August/September 2017 review thread

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
pcqgod

August/September 2017 review thread

Postby pcqgod » 09 Sep 2017, 21:28

Track one is an upbeat pop/punk song (I’m guessing 90’s or later from a faint 3rd wave ska influence), with female vocals in Spanish. I like this one a lot and need to know who it is. Now!

Track two is a pretty dream-pop number with pleasant female harmony vocals. No idea who this is.

Track three is an upbeat Latin/Gypsy hybrid thing, kind of like the sort of thing Mano Negra used to do.

Track four is Santana live from the early/mid 70's, playing a song I'm more familiar with from the studio version, though I'm not sure of the title.

Track five is another good pop-punk song with a female lead vocal. The vocalist sounds very familiar but I can't quite place who it is.

Track six is an 80's sounding techno pop number. I don't recognize this one either.

Track seven is a modern country song by a female vocalist. Pleasant enough, if not generally the sort of thing I would listen to on my own.

Track eight is a real killer, stylistically in that nether region between punk and old school hard rock like, say, The Runaways. This one also features a female vocalist. I’d be interested in hearing more can’t quite place her.

Track nine is “The Sky is Crying” by Elmore James.

Track ten is another unknown upbeat punk rock number with a female lead vocal.

Track eleven is “Postcard” by Shocking Blue, well known to me already.

Track twelve is an upbeat quirky pop/rock song played by some very capable sounding musicians. I’ve no idea who this is by, but I’m very curious now.

Track thirteen sounds like a 60’s nugget, a somewhat moody, organ-driven number. I can’t place this one, either.

Track fourteen is The Kinks playing “Victoria” live. I know this one is from their ‘One for the Road’ album, because I own it!

Track fifteen is a performance of the “Peter Gunn Theme” by a flamboyant guitarist. The recording sounds like it dates from the 80’s or later. Fun!

Track sixteen is a long jazz-proggy thing that sounds a lot like ’73-’74 era King Crimson, except for the use of electric piano. I’m going to guess this one is UK.

Overall, a very shrewdly assembled mix, with several artists I’m sure I will want to hear more in the future. I also got a bonus mix of obscure rockabilly that I’m listening to and enjoying as I post this. Cheers, mix-maker.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Nick Danger

Re: August/September 2017 review thread

Postby Nick Danger » 10 Sep 2017, 14:00

pcqgod wrote:Track one is an upbeat pop/punk song (I’m guessing 90’s or later from a faint 3rd wave ska influence), with female vocals in Spanish. I like this one a lot and need to know who it is. Now!

This is the all female pop punk latina group Go Betty Go from their first album in 2008.

Track two is a pretty dream-pop number with pleasant female harmony vocals. No idea who this is.

Another all female band Brave Irene from their only album (2011).

Track three is an upbeat Latin/Gypsy hybrid thing, kind of like the sort of thing Mano Negra used to do.

New York gypsy punk band Gogol Bordello.

Track four is Santana live from the early/mid 70's, playing a song I'm more familiar with from the studio version, though I'm not sure of the title.

Santana's No One To Depend On from the Live in South America album. Love the drums.

Track five is another good pop-punk song with a female lead vocal. The vocalist sounds very familiar but I can't quite place who it is.

Wild Love from The Stool Pigeons. It's from their only album which consisted entirely of covers of Herman's Hermits songs.

Track six is an 80's sounding techno pop number. I don't recognize this one either.

The band is Neon Trees from their 2010 album Habits.

Track seven is a modern country song by a female vocalist. Pleasant enough, if not generally the sort of thing I would listen to on my own.

Trisha Yearwood with She's In Love With The Boy.

Track eight is a real killer, stylistically in that nether region between punk and old school hard rock like, say, The Runaways. This one also features a female vocalist. I’d be interested in hearing more can’t quite place her.

Hard Rock/Metal band Girlschool with Race With The Devil.

Track nine is “The Sky is Crying” by Elmore James.

Yep, one of my favorite blues tracks.

Track ten is another unknown upbeat punk rock number with a female lead vocal.

Another all girl band The Eyeliners.

Track eleven is “Postcard” by Shocking Blue, well known to me already.

Yep

Track twelve is an upbeat quirky pop/rock song played by some very capable sounding musicians. I’ve no idea who this is by, but I’m very curious now.

