May 2018 review thread

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
pcqgod

May 2018 review thread

Postby pcqgod » 12 May 2018, 22:18

Okay, I received a ten track mix of bop/jazz that all sounds like it was recorded between roughly 1956 and 1963. Most range from mid-tempo to slow, and feature a main theme played in unison by trumpet and sax followed by trading solos between the instruments. I believe every single track features the standard formation of sax/horn/acoustic bass/drums and piano, so that makes identification of specific artists extremely difficult barring some immediately recognizable riffs, melodies, or drum parts, though no doubt artists such as Dexter Gordon, Donald Byrd, Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Rollins, Davis, Monk, etc. feature on various tracks.

1. First track is an upbeat rock/go-go beat thing that reminds me a bit of the "proto-fusion" stuff Herbie Hancock was doing around the time of "Blow Up."
2. Second track sounds very familiar. It includes a "Carmen" quote played on trumpet and reiterated on piano. If I had to guess I'd say this was the late 50's formation of the Miles Davis Quintet.
3. Mid-tempo track. I like the drum playing and sound on this one.
4. Slow blues beat number with a somewhat rigid trumpet riff.
5. This one features a playful alto sax riff and could almost be a Henry Mancini theme.
6. This track I recognize as something from Art Blakey, although I can't tell you the track name.
7. This one features a bass sound in a high register and some terrific trumpet soloing.
8. Probably the most upbeat number on here, featuring a very catchy main riff reminiscent of "Topsy." More excellent trumpet soloing.
9. Another slow bluesy number.
10. This one features a lot of heavy-handed tom fills, which I would guess is Blakey again, although it could be someone like Philly Joe Jones or Max Roach. Melody seems to quote "Mack the Knife."

Overall enjoyable mix, although lacking in the breakneck tempo stuff that draws me most to the bop genre.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: May 2018 review thread

Postby fange » 13 May 2018, 09:12

pcqgod wrote:Okay, I received a ten track mix of bop/jazz that all sounds like it was recorded between roughly 1956 and 1963. Most range from mid-tempo to slow, and feature a main theme played in unison by trumpet and sax followed by trading solos between the instruments. I believe every single track features the standard formation of sax/horn/acoustic bass/drums and piano, so that makes identification of specific artists extremely difficult barring some immediately recognizable riffs, melodies, or drum parts, though no doubt artists such as Dexter Gordon, Donald Byrd, Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Rollins, Davis, Monk, etc. feature on various tracks.

1. First track is an upbeat rock/go-go beat thing that reminds me a bit of the "proto-fusion" stuff Herbie Hancock was doing around the time of "Blow Up."
2. Second track sounds very familiar. It includes a "Carmen" quote played on trumpet and reiterated on piano. If I had to guess I'd say this was the late 50's formation of the Miles Davis Quintet.
5. This one features a playful alto sax riff and could almost be a Henry Mancini theme.
6. This track I recognize as something from Art Blakey, although I can't tell you the track name.
7. This one features a bass sound in a high register and some terrific trumpet soloing.
8. Probably the most upbeat number on here, featuring a very catchy main riff reminiscent of "Topsy." More excellent trumpet soloing.
10. This one features a lot of heavy-handed tom fills, which I would guess is Blakey again, although it could be someone like Philly Joe Jones or Max Roach. Melody seems to quote "Mack the Knife."

Overall enjoyable mix, although lacking in the breakneck tempo stuff that draws me most to the bop genre.

Ah, ok - i knew you liked hard bop, but it probably would have been even better to know that last point. :)

Still, i hope you will spin some of those tunes again, or even look further into any that particularly grabbed your fancy. The album which #3 comes from, Freddie Huubard's Goin' Up, might be right up your alley as it's a great group including Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.

