A pachyderm's survival guide to forum stuff

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

A pachyderm's survival guide to forum stuff

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Apr 2021, 22:08

The internet is an exciting place, full of high adventure and brotherly love, but also the home of the troll. Originally a Norwegian folkloric figure, the internet troll lives for the spats; seeing the target get worked up is the ultimate reward, and any rebuttal or snappy retort is futile.

Which is why a survival guide is necessary:

1. you need thick skin
2. don't feed the troll, but don't expect him to stop on account of that
3. the ignore function is just that, an ignore function to hide unwelcome comments, so why are you clicking anyway
4. grow a pair - if you have already, grow another pair
5. live with it
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Re: A pachyderm's survival guide to forum stuff

Postby Flower » 03 Apr 2021, 12:57

Good advice GM but you forgot that trolls follow their victims from thread to thread making fools of themselves and NOT their victims. It's easy to ignore trolls and healthy too.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Apr 2021, 14:08

Flower wrote:Good advice GM but you forgot that trolls follow their victims from thread to thread making fools of themselves and NOT their victims. It's easy to ignore trolls and healthy too.

Troll doesn't care. It's an endurance test.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Apr 2021, 23:05

"Artgar" has just had another go at me. This time I didn't click on his "hidden" post. The ignore function is sweet, if you can resist the temptation to click.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Apr 2021, 20:32

Never liked him. Bright Eyes is a terrible song.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 20:33

mudshark wrote:Never liked him. Bright Eyes is a terrible song.

:lol:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 01:34

Take out a sub:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2021, 11:42

GoogaMooga wrote:"Artgar" has just had another go at me. This time I didn't click on his "hidden" post. The ignore function is sweet, if you can resist the temptation to click.

Artgar?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 14:21

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:"Artgar" has just had another go at me. This time I didn't click on his "hidden" post. The ignore function is sweet, if you can resist the temptation to click.

Artgar?

A man of many aliases.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2021, 14:51

GoogaMooga wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

Artgar?

A man of many aliases.

Amoma then :D

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 19 Apr 2021, 14:52

I don't know Googs, you are keeping the past alive and creating a thread about it and yet it seems you are oblivious to other posters who have/ do tear a strip off of you on many of your musings.
If it is just one poster who upsets you, then you know , rise above it. Trolling pisses me off , moaning about trolling pisses me off and, threads about moaning about trolls and how to deal with them while moaning about how to deal with them when you are obviously not dealing with them also pisses me off.
There are others who have a go at you. Some people will defend your often inane posts and others will join in and some will defend your right to post them because they believe you should and some will side with you because they dont like troll#1 not because they support you so much.
So , to recap. Posting about how to deal with trolls is fine. But , you know. Take your own fucking advice.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 17:24

BCB is so hostile... I don't know that my threads are any more inane than so many others. At least I post a great variety, hit or miss. If you guys really prefer a dormant Yakety Yak or all prog, I'll gladly rein in, or even jump ship. Seems that those who complain the most about my threads are the very same who don't start any threads themselves.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Apr 2021, 17:46

I think you should start more threads!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Apr 2021, 18:16

Haven't seen one of those new varied threads from GoogaMooga in the past 15 minutes. What's going on??
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2021, 18:44

GoogaMooga wrote:BCB is so hostile... I don't know that my threads are any more inane than so many others. At least I post a great variety, hit or miss. If you guys really prefer a dormant Yakety Yak or all prog, I'll gladly rein in, or even jump ship. Seems that those who complain the most about my threads are the very same who don't start any threads themselves.

I only read YY and Nxtdoor so if you post on the others I don't read them anyway.

I'd suggest you continue to post new threads about music. Even if one of them is about James Last.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 19 Apr 2021, 20:27

GoogaMooga wrote:BCB is so hostile... I don't know that my threads are any more inane than so many others. At least I post a great variety, hit or miss. If you guys really prefer a dormant Yakety Yak or all prog, I'll gladly rein in, or even jump ship. Seems that those who complain the most about my threads are the very same who don't start any threads themselves.

It really isn't hostile googs. I think some of us would come across better in the flesh so to speak. Let's be honest here, you do post a lot of utter shite.
It will be endearing, accepted or annoying. That is just how it goes. You cannot complain that you receive some flak for this or that variety is the spice of life which is a moot point at best. How much other people post has nothing to do with their right to complain either. You won't jump ship as sure as I would play Steely Dan . You won't rein it in either so don't bother saying it.
Accept criticism and respond without throwing your toys out of the pram and blaming johnny coan for everything when he is rarely here. Just realise that sometimes people will not be on board with you. You should and will post away , good on ya. Remember though that if someone takes the piss or your threads don't get much response it is ok and no ones fault.
Interesting that you didn't address the issue of taking your own advice.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 20:46

jimboo wrote:

It really isn't hostile googs. I think some of us would come across better in the flesh so to speak. Let's be honest here, you do post a lot of utter shite.
It will be endearing, accepted or annoying. That is just how it goes. You cannot complain that you receive some flak for this or that variety is the spice of life which is a moot point at best. How much other people post has nothing to do with their right to complain either. You won't jump ship as sure as I would play Steely Dan . You won't rein it in either so don't bother saying it.
Accept criticism and respond without throwing your toys out of the pram and blaming johnny coan for everything when he is rarely here. Just realise that sometimes people will not be on board with you. You should and will post away , good on ya. Remember though that if someone takes the piss or your threads don't get much response it is ok and no ones fault.
Interesting that you didn't address the issue of taking your own advice.

I have taken my own advice for a long time, probably to my own detriment. I account for 25% of YY, but I am sure people are waiting in the wings to fill the gap. I think I'll just do what you and so many others do, jimboo - lurk and drop a line now and again. What drives people to snipe, I'll never know. Maybe I am just naive.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Apr 2021, 20:55

mudshark wrote:Never liked him. Bright Eyes is a terrible song.

It's a classic!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 Apr 2021, 21:08

GoogaMooga wrote:BCB is so hostile...

With all due respect (being poked with a stick is never fun, regardless of where it happens), where else have you been? This place is nothing.

GoogaMooga wrote:What drives people to snipe, I'll never know. Maybe I am just naive.

You are not naïve. And you know exactly what drives people to snipe. If it wasn't their version of fun, they wouldn't do it.

My advice to you or anyone is the same as it is, was, and always will be. Go outside for air, come back, and you'll hopefully notice how profoundly unimportant it is in the grand scheme of things.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 Apr 2021, 21:12

Also, real life is hostile enough. You can't control others. But you can control your own reaction to it. Pick your battles carefully.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?