American band Cursive with a song called Dorothy At Forty from their 2006 album Happy Hollow. The Dorothy here is the Wizard of Oz character.

Track thirteen sounds like a 60’s nugget, a somewhat moody, organ-driven number. I can’t place this one, either.

An obscure garage band with an obscure track from an obscure comp. Sometimes by The Zoo.

Track fourteen is The Kinks playing “Victoria” live. I know this one is from their ‘One for the Road’ album, because I own it!

I like this version better than the studio track.

Track fifteen is a performance of the “Peter Gunn Theme” by a flamboyant guitarist. The recording sounds like it dates from the 80’s or later. Fun!

Roy Buchanan from the mid 80s.

Track sixteen is a long jazz-proggy thing that sounds a lot like ’73-’74 era King Crimson, except for the use of electric piano. I’m going to guess this one is UK.

The John McLaughlin led Mahavishnu Orchestra from their first album The Inner Mounting Flame.

Overall, a very shrewdly assembled mix, with several artists I’m sure I will want to hear more in the future. I also got a bonus mix of obscure rockabilly that I’m listening to and enjoying as I post this. Cheers, mix-maker.

Tracklist -

(1) Son Mis Locuras - Go Betty Go
(2) Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
(3) My Companjera - Gogol Bordello
(4) No One To Depend On - Santana
(5) Wild Love - The Stool Pigeons
(6) Girls And Boys In School - Neon Trees
(7) She's In Love With The Boy - Trisha Yearwood
(8) Race With The Devil - Girlschool
(9) The Sky Is Crying - Elmore James
(10) Finished With You - The Eyeliners
(11) Send Me A Postcard - Shocking Blue
(12) Dorothy At Forty - Cursive
(13) Sometimes - The Zoo
(14) Victoria - The Kinks
(15) Peter Gunn - Roy Buchanan
(16) Meeting Of The Spirits - The Mahavishnu Orchestra

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Sep 2017, 17:46

Tracklist -

(1) Son Mis Locuras - Go Betty Go

I'm definitely getting this.

(2) Bank Holiday - Brave Irene

Might check out more by them.

(5) Wild Love - The Stool Pigeons
[10] Finished With You - The Eyeliners

Upon investigation, I actually had tracks by these two on a Sympathy for the Record Industry comp.

(8) Race With The Devil - Girlschool

Oh cool. I know I have an album by them somewhere.

(12) Dorothy At Forty - Cursive

Will definitely get this.

(15) Peter Gunn - Roy Buchanan

Will need to check out more by him.

(16) Meeting Of The Spirits - The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Really! I need this album by them.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 28 Sep 2017, 18:24

Got the mix,
Here's the review.
It had some great licks,
and all of it was new.

1. Very nice instrumental to start things off. It sounds like a fairly big ensemble and even though it's a little
long for this kind of thing it held my interest throughout. There's a lot going on with some tasty solos. Good start.
2. Country tune, probably fairly recent. Nice guitar effects, I like the musicians more than the singer.
3. Americana, singer/songwriter, quite beautiful. Singer sounds familiar, but no idea. Is that a flute? I like.
4. Another singer/songwriter troubadour delivery. Acoustic, doleful. I like doleful. Is this a young Randy Newman?
5. Starts off with a Come Together riff, has a breathy southern rock vibe, soft swamp rock. Pretty good.
6. Male/female folk harmony. Subdued banjo, very pretty, calm and peaceful. Nice.
7. A loping pleasant song, it and the singer come across as kind of generic probably because of what came before.
8. This sounds very familiar, I'll probably find out I own it. Pretty good, good band and singer. Is this the Mavericks?
9. I usually really like this kind of thing. A slow, sad, life weary song unhurried with a lonesome fiddle. It's ok but it
wallows in it a little too much.
10. This is a highlight. Two girl singers, nice song, great harmony. It sounds recent but without the usual excess production.
11. Another singer/songwriter. Acoustic, gentle, unhurried, even doleful again. Good lyrics, expressive singer. Didn't hold up
on repeated listenings as much as most of the others.
12. Country female singer, a good one too. I know I've heard this and should know it but I'm not coming up with it.
13. The tempo rises and we're galloping along with what sounds like modern country. It's ok but it kind of passes me by.
14. This is interesting. Good band, love the guitars. Probably also fairly recent, I would listen to an album of this.
15. This is a fun instrumental, lots of echo and reverb, rhythm guitar up front. Multi guitars, multi effects, I like this a lot.
16. A fitting close after Glen Campbell's recent passing - a beautiful, tasteful instrumental of Wichita Lineman. Great guitar part.
It's very poignant and moving. Good choice.