Bopping Blue
1) Blue Mitchell - Rigor Mortez
2) Sonny Clark - Somethin' Special
3) Freddie Hubbard - The Changing Scene
4) Leo Parker - Bad Girl
5) Wayne Shorter - Tom Thumb
6) Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Lester Left Town
7) Dexter Gordon - Devilette
8) Duke Pearson - Big Bertha
9) Jackie McLean - Yams
10) Donald Byrd - Fuego
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 May 2018, 00:07

fange wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Okay, I received a ten track mix of bop/jazz that all sounds like it was recorded between roughly 1956 and 1963. Most range from mid-tempo to slow, and feature a main theme played in unison by trumpet and sax followed by trading solos between the instruments. I believe every single track features the standard formation of sax/horn/acoustic bass/drums and piano, so that makes identification of specific artists extremely difficult barring some immediately recognizable riffs, melodies, or drum parts, though no doubt artists such as Dexter Gordon, Donald Byrd, Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Rollins, Davis, Monk, etc. feature on various tracks.

Ah, ok - i knew you liked hard bop, but it probably would have been even better to know that last point. :)

Still, i hope you will spin some of those tunes again, or even look further into any that particularly grabbed your fancy. The album which #3 comes from, Freddie Huubard's Goin' Up, might be right up your alley as it's a great group including Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.

Bopping Blue
1) Blue Mitchell - Rigor Mortez
2) Sonny Clark - Somethin' Special
3) Freddie Hubbard - The Changing Scene
4) Leo Parker - Bad Girl
5) Wayne Shorter - Tom Thumb
6) Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Lester Left Town
7) Dexter Gordon - Devilette
8) Duke Pearson - Big Bertha
9) Jackie McLean - Yams
10) Donald Byrd - Fuego

Not to worry, fange, I enjoyed most of it just fine. Probably want to seek out more Jackie McLean and Donald Byrd before long.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 May 2018, 01:51

Goodness, sorry this has taken so long. We have been in the long process of house buying.

Thank you for my THREE DISCS sender! 2 Bowie - looking forward to listening -

but first, the mix disc!

1. Some modern punky song about going window shopping with a brick. Sweet!
2. Some utterly appalling dance track about surrendering - I surrendered after 30 seconds. Ghastly
3. Some great, possibly 70s/80s euro electro pop. Love it
4. Um - sounds like a Japanese orchestra got into some godawful soul ballad karaoke booth - terrible. Terrible.
5. Love this! And - have heard it a ton of times, and I have never thought " I must find out who this is' - so hopefully soon I will know!
6. Cocteau Twinsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (that's a big thumbs up of course)
7. Hmm, modernish I think electro pop- lovely vocal - has a lovely feel.Yes. thumbs up!
8. A vaguely Beach Boy sounding number about wasting a Summer day, very pleasing!
9. Aaah, absolutely lovely! Some gorgeous vocal about losing in life - absolutely lovely.
10. Davy Baby! Although - this version doesn't actually sound like Davy Baby?
11. Life's a Gas covered by Bang Bang? John Peel says? Not much guesswork needed :lol:
12. A nice enough voice doesn't quite spark a big interest in this predictable sort of thing
13. Something about nothing being able to change the shape of things to come. Good, old stuff! But WHO?
14. Cute (Japanese?) power pop - sweet!
15. Sounds like a late punky combo - nice - no telling who it is though~

Thanks so much for this disc, sender! Very much appreciated an most of it a hit - I did get a bit worried at the start there! I'm also looking forward to the Bowie and I'll be on the case and making your disc this week!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 18 May 2018, 21:47

Goodness, sorry this has taken so long. We have been in the long process of house buying.

but first, the mix disc!

Washington state 80's punk band Moral Crux.

2. Some utterly appalling dance track about surrendering - I surrendered after 30 seconds. Ghastly

This is a British electronica duo called Delta Heavy.

French psych/punk band La Femme from 2013.

4. Um - sounds like a Japanese orchestra got into some godawful soul ballad karaoke booth - terrible. Terrible.

Sukiyaki, a late seventies hit for A Taste Of Honey.

5. Love this! And - have heard it a ton of times, and I have never thought " I must find out who this is' - so hopefully soon I will know!

Australian band called Jet from their first album Get Born in 2003.

