Reviews, April - July 2019

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
pcqgod

Reviews, April - July 2019

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jul 2019, 03:25

1. Gritty rocker in a Replacements-ish vein, halfway between punk and Americana.
2. Pretty, orchestrated ballad with a female vocalist. Sounds like something from a Broadway show, which I don't mean as a knock on it.
3. Cheerful pop punk number with good (for punk) background vocals, and lyrics about the joys of looting.
4. Catchy pop/rock number featuring a female singer with a good vocal range.
5. Garagey number with spooky female background vocals. I like this one a lot.
6. Frenetic instrumental version of Mozart's "Rondo a la Turca" with an arrangement that seems influenced by Love Sculpture's "Sabre Dance."
7. Hypnotic track with a female vocalist singing in a language I don't immediately recognize. Another favorite from this mix.
8. Old school electric blues number. Great lead guitar, and the "Dust my Broom" riff makes an appearance.
9. French pop/rock song in 6/8 time, with a 50's ballad feel to it.
10. Pop rock song that combines smooth male vocals with a tight rhythmic post-punk kind of groove. I'm very curious about this one.
11. Smooth 60's pop. Sounds like The Zombies.
12. This is the band Jet. I think the name of the song is "Are You Gonna Be My Girl." Fun track, good to hear it again for the first time in years.
13. Interesting track with a female vocalist, pounding drums on the chorus, and melodic and evocative verses. Another favorite from this mix.
14. A musical rant that sounds like John Lennon in a particularly foul mood, and singing in a funny voice to boot!
15. A violin concerto. Nice way to end it.

Thanks for the eclectic mix. Most of this is unknown to me. Also, thanks for the bonus driving songs mix!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Nick Danger

Re: Reviews, April - July 2019

Postby Nick Danger » 02 Jul 2019, 15:41

1. Gritty rocker in a Replacements-ish vein, halfway between punk and Americana.

Montreal band The Nils with Daylight.

2. Pretty, orchestrated ballad with a female vocalist. Sounds like something from a Broadway show, which I don't mean as a knock on it.

This is Dionne Warwick singing the theme from the 1967 movie Valley of the Dolls. This reached number 2 on the U.S. charts.

3. Cheerful pop punk number with good (for punk) background vocals, and lyrics about the joys of looting.

Window Shopping - Moral Crux

4. Catchy pop/rock number featuring a female singer with a good vocal range.

This is an English indie band called Evans the Death from 2015.

5. Garagey number with spooky female background vocals. I like this one a lot.

Born To Wander - Jack Wood; In 1964 Wood paid to record and press 100 copies of this. Over the next few decades the price of each of these 45s reached a collectors price of over $1,000. In 2015 it was licensed for a Bacardi rum commercial where I first heard it.

6. Frenetic instrumental version of Mozart's "Rondo a la Turca" with an arrangement that seems influenced by Love Sculpture's "Sabre Dance."

Mozart Versus The Rest - Episode Six

7. Hypnotic track with a female vocalist singing in a language I don't immediately recognize. Another favorite from this mix.

The Cocteau Twins from a live boot.

8. Old school electric blues number. Great lead guitar, and the "Dust my Broom" riff makes an appearance.

Buddy Guy with She's Out There Somewhere (1979).

9. French pop/rock song in 6/8 time, with a 50's ballad feel to it.

Francoise Hardy from 1962, probably her best known song.

10. Pop rock song that combines smooth male vocals with a tight rhythmic post-punk kind of groove. I'm very curious about this one.

Scottish post punk band Orange Juice with Falling And Laughing (1980).

11. Smooth 60's pop. Sounds like The Zombies.

It is the Zombies. It's their second single and was only released in Australia for some reason where it rocketed to number 81.

12. This is the band Jet. I think the name of the song is "Are You Gonna Be My Girl." Fun track, good to hear it again for the first time in years.

Yep

13. Interesting track with a female vocalist, pounding drums on the chorus, and melodic and evocative verses. Another favorite from this mix.

British singer Carina Round with Girl And The Ghost (2012).

14. A musical rant that sounds like John Lennon in a particularly foul mood, and singing in a funny voice to boot!

A Lennon parody from National Lampoon's first album Radio Dinner (1972). The performer is Tony Hendra.

15. A violin concerto. Nice way to end it.

A Tchaikovsky piece from one of my favorite violinists Sarah Chang when she was only nine years old.

