Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Desert Island DIsks - Ray K - 22nd January 2012

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Jan 2012, 20:47

Some ace tunes there. Fabulous!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 24 Jan 2012, 02:02

Nicely done Ray K. My dad is also a polka enthusiast and my response was also to turn to metal in my teen years. Great Luna track too!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Jan 2012, 05:29

My father, who had since given up playing prior to my hatching, maintained a love of the distorted loud tune (more so that he tended to play our family stereo at a volume the speakers were incapable of sustaining).

yer dad = yep. groovy. reminds me of my dad. i'm bettin yer dad was more sober, however.

my bestest friend in this universe, not counting reap, has sworn by purple people eaters all our lives together (a co-joint thing that started when i was 13.) mind ya, this is the same friend who, when she first heard van halen's jump, decided to jump... wearin 4-inch stiletto heels, after the consumption of more than a few purple people eaters. cracked her ankle. why is it that people who break bones to music gravitate towards me?

sorry. i digresseth eke. fantastic priest. hoo ya. i have never heard that dogs track, and i luvvvv it.

so anywa...

wait. did you just put up a dash rip rock track???? is that what you just did??????

o. mi. god. you now officially rule more than anybody who has delusions of ruling more than you do.

when i was an undergrad, dash would come play on our measly tier-fucquin-four campus for those sporadic outdoor fete kinda deals. this is circa 85 or 86. i know cuz that friend i mentioned above, the pump-jump chickarina? she was still undergraddin it with me there. i am not sure it is possible to describe the merrydom of those dash shows. the advantage: they were all on grass (the shows, not the band. um, officially.) grass is kinda like a buffer, doncha know. no matter which grass ya pick.

oh yes. thanks. i'm gonna call susan. just so the scars of our broken bones may smile upon yew.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 25 Jan 2012, 20:06

kath wrote:so anywa...

wait. did you just put up a dash rip rock track???? is that what you just did??????

o. mi. god. you now officially rule more than anybody who has delusions of ruling more than you do.

when i was an undergrad, dash would come play on our measly tier-fucquin-four campus for those sporadic outdoor fete kinda deals. this is circa 85 or 86. i know cuz that friend i mentioned above, the pump-jump chickarina? she was still undergraddin it with me there. i am not sure it is possible to describe the merrydom of those dash shows. the advantage: they were all on grass (the shows, not the band. um, officially.) grass is kinda like a buffer, doncha know. no matter which grass ya pick.

oh yes. thanks. i'm gonna call susan. just so the scars of our broken bones may smile upon yew.

Without question there is not another band I've seen live more than Dash Rip Rock. Like I said they seemed to play Philly two or three times a year and I never missed them - also if they played within reasonable driving distance I was there. I first saw them in 87. A friend who was a girl who I wanted a bit more of but had no interest in me wanted to go see them. Thought they were some other band she had seen in New Orleans (Dash and the Dragons or some such). She was disappointed in the show while I thought I stumbled upon the most amazing band I ever saw (I Saw the Light was the closest I have ever come to a religious experience). Anyway the show ended and she went back stage with Hoakey and I shared a bottle of whiskey with Mr. Davis and at least one love was born. Also sang Three Steps with them at one show... twas always a grand time and to this day I've never had as much fun at a show as I did at the average Dash gig.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Jan 2012, 12:36

Enjoyed that a lot Ray, cheers!

My God, I believe i've actually heard that JP album! Seeing that cover brought up a sudden flashback of me and my mate Mark listening to 'Delivering The Goods' over at his place during the summer holidays when i was about 14. Thanks for the trip back down memory lane, man.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 26 Jan 2012, 13:34

Really good read, and even better for the inclusion of The Cramps! :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

der nister

Postby der nister » 26 Jan 2012, 18:34

more, more, more...
mikey at Dobbs
executive slacks, bunnydrums, electric love muffin
cellblock, empire, wet spot, emerald city, kennel club
pats, chinks, looies, philip's
third st jazz, sounds of market, record cellar
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 29 Jan 2012, 16:05

Bump

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jan 2012, 07:50

Enjoyable read, Ray. Your metal phase took me by surprise (you should have taken the Yes, Genesis, Rush option!).

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Feb 2012, 02:21

Well done on the metal phase, you chose well!
It won't be the first time we've engaged in this exercise, but I wonder how many times we were at the same Luna show! Did you see them at the Polytechnic Institute? (or maybe it was a fashion design school)

When I moved to Pennsylvania, I was amazed at the vitality of the polka scene. Is it still going or is it a fading part of a fading world?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Feb 2012, 02:43

Nice stuff, Ray.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Feb 2012, 19:20

Nice one there Ray. The music selections were very eclectic but I'm not surprised.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 11 Feb 2012, 05:10

Fine write-up Ray, enjoyed it. Good calls on the Cramps, PIL and Luna.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

no one

Postby no one » 02 Jun 2012, 16:06

damn... i came in here specifically to see what metal you chose, and now i see you've gone and deleted your essay.... just my luck! :lol:

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”