6. Cocteau Twinsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (that's a big thumbs up of course)

Serpentskirt from a 1995 Paris boot.

7. Hmm, modernish I think electro pop- lovely vocal - has a lovely feel.Yes. thumbs up!

Canadian indie band Alvvays from 2014.

8. A vaguely Beach Boy sounding number about wasting a Summer day, very pleasing!

Two hit wonder Cyrkle with one of the hits from 1966.

9. Aaah, absolutely lovely! Some gorgeous vocal about losing in life - absolutely lovely.

This is Boyish by Japanese Breakfast.

It is Bowie with his last band The Lower Third before the name change.

11. Life's a Gas covered by Bang Bang? John Peel says? Not much guesswork needed :lol:

Yep

12. A nice enough voice doesn't quite spark a big interest in this predictable sort of thing

Girl And The Ghost - Carina Round

13. Something about nothing being able to change the shape of things to come. Good, old stuff! But WHO?

This was a minor hit from the soundtrack of the movie Wild In The Streets in 1968. It's credited to the ficticious band in the movie, Max Frost and the Troopers which is really a pick up band/session players.

Japanese duo. English translation is Daydream by Judy and Mary.

Three sisters from Albuquerque, New Mexico and their pop/punk band The Eyeliners.

Glad you liked most of it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Window Shopping - Moral Crux
2. White Flag - Delta Heavy
3. Si Un Jour - La Femme
4. Sukiyaki - A Taste Of Honey
5. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
6. Serpentskirt - The Cocteau Twins
7. Red Planet - Alvvays
8. Turn Down Day - The Cyrkle
9. Boyish - Japanese Breakfast
10. You've Got A Habit - David Jones and the Lower Third
11. Life's A Gas - Bang Bang Machine
12. Girl And The Ghost - Carina Round
13. Shape Of Things - Max Frost and the Troopers
14. Daydream - Judy and Mary
15. Sealed With A Kiss - The Eyeliners

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 20 May 2018, 19:56

Great collection of garagey power pop which I was mostly unfamiliar with
A hugely enjoyable listen with lots of science fiction robot monster fun to be had for all!

1. Robot Monsters dialogue ! eek! nice intro
2. Nice slice of power pop about Monsters - catchy
3. A nice piece of sixties garage pop
4. Pretty Things - Rip Off Train - lovely of course
5. Nice upbeat bubblegum pop song, and being a huge fan of the 1910 Fruitgum Company thats fine by me
6. Susanna Hoff , everyones favorite Bangle - a nice piece of pop that gets better the more you listen to it - very nice strings and great vocal of course.
7. Nice piece of sixties psych pop complete with nice faux sitar solo and a great chorus.
8 Psychedelic Soul ala Ball of Confusion , a slight indian vibe on this, very nice guitar and strings, kinda jazzy - have no idea who it is
9. A bit of power pop with a tinge of the Jam about them , not bad without being great
10. Eighties pop that sounds a bit life Jefferson Airplane, the lyrics are rather dull and let it down
11. more Syfy voiceover blood beast from outer space !
12. Syfy Sha Na Na - the Martian Hop ? suitably bizarre
13. Another power pop track - enjoyable but a bit non descript.
14. Roadrunner - not sure who’s doing it , its not Bo Diddley, but still great
15. This sounds familiar, very nice folky guitar ballad, very sandy denny/ fairport, not sure who it is but it rings a bell
16. I really like this a lot, a little bit Peter Perrett and a little bit Go Betweens, don’t know who it is tho, kinda Paisley Undergroundish. Interested to know who this is.
17. Great surf instrumental - wonderful, you gotta love a good tremolo
18. Nice ending from the Shangri La’s - and great advice on dating courtesy!

Greatly enjoyable disc, a fine job and many thanks to the mixer.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 May 2018, 00:22

Nick Danger wrote:Goodness, sorry this has taken so long. We have been in the long process of house buying.

but first, the mix disc!

Washington state 80's punk band Moral Crux.