Thanks for the eclectic mix. Most of this is unknown to me. Also, thanks for the bonus driving songs mix!

Glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Daylight - The Nils
2. Theme From The Valley Of The Dolls - Dionne Warwick
3. Window Shopping - Moral Crux
4. Sledgehammer - Evans the Death
5. Born To Wander - Jack Wood
6. Mozart Versus The Rest - Episode Six
7. Crushed - The Cocteau Twins
8. She's Out There Somewhere - Buddy Guy
9. Tous Les Garcons Et Les Filles - Francoise Hardy
10. Falling And Laughing - Orange Juice
11. Leave Me Be - The Zombies
12. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
13. Girl And The Ghost - Carina Round
14. Magical Misery Tour - National Lampoon
15. Melody In E Flat, Op. 42, No. 3 (Tchaikovsky) - Sarah Chang Violinist

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jul 2019, 18:13

A Lennon parody from National Lampoon's first album Radio Dinner (1972). The performer is Tony Hendra.

On the nose parody, no doubt.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Aug 2019, 19:24

Alright here we go!

1. I like this very much - twangy New Ordery sounding thing with female vocals. very good.
2. Another female vocal, a bit more upbeaty and also a cracker
3. Aimee Mann - Fifty Years After the Fair :D
4. A lovely acoustic number, with an absolutely beautiful vocal
5. Well I have no idea at all who this is, but it's great
6. Um, I am familiar with this as I recall hearing it a lot on some radio station a while ago but damn I don't know who it is. It's very nice.
7. Some kind of modern country - I like it a lot surprisingly
8. Well, how odd! Sounds like The Cocteau Twins crossed with country
9. Wow. this is gorgeous, sounds like an Australian Richard Hawley - lovely
10. I have heard Judy Garland sing this - not sure who this is though
11. Ooh this is fabulous too - sounds like it's about to be a cover of Crash by The Primitives ...sounds like Blondie a bit..
12. Nice eighties synths in this one, though don't think it's eighties
13. Another enjoyable upbeat tune - feel like I have heard it before
14. Another very nice mellow tune - lovely guitar, love the whole sound
15. Wow - another gorgeous tune

Hey sender - this disc was fabulous. Can't wait for the reveal!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 08 Aug 2019, 01:14

Received a fun and entertaining mix this time (and who could ask for more) -

1. It's the Big Beat '64 intro fanfare and we're off!
2. 1930's style cornpone track complete with yodeling, musical morning glory indeed.
3. Sounds like a heavier bass and drum takeoff on the tune Do You Love Me with different lyrics and great instrumentation. Interesting.
4. Raucous, nice energy, interesting guitar effects, female group, good party track. I like.
5. Nice R & B tune, really good singer. I like this one a lot, a highlight.
6. It's none other than Petula Clark singing a coke commercial to the tune of Downtown. She sells it well and I kinda want a coke now.
7. Change of pace, punk/metal complete with growly vocals, indecipherable time signature. I'm not much of a metal fan but it's short.
8. Retro girl group, close harmony, reminiscent of the Boswell Sisters who (whom?) I'm a fan of. Another highlight.
9. Retro? rock and roll, love the sax solo, good stuff!
10. Blue glass/ bluegrass joke told in Beatlesque Yellow Submarine voices. I'm not sure what I think of this.
11. Tune is familiar, retro 20's, racing tempo. This guys can play fast. I'm impressed.
12. I know this one - Boyce and Hart with I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight. Fun to hear again.
13. Anti Rock 'n Roll rant. "It's not just the lyrics, it's the beat." I'm old enough to remember hearing similar diatribes back when.
14. Screaming girls, retro beat, sounds like a drive-in monster movie soundtrack. My wife asked me what I was listening to from the next room.
15. Sounds familiar, I can't place it. I like this a lot, British Invasion maybe. Part of it sound like a song I know called Girls Talk. I like this.
16. Another one I know - The Moody Blues with Story In Your Eyes. Nice to hear it again. It sounds different in this context outside of their album.
17. I think I know this but maybe not by this artist. Female vocal sounds familiar. Countryish treatment, complete with steel guitar solo. Good finish to a good mix.

Thanks mixer, good job. Looking forward to the reveal.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Aug 2019, 04:52

1. It's the Big Beat '64 intro fanfare and we're off!

2. 1930's style cornpone track complete with yodeling, musical morning glory indeed.
The Carter Sisters (including June Carter) backed by Chet Atkins from a radio broadcast dating from the late 40’s.