Thanks mixer for such a well crafted effort. The dominant mood of Americana, country, and singer/songwriters made it all hold
together and flow nicely. Much better than my six genre, jarring creations. Looking forward to the reveal.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Sep 2017, 23:00

Alright, a disc from Yves! And, I knew most of the stuff!

1. TRB - UP Against The Wall - Fuck YEAH
2. Eddie and the Hot Rods - do anything you wanna do - fuck yeah!
3. Graham Parker - Stick to me - yeah, maybe not fuck yeah
4. This sounds like solo Strummer, but not sure what, but it's fabulous
5.Siouxsie - the Passenger, and why not! yeah!
6. Belle Stars - Sign of the Times - fuck yeah!
7. Madness - One Step Beyond - fuck yeah!
8. Nick Lowe - Marie Provost - fuck yeah!
9. Not sure who this is, but I like it - fuck yeah!
10 - no idea at all who this is, a song abut going coast to coast, and I dig it!
11. Undertones - Here Comes The Summer - fuck yeah!
12 - no idea who this is - a song about people making excuses on their phones - I dig it!
13 - This sounds like a cross between ZZ Top and Robert Plant - that is not a bad thing. I love it!
14 - Ian Dury - Billericay Dickie!Alright!
15: Sham 69! If The Kids! Alright!

Cheers for this Yves! Thoroughly enjoyable - I knew a lot of the tracks already but that's cool. Looking forward to the reveal!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Oct 2017, 20:46

HALLELUGAH wrote:Alright, a disc from Yves! And, I knew most of the stuff!

1. TRB - UP Against The Wall - Fuck YEAH
2. Eddie and the Hot Rods - do anything you wanna do - fuck yeah!
3. Graham Parker - Stick to me - yeah, maybe not fuck yeah
4. This sounds like solo Strummer, but not sure what, but it's fabulous
5.Siouxsie - the Passenger, and why not! yeah!
6. Belle Stars - Sign of the Times - fuck yeah!
7. Madness - One Step Beyond - fuck yeah!
8. Nick Lowe - Marie Provost - fuck yeah!
9. Not sure who this is, but I like it - fuck yeah!
10 - no idea at all who this is, a song abut going coast to coast, and I dig it!
11. Undertones - Here Comes The Summer - fuck yeah!
12 - no idea who this is - a song about people making excuses on their phones - I dig it!
13 - This sounds like a cross between ZZ Top and Robert Plant - that is not a bad thing. I love it!
14 - Ian Dury - Billericay Dickie!Alright!
15: Sham 69! If The Kids! Alright!

Cheers for this Yves! Thoroughly enjoyable - I knew a lot of the tracks already but that's cool. Looking forward to the reveal!

The original mix was going to be based on A Brief History of Pub Rock but then I changed My mind and went beyond. ONE STEP BEYOND!

I didn't make it too difficult and you knew most of it. Glad you approved it.

01.Chose this because I like it more than 2-4-6-8 Motorway. Has more punch.
02.Eddie and his Hot Rods became a bit forgotten.
03.For Pub Rock Graham HAD to be there.
04.Certainly Strummer but not solo. His pre-Clash band the 101'ers.
05.Siouxsie covering Iggy.
06.Belle Stars but not with Iko Iko.
07.Madness.
08.Nick Lowe with a song that has a real story. When playing Lowe this goes on first.
09.The Jags, better known for The Back of my Hand. Here they're covering the Tremeloes.
10.Another Pub Rock band, Ducks Deluxe.
11.Undertones is right.
12.Where the singer sounds a bit like Costello. It's Any Trouble.
13.Used to be the brain of Dr.Feelgood then went solo. Wilko Johnson.
14.Dury. Had to be Dickie for me.
15.And the kids are united.

Say hi to Baron's mum for me!