This is a British electronica duo called Delta Heavy.

French psych/punk band La Femme from 2013.

Sukiyaki, a late seventies hit for A Taste Of Honey.

Australian band called Jet from their first album Get Born in 2003.

Serpentskirt from a 1995 Paris boot.

Canadian indie band Alvvays from 2014.

Two hit wonder Cyrkle with one of the hits from 1966.

This is Boyish by Japanese Breakfast.

It is Bowie with his last band The Lower Third before the name change.

Yep

Girl And The Ghost - Carina Round

This was a minor hit from the soundtrack of the movie Wild In The Streets in 1968. It's credited to the ficticious band in the movie, Max Frost and the Troopers which is really a pick up band/session players.

Japanese duo. English translation is Daydream by Judy and Mary.

Three sisters from Albuquerque, New Mexico and their pop/punk band The Eyeliners.

Glad you liked most of it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Window Shopping - Moral Crux
2. White Flag - Delta Heavy
3. Si Un Jour - La Femme
4. Sukiyaki - A Taste Of Honey
5. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
6. Serpentskirt - The Cocteau Twins
7. Red Planet - Alvvays
8. Turn Down Day - The Cyrkle
9. Boyish - Japanese Breakfast
10. You've Got A Habit - David Jones and the Lower Third
11. Life's A Gas - Bang Bang Machine
12. Girl And The Ghost - Carina Round
13. Shape Of Things - Max Frost and the Troopers
14. Daydream - Judy and Mary
15. Sealed With A Kiss - The Eyeliners

Thanks so much Nick - I’m looking forward to looking into some of these in more detail .i really appreciate the Bowie too, I haven’t listened yet but will be taking them to work with me tomorrow and checking them out. Thanks so much!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 May 2018, 12:13

A fun mix, cheers sender!

1. A great opener, really enjoyed the large brass band feel of this one, jazzy and funky and right up my alley!

2. A more contemporary sounding bluesy country tune, enjoyable if not really my thing.

3. If that isn't John Fogerty's voice i'll eat my laptop. I haven't really investigated his post-CCR stuff, sadly, and I obviously really should. Good version of a classic.

4. A soulful contemporary singer and band from the sounds of this one, and enjoyed it. His voice really carries the tune.

5. The wonderful Dillards, very nice to hear them again, been too long. Have had a fair bit of Copperfields and Wheatstraw on the Spotify this week thanks to you, cheers mixer.

6. This one's grown on me, a nice mix of tired and uplifted acoustic blues with a touch of country fiddle. Look forward to the reveal.

7. An uptempo country-ish rocker that is ok musically, though the singer's voice is a little annoying.

8. A downtempo country-ish rock ballad, with more than a touch of 'Caroline, No' to it. Like it.

9. Mmm, this is the stuff. A hard driving funky blues with lots of breaks and hot guitar. Very nice.

10. Good little mod jazz instrumental burner, very nice. Perfect for the hot May weather here in HK.

11. The Spongetones with 'She Goes Out With Everybody'; again, a band I hadn't heard for a while, and you had me digging into their catalogue again, cheers mate.

12. Some ole timey acoustic country blues here, and been digging it. A nice relaxing little ditty.

13. That voice sounds so familiar, but just can't place it right now. Nice acoustic ballad, veeery slow, but enjoyable.

14. Another good acoustic ballad, and the singer has a strong voice.

15. A slow bluesy burner, with a strong female singer I feel I should know. Big sax solo too, good stuff.

16. This is like clear, cool water to me - a gorgeous little doo wop/R&B ballad with great singing. Love.

17. And a fine funky blues to wrap it up, very nice. The singer sounds a lot like Bobby Rush of 'Chicken Heads' (semi-)fame, especially in the spoken word section. I had 'CHs' on a mix to Whodathunkit a few years back; hope he's ok.

Cheers mixer, a really interesting mix with a lot I enjoyed!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 May 2018, 16:19

1. Robot Monsters dialogue ! eek! nice intro
2. Nice slice of power pop about Monsters - catchy

A-side of the new single by the Australian power pop band DM3.