3. Sounds like a heavier bass and drum takeoff on the tune Do You Love Me with different lyrics and great instrumentation. Interesting.
The Road (a/k/a The Hard Road) with a track featured on the second Pebbles compilation.

4. Raucous, nice energy, interesting guitar effects, female group, good party track. I like.
Session guitarist Al Casey cashing in on the surf craze in 1963.

5. Nice R & B tune, really good singer. I like this one a lot, a highlight.
Honey, Ltd., a girl group which released one album in ’68 produce by Lee Hazlewood.

6. It's none other than Petula Clark singing a coke commercial to the tune of Downtown. She sells it well and I kinda want a coke now.

7. Change of pace, punk/metal complete with growly vocals, indecipherable time signature. I'm not much of a metal fan but it's short.
The Lemonheads with their twisted take on thrash from their first album in 1987.

8. Retro girl group, close harmony, reminiscent of the Boswell Sisters who (whom?) I'm a fan of. Another highlight.
The Puppini Sisters from their 2006 debut album ‘Betcha Bottom Dollar,’ covering Kate Bush’s “Wuthering Heights.”

9. Retro? rock and roll, love the sax solo, good stuff!
This is The Excitements, a retro r&b group from Spain, from their 2016 album ‘Breaking the Rule.’

10. Blue glass/ bluegrass joke told in Beatlesque Yellow Submarine voices. I'm not sure what I think of this.
It is indeed dialogue from ‘Yellow Submarine.’

11. Tune is familiar, retro 20's, racing tempo. This guys can play fast. I'm impressed.
Roy Clark from his debut album ‘The Lightning Fingers of Roy Clark’ (1963).

12. I know this one - Boyce and Hart with I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight. Fun to hear again.
Yep, great song.

13. Anti Rock 'n Roll rant. "It's not just the lyrics, it's the beat." I'm old enough to remember hearing similar diatribes back when.
Televangelist Jack Van Impe. This soundbite is featured on the compilation ‘Michigan Brand Nuggets.’

14. Screaming girls, retro beat, sounds like a drive-in monster movie soundtrack. My wife asked me what I was listening to from the next room.
Insane single by a Massachusetts group called The Plagues who released one single in 1966 and then disappeared from the face of the Earth.

15. Sounds familiar, I can't place it. I like this a lot, British Invasion maybe. Part of it sound like a song I know called Girls Talk. I like this.
Redd Kross from their ‘Show World’ album, 1997.

16. Another one I know - The Moody Blues with Story In Your Eyes. Nice to hear it again. It sounds different in this context outside of their album.
Yes, an earlier take.

17. I think I know this but maybe not by this artist. Female vocal sounds familiar. Countryish treatment, complete with steel guitar solo. Good finish to a good mix.
Exene Cervenka of the band X, from her first solo album ‘Old Wives’ Tales’ (1989)

1. Big Beat 64/NME Poll Winners Concert theme
2. Carter Sisters – Intro/Beautiful Morning Glory
3. The Road – You Rub Me the Wrong Way
4. Al Casey – Surfin’ Hootenanny
5. Honey, Ltd. – I’ve Got Your Man
6. Petula Clark – Coke
7. Lemonheads - Sneakyville
8. Puppini Sisters – Wuthering Heights
9. The Excitements – Everything is Better Since You’ve Gone
10. Blue Glass
11. Roy Clark – Twelfth Street Rag
12. Boyce & Hart – I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight
13. Jack Van Impe
14. The Plagues – Cherrie Pie
15. Redd Kross – Ugly Town
16. Moody Blues – The Story in Your Eyes
17. Exene Cervenka – Coyote on the Town

Thanks mixer, good job. Looking forward to the reveal.
Glad you dug it

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 10 Aug 2019, 10:25

Review first . Reveal to follow.

Disc from Minxy. Bit of a curate's egg, but thanks for taking the trouble Anna, I know you had holiday preparations etc ,but thanks for staying in for the month, given the dwindling numbers and getting a disc out.