Tom Robinson Band - Up against the wall
Eddie & the Hot Rods - Do anything you wanna do
Graham Parker - Stick to me
The 101'ers - Steamgauge #99
Siouxie & the Banshees - The passenger
Belle Stars - Sign of the times
Madness - One step beyond
Nick Lowe - Mary Provost
The Jags - Here comes my baby
Ducks Deluxe - Coast to coast
Undertones - Here comes the summer
Any Trouble - Playing Bogart
Wilko Johnson - Living in the heart of love
Ian Dury - Billericay Dickie
Sham 69 - If the kids are united
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Oct 2017, 21:01

Excellent! Thanks.
It had never once in my life occurred to me to listen to the 101ers but clearly I was wrong and should rectify that immediately!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 Oct 2017, 06:30

Disc from PCQGOD, which a couple of misfires aside proved thoroughly enjoyable.

1. Sounds like a trailer to one of those ridiculous movies like Reefer madness. Strange to imagine there was a time when this didn’t sound totally bonkers.
2. Garage band style with a hint of British invasion in the mix. Best of both worlds. Raw energy and a tune. Win/win
3. Love this, dumb though it is. I always love that kind of incessant drumming that drives a track. Plus I love anything that swings and this most certainly does.
4. I seem to always get a guitar instrumental on a mix, not that that’s a bad thing, certainly not when it’s as fun as this. All over the place but totally wonderful.
5. I’m sure I know that voice. Not unlike Phil Lynott but doesn’t sound a lot like Thin Lizzy. Another winner in any case.
6. Some toytown psych from the Bee Gees which reveals itself to be a Coca Cola ad. A fun interlude.
7. Obviously the intentional WTF moment. It’s annoying me that I can’t put a name to the tune. I know it so well. Odd how hard that is without the lyrics. Is this Japanese or something. It makes you want to play it again without really knowing if you enjoy it or not !!
8. Rootsy country soul type thing. Interesting vocals which avoid the generic pitfalls of much of this stuff not that that usually worries me as it all fits in my comfort zone.
9. Love this too. Girl group style but the song has strong swing soul elements
10. Never liked this song much anyway. Abbey Road starts with Here Comes The Sun for me. Never really liked side 1 apart from Come Together (obviously) and (less obviously) I’ll always stick up for the otherwise unpopular Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. Next
11. Spotted this as Lulu, which turns out to be the second Coke ad
12. Not for me I’m afraid. Synthy dirge
13. Right back on track here though, and how. I am such a sucker for this stuff. Tennessee Waltz done in proper old country style. Simply wonderful
14. Love this too. Top notch Latin
15. There’s a great post punk pop style song in here somewhere, almost Buzzcocks style, but it is all but annihilated by the mix. Not sure what they were thinking drowning this in a sea of Sabbathesque riffage.
16. Well I knew this straight away and was assuming it was going to be Coke 3 as it initially seemed an odd choice otherwise, but then I actually quite enjoyed hearing this again.
17. …and coming full circle from track 1, Trailer and part of theme to Groupie Girl. An absolute scream.
18. The pop end of the psych spectrum. It’s all a bit of a mess, but enjoyable none the less.

THanks. There'll be a few there for sure I'll be investigating further.
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 02 Oct 2017, 20:07

The Fish wrote:Disc from PCQGOD, which a couple of misfires aside proved thoroughly enjoyable.