3. A nice piece of sixties garage pop

Paul and Barry Ryan's version of a song originally recorded by Leslie West's The Vagrants.

4. Pretty Things - Rip Off Train - lovely of course

Yep.

5. Nice upbeat bubblegum pop song, and being a huge fan of the 1910 Fruitgum Company thats fine by me

Another Australian band, Zoot, from which Rick Springfield launched his career. Originally a 1969 single.

6. Susanna Hoff , everyones favorite Bangle - a nice piece of pop that gets better the more you listen to it - very nice strings and great vocal of course.

Yes, from her excellent 2012 album 'Someday.'

7. Nice piece of sixties psych pop complete with nice faux sitar solo and a great chorus.

The Seeders, aka The Cedars, a Lebanese group. Pretty sure this track featured on the Nuggets II box set.

8 Psychedelic Soul ala Ball of Confusion , a slight indian vibe on this, very nice guitar and strings, kinda jazzy - have no idea who it is

This is a 70's era group called Preacher and the Saints, featured on the compilation 'Good God: A Gospel Funk Hymnal' (Numero, 2006).

9. A bit of power pop with a tinge of the Jam about them , not bad without being great

This one is by the mod revival group Merton Parkas, originally a single from 1980.

10. Eighties pop that sounds a bit life Jefferson Airplane, the lyrics are rather dull and let it down

This is by Hot Knives, a power pop/folk rock combo that featured a couple of members of The Flamin' Groovies.

11. more Syfy voiceover blood beast from outer space !

12. Syfy Sha Na Na - the Martian Hop ? suitably bizarre

A novelty 1963 single by the Ran-Dells.

13. Another power pop track - enjoyable but a bit non descript.

This is the B-side to the same DM3 single.

14. Roadrunner - not sure who’s doing it , its not Bo Diddley, but still great

The Zombies! from their 'Live at the BBC' disc.

15. This sounds familiar, very nice folky guitar ballad, very sandy denny/ fairport, not sure who it is but it rings a bell

This is the first single by the original lineup of Renaissance, when Jim McCarty, Keith Relf and his sister Jane were in the group. 1970.

16. I really like this a lot, a little bit Peter Perrett and a little bit Go Betweens, don’t know who it is tho, kinda Paisley Undergroundish. Interested to know who this is.

Texas group The Wild Seeds, from their 1988 'Mud, Lies & Shame' album that almost brought them the widespread notice they deserved.

17. Great surf instrumental - wonderful, you gotta love a good tremolo

The Challengers, from their classic 'Surfbeat' album from '63.

18. Nice ending from the Shangri La’s - and great advice on dating courtesy!

This comes from the compilation 'Myrmidons of Melodrama.' Cool, huh?

1. Robot Monster trailer
2. DM3 - Monsters
3. Paul & Barry Ryan - I Can't Make a Friend
4. Pretty Things - Rip Off Train
5. Zoot - About Time
6. Susanna Hoffs - November Sun
7. Seeders - Hide if You Want to Hide
8. Preacher and the Saints - Jesus Rhapsody, pt. 1
9. Merton Parkas - Put Me in the Picture
10. Hot Knives - Sooner of Later
11. Blood Beast trailer
12. Ran-Dells - Martian Hop
13. DM3 - Before You Go
14. The Zombies - Roadrunner
15. Renaissance - Island
16. Wild Seeds - Like a Fall
17. The Challengers - Latinia
18. The Shangri-Las on dating commercial spot

Glad you dug it!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 24 May 2018, 13:42

Cheers ! Will definitely check out the Wild Seeds and I need to investigate that early Renaissance line up.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 25 May 2018, 14:40

I received a fun and entertaining mix this cycle, thanks go to my mixer.

