:17

Tuc, but preferably with something; cheese or jam. I really don't get cream crackers.

We just bought a new house out of town with a built-in barbecue in the back patio. When I finally got the fucker to work (I do NOT recommend organic firelighters) I just cooked some sausages and they were wonderful.

Marmite for the entree and marmalade for pudding. Though I'm not a big fan of marmalade and would prefer to 'leave it for later'.

Hienz Beans and cheese on toast. Though not at the same time. There are others I eat irregularly, when I get round to visiting the British food shop, A Taste of Home.

No idea what's for tea. I imagine my wife will make something and any leftovers will be eaten some time during the night by Louis Santiago who is 18 and a gymnast and has a bottomless pit of an appetite.
Bugger off.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 20 Jan 2022, 17:46

TUC biscuit. Preferably with a bit of butter or maybe cheese. Cream crackers are the culinary equivalent of ceiling tiles.

A bruschetta at Borrelli's delicatessen in Yarm. Lovely stuff.

Marmite is Satan's skidmarks. I don't mind marmalade, but my preference on toast in the morning is peanut butter or jam.

Not really. I remember my Mam used to give me bread with butter and sugar on it quite often. If I ate that regularly now I'd be about 40 stone.

Nothing planned yet. But there definitely won't be leftovers.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Jan 2022, 19:28

Rorschach wrote:

We just bought a new house out of town with a built-in barbecue in the back patio. When I finally got the fucker to work (I do NOT recommend organic firelighters) I just cooked some sausages and they were wonderful.

Where are mine?

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 23 Jan 2022, 09:29

Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Where are mine?

We set a place for you but you never turned up!

Had to give yours to the dog.
Bugger off.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Jan 2022, 10:39

I've only got 20 fish fingers so its unlikely there will be leftovers.

:D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Jan 2022, 19:10

If it's a choice between a TUC biscuit and a Jacobs Cream Cracker, what are you going to do? I love love cream crackers ; no contest

What was the best thing you ate at the weekend? C o-op do smashing fruit scones. I like them as they are; no butter.

If you're eating toast for breakfast, and you have say, Marmite on one slice and orange marmalade on the other, what order do you eat them in and why? Marmalade is vile . If we can talk marmite & Nutella, then deffo savoury first.

I've been enjoying Grace Dent's Comfort Eating podcasts- so many of the things people enjoy eating are rooted deep in childhood memories. Do you still eat anything regularly that you had all the time growing up, to make yourself feel better? Boiled egg, bread and butter. Generally, anything involving toast.

What are you going to eat tonight? Will there be leftovers, and will you have them for lunch tomorrow? co-op plug again- their spicy bean burgers with a nacho coating, jacket spud and peas. I rarely leave anything :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.