1) This is some strange amalgam of modern classical, jazz, ambient and film score. The theme of sorts that appears sounds familiar and oriental in tone. Not Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is it ? Quite restful and engaging up to a point, but I’ll admit that half way through I was thinking - OK what’s next.
2) Like most I first heard this in French via Fairport. Strangely I have little recollection of the Manfred Mann version despite being a big hit and remembering just about everything else they did. God knows who’s singing here. A voice, past its prime shall we say, but that’s OK, I do believe age gives a voice resonance. Kind of vampish in places and sounding like Mae West. A curiosity but then I like curiosities.
3) Quite like this. Laid back reggae. Reminds me of Janet Kay’s Silly Games
4) This is the star turn here. Great Latin funk. Actually just plain funk, but I;m guessing there’s some Latin association from the interjections of “Hey mamacita” and “Hot Tamales”.
5) Initially there was something mannered and effete in the voice that put me off but liked this more on repeated listens. Like the overall sound and production. A grower.
6 and 7) I’ve lumped these together as I really have nothing different to say about either as neither really my thing. All too “chill” and noodly . The first I actively disliked. Anything like this wiht a sax is just one step away from Kenny G. The second had its moments, but again lacked anything at its core I could get behind.

So, not all to my taste but stuff to enjoy still and as I said above It is appreciated. Thanks Anna
We're way past rhubarb

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 10 Aug 2019, 17:55

Minnie the Minx wrote:Alright here we go!

1. I like this very much - twangy New Ordery sounding thing with female vocals. very good.

Swallow. Possibly the obscurest 4AD band who only ever made one album

o
Lydia Loveless. I usually hate lazy journalistic comparisopns but saw here referred to once as like Neko Case's bratty younger sister which I can srt of see.

Yep

One of a number of solo artists with a "band" name. This is The Weather Station

Some proper Calypso. The Mighty Sparrow

6. Um, I am familiar with this as I recall hearing it a lot on some radio station a while ago but damn I don't know who it is. It's very nice.

I love this woman's voice - Melody Gardot. Her other straight jazz vocal albumsare worth checking out but this one is more Brazilian/Tropicalia in feel

Anna Burch

Also sound a LOT like The Sundays. I've grown to love this band The Innocence Mission

Kiwi actually but I'll give you the antopdean spot - Marlon WIlliams

...and no doubt heard Rufus sing Judy sing this. One of the great voices - Brenda Lee

11. Ooh this is fabulous too - sounds like it's about to be a cover of Crash by The Primitives ...sounds like Blondie a bit.

I nearly put a Primotives track on here. I love all that stuff with female vocals on the twee/dream pop arc. This one is The Popguns.

Later indeed 2011 - AMerican/Japanese shoegaze from Asobi Seksu

You may know the voice . This is Lifter Puller. Craig Finn's band before The Hold Steady

I would say this is my favourite album of the year so far. This time a male singer hiding behind a "band" name - The Tallest Man on Earth from Sweden All his albums are great albeit in thrall to (very) early Dylan. He finds his own voice a bit more on this one

As it happens we are still in Sweden. Thomas Feiner made a couple of standard albums with band Anywhen but then the album THe OPiates really changed the game. Wonderful drenched vocals like this. This track is actually a stray credited to THomas Feiner and Fyfe Dangerfield available as download only

Usually when I snd you a mix I try and guess which track is going to get the full Minxy hyperbolic THis is the worst thing I have heard ever. :lol:
You have to admit there's been one or two (It's OK I can take it sob sob)
so relieved to see that this one largely hit the mark.

1. Swallow - Sugar Your Mind
2. Lydia Loveless - Can't Change Me
3. AImee Mann - 50 Years AFter The Fair
4. The Weather Station - Traveller
5 The Mighty Sparrow - Jan And Dinah
6. Melody Gardot - AMalia
7, Anna Burch - Belle Isle
8, The Innocence Mission - Sorry ANd Glad Together
9, Marlon WIlliams - Beautiful Dress
10, Brenda Lee - Rock-A-Bye Your Baby WIth A Dixie Melody
11. The Popguns - Fire Away
12. Asobi Seksu - Sghs
13. Lifter Puller - Candy's Room
14. The Tallest Man on Earth - I'll Be A Sky
15. Thomas Feiner & Fyfe Dangerfield - The Gospels

YOu're welcome. Really loking forward to catching up with you in New York
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Aug 2019, 17:31

Hey! Sorry only just saw that you’d listened to it. Will get on the PC tomorrow with the reveal etc.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Aug 2019, 00:13

The Fish wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Alright here we go!

Swallow. Possibly the obscurest 4AD band who only ever made one album

o
Lydia Loveless. I usually hate lazy journalistic comparisopns but saw here referred to once as like Neko Case's bratty younger sister which I can srt of see.