1. We start off with a true classic, Curtis Mayfield and Move On Up. I think this is from his debut solo album which I need to revisit.
2. I don't recognize this even though the voice sounds familiar. It's a full rousing arrangement with layers of horns and drums. The players sell the song with their conviction and execution.
3. Another one I haven't heard in a very long time, Van with Bright Side Of The Road. A good one, I like.
4. This one is ok, kind of a wall of sound approach, no idea who it is. Not bad.
5. I haven't heard this in years either, the Moody Blues' Story In Your Eyes. Even though I know some of the tracks the context of their place in the mix make for a new listening experience. It's nice to be reminded of music I need to revisit.
6. A true stone cold classic, Good Times by Chic. What a bass line. One of my favorites.
7. I haven't listened to much Thin Lizzy in quite a long time. This song always struck me as a little different and stands out in their catalog. I like this a lot. Another great bass line and lead guitar.
8. A full band, robust arrangement, I think I've heard it before but . . . is this Springsteen? In any case I like it, the horns and keyboards are doing the heavy lifting here.
9. I have heard this and probably own it but I can't come up with who it is. Tight band, good performance.
10. Another classic, Lennon's Whatever Gets You Through The Night. Love the great horns.
11. This mix has a nice flow to it, another favorite this time from Joe Cocker. One of his best tracks. Love it.
12. I like this, no idea who it is but I would check out some more from this band.
13. This one is ok, sounds vintage, I would guess 70's. Not bad but the rest of the mix overshadows it.
14. One of my favorite songs and bands, Sly and I Want To Take You Higher. Love this, another classic, what a great and influential band.
15. This sounds like vintage 70's also. I think I've heard it but I'm not coming up with who it is. A full wall of sound arrangement, the enthusiasm and conviction sell it. Good finish.

Thanks so much mixer. Good job and even though I knew some of the tracks I was still thoroughly entertained.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 May 2018, 14:10

The idea of this mix was instead of putting together a mix of more obscure things you may not have heard , was to put together a collection of upbeat and uplifting "feel good" tracks together.

Nick Danger wrote:1. We start off with a true classic, Curtis Mayfield and Move On Up. I think this is from his debut solo album which I need to revisit.
Correct
2. I don't recognize this even though the voice sounds familiar. It's a full rousing arrangement with layers of horns and drums. The players sell the song with their conviction and execution.
The Waterboys and Church Not Made With Hands from their A Pagan Place album
3. Another one I haven't heard in a very long time, Van with Bright Side Of The Road. A good one, I like.
Correct
4. This one is ok, kind of a wall of sound approach, no idea who it is. Not bad.
One of my favorite songs of all time , Metal Guru by Marc Bolan and T Rex from the first album I ever bought, the Slider.
5. I haven't heard this in years either, the Moody Blues' Story In Your Eyes. Even though I know some of the tracks the context of their place in the mix make for a new listening experience. It's nice to be reminded of music I need to revisit.\
Correct
6. A true stone cold classic, Good Times by Chic. What a bass line. One of my favorites.
Correct again
7. I haven't listened to much Thin Lizzy in quite a long time. This song always struck me as a little different and stands out in their catalog. I like this a lot. Another great bass line and lead guitar.
Correct - Thin Lizzy and Dancing in the Moonlight
8. A full band, robust arrangement, I think I've heard it before but . . . is this Springsteen? In any case I like it, the horns and keyboards are doing the heavy lifting here.
It is indeed Springsteen and Rosalita from his best album , the Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
9. I have heard this and probably own it but I can't come up with who it is. Tight band, good performance.
"The Quo" and Roll Over Lay Down
10. Another classic, Lennon's Whatever Gets You Through The Night. Love the great horns.
Correct
11. This mix has a nice flow to it, another favorite this time from Joe Cocker. One of his best tracks. Love it.
Correct, Joe Cocker and Feeling Alright live from Woodstock
12. I like this, no idea who it is but I would check out some more from this band.
Brimful of Asha from Cornershop - a band well worth investigating
13. This one is ok, sounds vintage, I would guess 70's. Not bad but the rest of the mix overshadows it.
See My Baby Jive from Wizzard( Roy Wood of the Move and ELO fame)
14. One of my favorite songs and bands, Sly and I Want To Take You Higher. Love this, another classic, what a great and influential band.
Correct
15. This sounds like vintage 70's also. I think I've heard it but I'm not coming up with who it is. A full wall of sound arrangement, the enthusiasm and conviction sell it. Good finish.
This is from All Things Must Pass , my fave George song Awaiting on you All
Thanks so much mixer. Good job and even though I knew some of the tracks I was still thoroughly entertained.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope it had the desired effect!

Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
Church Not Made with Hands - The Waterboys
Bright Side of the Road - Van Morrison
Metal Guru - T. Rex
The Story in Your Eyes - The Moody Blues
Good Times - Chic
Dancing In the Moonlight (It's Caught Me In It's Spotlight) - Thin Lizzy
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen
Roll Over Lay Down - Status Quo
Whatever Gets You Thru The Night - John Lennon
Feelin' Alright (Live At Woodstock 1969) - Joe Cocker
Brimful of Asha - Cornershop
See My Baby Jive - Wizzard
I Want to Take You Higher - Sly & The Family Stone
Awaiting On You All - George Harrison

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 29 May 2018, 11:00

fange wrote:A fun mix, cheers sender!

1. A great opener, really enjoyed the large brass band feel of this one, jazzy and funky and right up my alley!
A pair from New Orleans to begin *and indeed end) the mix. There's load of brass bands from NO of course. This one may just be the funkiest - The Hot 8 Brass Band

2. A more contemporary sounding bluesy country tune, enjoyable if not really my thing.
All about the guitar tone here. LOve those hign note acid tones with a bit of cajum thrown in - Sonny Landreth

3. If that isn't John Fogerty's voice i'll eat my laptop. I haven't really investigated his post-CCR stuff, sadly, and I obviously really should. Good version of a classic.
Fogerty indeed with his roots hobby band The Blue Ridge Rangers

4. A soulful contemporary singer and band from the sounds of this one, and enjoyed it. His voice really carries the tune.
YOu should know the voice but may be none the wiser when I tell you this is Sananda Maitreya. But that is the current gone all spiritual name under which Terence TRent D;Arby currently records.

5. The wonderful Dillards, very nice to hear them again, been too long. Have had a fair bit of Copperfields and Wheatstraw on the Spotify this week thanks to you, cheers mixer.
Seemed to recall you were a Dillards fan so this was a bit of a banker

6. This one's grown on me, a nice mix of tired and uplifted acoustic blues with a touch of country fiddle. Look forward to the reveal.
Latest album from the great Chris Smither

7. An uptempo country-ish rocker that is ok musically, though the singer's voice is a little annoying.
Parker Milsap

8. A downtempo country-ish rock ballad, with more than a touch of 'Caroline, No' to it. Like it.
Ive used this in Mix Club and the BCB cup before - SPlitsville from the Complete Pet SOul abum (as in Pet SOunds/Rubber Soul)

9. Mmm, this is the stuff. A hard driving funky blues with lots of breaks and hot guitar. Very nice.
JOe Hicks from his only ? Stax album. On a twofer alnum with Jimmy Hughes Stax album

10. Good little mod jazz instrumental burner, very nice. Perfect for the hot May weather here in HK.
NOt quote back in NO yet but certainly has that feel and this is indeed from the deep south - as in Austraia ! Cookin' On 3 Burners

11. The Spongetones with 'She Goes Out With Everybody'; again, a band I hadn't heard for a while, and you had me digging into their catalogue again, cheers mate.
Yay another Spongetones fan

12. Some ole timey acoustic country blues here, and been digging it. A nice relaxing little ditty.
Before the Everlys, before the Louvins cam The DElmore Brothers

13. That voice sounds so familiar, but just can't place it right now. Nice acoustic ballad, veeery slow, but enjoyable.
You know the voice for sre It's Tim Hardin. Love this album - Suite for Susan Morre and Damian