Yep

One of a number of solo artists with a "band" name. This is The Weather Station

Some proper Calypso. The Mighty Sparrow

I love this woman's voice - Melody Gardot. Her other straight jazz vocal albumsare worth checking out but this one is more Brazilian/Tropicalia in feel

Anna Burch

Also sound a LOT like The Sundays. I've grown to love this band The Innocence Mission

Kiwi actually but I'll give you the antopdean spot - Marlon WIlliams

...and no doubt heard Rufus sing Judy sing this. One of the great voices - Brenda Lee

11. Ooh this is fabulous too - sounds like it's about to be a cover of Crash by The Primitives ...sounds like Blondie a bit.

I nearly put a Primotives track on here. I love all that stuff with female vocals on the twee/dream pop arc. This one is The Popguns.

Later indeed 2011 - AMerican/Japanese shoegaze from Asobi Seksu

You may know the voice . This is Lifter Puller. Craig Finn's band before The Hold Steady

I would say this is my favourite album of the year so far. This time a male singer hiding behind a "band" name - The Tallest Man on Earth from Sweden All his albums are great albeit in thrall to (very) early Dylan. He finds his own voice a bit more on this one

As it happens we are still in Sweden. Thomas Feiner made a couple of standard albums with band Anywhen but then the album THe OPiates really changed the game. Wonderful drenched vocals like this. This track is actually a stray credited to THomas Feiner and Fyfe Dangerfield available as download only

Usually when I snd you a mix I try and guess which track is going to get the full Minxy hyperbolic THis is the worst thing I have heard ever. :lol:
You have to admit there's been one or two (It's OK I can take it sob sob)
so relieved to see that this one largely hit the mark.

1. Swallow - Sugar Your Mind
2. Lydia Loveless - Can't Change Me
3. AImee Mann - 50 Years AFter The Fair
4. The Weather Station - Traveller
5 The Mighty Sparrow - Jan And Dinah
6. Melody Gardot - AMalia
7, Anna Burch - Belle Isle
8, The Innocence Mission - Sorry ANd Glad Together
9, Marlon WIlliams - Beautiful Dress
10, Brenda Lee - Rock-A-Bye Your Baby WIth A Dixie Melody
11. The Popguns - Fire Away
12. Asobi Seksu - Sghs
13. Lifter Puller - Candy's Room
14. The Tallest Man on Earth - I'll Be A Sky
15. Thomas Feiner & Fyfe Dangerfield - The Gospels

YOu're welcome. Really loking forward to catching up with you in New York

yes me too (re: NY!)
I really genuinely enjoyed your disc. I'm excited to check some of it out!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Aug 2019, 00:21

1) This is some strange amalgam of modern classical, jazz, ambient and film score. The theme of sorts that appears sounds familiar and oriental in tone. Not Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is it ? Quite restful and engaging up to a point, but I’ll admit that half way through I was thinking - OK what’s next.

:D Oh dear! Poor Alice! This was Alice Coltrane and "Galaxy in Turiya" - an acquired taste I suppose!

2) Like most I first heard this in French via Fairport. Strangely I have little recollection of the Manfred Mann version despite being a big hit and remembering just about everything else they did. God knows who’s singing here. A voice, past its prime shall we say, but that’s OK, I do believe age gives a voice resonance. Kind of vampish in places and sounding like Mae West. A curiosity but then I like curiosities

Correct! Mae West and If You Gotta Go, Go Now!

3) Quite like this. Laid back reggae. Reminds me of Janet Kay’s Silly Games

Marie Pierre and "Nothing Gained From Loving You"

4) This is the star turn here. Great Latin funk. Actually just plain funk, but I;m guessing there’s some Latin association from the interjections of “Hey mamacita” and “Hot Tamales”.

Yes! Hot Tamales by Prime Mates!

5) Initially there was something mannered and effete in the voice that put me off but liked this more on repeated listens. Like the overall sound and production. A grower.

Well, the cheek! And so it should grow on you, as its "I'm Only You" by the greatest living Englishman, Robyn Hitchcock!

6 and 7) I’ve lumped these together as I really have nothing different to say about either as neither really my thing. All too “chill” and noodly . The first I actively disliked. Anything like this wiht a sax is just one step away from Kenny G. The second had its moments, but again lacked anything at its core I could get behind.

Oh dear!
Number 6 was "She's So" by Royksopp, and number 7 was 18 by Moby, which was a bit of a risk I know.

Ah well, could have been worse!

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”