14. Another good acoustic ballad, and the singer has a strong voice.
Pretty much the best thing out there in this field for me. John Moreland

15. A slow bluesy burner, with a strong female singer I feel I should know. Big sax solo too, good stuff.
THis song is an absolute killer. The great Mitty Collier

16. This is like clear, cool water to me - a gorgeous little doo wop/R&B ballad with great singing. Love.
FRom NO the genre known as Swamp Pop - Cookie and the Cupcakes

17. And a fine funky blues to wrap it up, very nice. The singer sounds a lot like Bobby Rush of 'Chicken Heads' (semi-)fame, especially in the spoken word section. I had 'CHs' on a mix to Whodathunkit a few years back; hope he's ok.
THat's a great spot. It is Bobby Rush

Cheers mixer, a really interesting mix with a lot I enjoyed!
As ever you're welcome
1. The Hot 8 Brass Band - Shot Gun Joe
2. Sonny Landreth - Creole Amngel
3. The Blue Ridge Rangers - Workin' On A Building
4. Sanada Maitrya - Reach Out
5. The Dillards - Touch Her If You Can
6. Chris Smither - Change Yur MInd
7. Parker Milsap - Hands Up
8. Splitsville - Caroline Knowa
9. Joe Hicks - The Team
10. Cookin' On 3 Burners - Tuesday Night Sleuth
11. The Spongetones - She Goes Out With Everybody
12. The Delmore Brothers - Brown's Ferry Blues
13. Tim Hardin - First Love Song
14. John Morelamd - 3.59 a.m
15. Mitty Collier - Gotta Get Away From It All
16. Cookie & The Cupcakes - Just One Kiss
17. Bobby Rsh - Uncle Esau

We're way past rhubarb

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Jun 2018, 14:43

Cheers!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 24 Jun 2018, 19:49

Well it seems I'm last but disc was last sent due to Anna moving and then I was in New York amd Savannah for a bit. ANyway better late than never.......

1. This lost me about two seconds in when he started singing. Dreadful. “You don’t know nuffink”. You can shove your faux rebel mockney street cred where the sun don’t shine. Did I happen to mention that I didn’t like this much?
2. This is more like it. Ska beat. Sounds more modern but from the punk/dub end of the spectrum rather than ska revival.
3. I like this without it quite totally winning me over.
4. Electro pop funk. The playing is fine, but the song itself is a bit of a mess and the “Rap” is pretty boring. There’s a half decent song in here somewhere but seriously lacking a hook.
5. I never really got the love for Roxy Music, so Ferry solo isn’t going to cut it with me either. I find Ferry really annoys me when he does that sliity eyed rictus expression, but this is kind of OK as a slice of radio friendly pop music. But If I want the In Crowd am I going to go back to the original. You betcha.
6. Can this really be Duran Duran. Certainly sounds like it. Don’t know if you are looking for a “fellow traveller” or whether you are amusing yourself at the thought of my potential apoplexy (the latter is fair game by the way. Just imagining Yomp listening to Weller will put a smile on my face). I’m probably going to disappoint you either way. Don’t love it Don’t hate it. It is what it is. I actually have quite a high threshold for stuff from this era, but Lexicon of Love remains my cheese of choice.
7. Mmm sounds like some noodly beats reworking of Janet Leigh in the shower. That sound repeated over and over did start to grate a bit.
8. After a few forays into the world of funk, we get to the real McCoy. Fabulous.
9. I do like stuff with a slightly miserable tone be it Sun kil Moon, Father Jhn Misty, Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, whoever. This lives comfortably somewhere on that scale so scores a hit with me.
10. Same as last track really. Well it’s fifferent of course but I like it for the same reason
11. And something utterly gorgeous to finish. I always liked Beck but Sea Change was a real game changer. The vibe here always reminds me of the first Neil Young album and if you don’t belive me play this and The Old Laughing Lady back to back.

Well thank you Anna. Sorry if a lot of this didn’t quite work for me, but I’d sooner that than playing it too safe and in fairness the mix did finish strongly.
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”