1. Sounds like a trailer to one of those ridiculous movies like Reefer madness. Strange to imagine there was a time when this didn’t sound totally bonkers.
2. Garage band style with a hint of British invasion in the mix. Best of both worlds. Raw energy and a tune. Win/win
3. Love this, dumb though it is. I always love that kind of incessant drumming that drives a track. Plus I love anything that swings and this most certainly does.
4. I seem to always get a guitar instrumental on a mix, not that that’s a bad thing, certainly not when it’s as fun as this. All over the place but totally wonderful.
5. I’m sure I know that voice. Not unlike Phil Lynott but doesn’t sound a lot like Thin Lizzy. Another winner in any case.
6. Some toytown psych from the Bee Gees which reveals itself to be a Coca Cola ad. A fun interlude.
7. Obviously the intentional WTF moment. It’s annoying me that I can’t put a name to the tune. I know it so well. Odd how hard that is without the lyrics. Is this Japanese or something. It makes you want to play it again without really knowing if you enjoy it or not !!
8. Rootsy country soul type thing. Interesting vocals which avoid the generic pitfalls of much of this stuff not that that usually worries me as it all fits in my comfort zone.
9. Love this too. Girl group style but the song has strong swing soul elements
10. Never liked this song much anyway. Abbey Road starts with Here Comes The Sun for me. Never really liked side 1 apart from Come Together (obviously) and (less obviously) I’ll always stick up for the otherwise unpopular Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. Next
11. Spotted this as Lulu, which turns out to be the second Coke ad
12. Not for me I’m afraid. Synthy dirge
13. Right back on track here though, and how. I am such a sucker for this stuff. Tennessee Waltz done in proper old country style. Simply wonderful
14. Love this too. Top notch Latin
15. There’s a great post punk pop style song in here somewhere, almost Buzzcocks style, but it is all but annihilated by the mix. Not sure what they were thinking drowning this in a sea of Sabbathesque riffage.
16. Well I knew this straight away and was assuming it was going to be Coke 3 as it initially seemed an odd choice otherwise, but then I actually quite enjoyed hearing this again.
17. …and coming full circle from track 1, Trailer and part of theme to Groupie Girl. An absolute scream.
18. The pop end of the psych spectrum. It’s all a bit of a mess, but enjoyable none the less.

THanks. There'll be a few there for sure I'll be investigating further.

1. Intro – This is from a cd called ‘Psych Out at the Cinema’ which features trailers and music from vintage exploitation movies. Original source unknown.
2. This is by The Embrooks, a UK garage/freakbeat-revival band. Source: ‘Our New Day’ cd, 2000.
3. This track is by Prohibition, a short-lived Austin, Texas super-group, featuring actress/singer Sally Norvell, that performed jazz/swing standards from the 20’s to 40’s. Source: ‘Flophouse’ l.p., 1988.
4. This is a bluegrass standard performed by the Spotnicks, a wacky Swedish group that used to play in homemade space suits. Source: ‘Out-a Space: The Spotnicks in London’ lp, 1962 (cd reissue)
5. Yes, this is Thin Lizzy, from their self-titled debut album, 1970. (1990 cd reissue)
6. Bee Gees for Coke commercial.
7. This is from the soundtrack to ‘Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten: Cambodia’s Lost Rock and Roll,’ a 2015 documentary film. The singer, Chhoun Malay, happily survived the horrific events in her home country and relocated to the West. The melody is based on Tchaikovsky’s “Swan Lake,” which is an amazing coincidence, since Nick Danger sent me an instrumental based on this exact same theme on the bonus rockabilly disc!
8. This one is by Valerie June, a modern artist who fuses folksy country and soul in her music. Source: ‘Pushin’ Against a Stone’ cd, 2013.
9. This is from a Boston group called the Pandoras, who released one single in 1967 and apparently were never heard from again. Source: ‘Girls with Guitars,’ various artists compilation cd, 2004.
10. A Beatles cover by Parliament/Funkadelic axeman, Eddie Hazel. Source: ‘Game, Dames & Guitar Thangs’ lp, 1977 (cd reissue 2012)
11. Lulu for Coke commercial.
12. Track by Void Vision, retro-80’s synth-wave. Source: ‘Sub Rosa’ cd, 2014.
13. Early 50’s hit by Patti Page, later featured on the soundtrack album to the 1970 movie Zabriskie Point,' from which I sourced it.
14. A track by Latin jazz percussionist Ray Barretto, originally released on a mid-60’s album. Source: ‘A Touch of Boogalo’ various artists compilation cd, 1995.
15. Australia’s Hard-Ons, here transitioning from their early Buzzcocks-influenced punk-pop sound to a more metallic place. Source: ‘Love is a Battlefield of Wounded Hearts’ cd, 1989.
16. Another Australian group, the Seekers with their “Georgy Girl” single from 1966. Source: ‘Suddenly 60’s’ various artists cd)
17. ‘Groupie Girl’ (1970) promo, also from ‘Psych Out at the Cinema’ cd.
18. This is a London group called The Tickle, who released one single in 1967 and apparently were never heard from again. Source: ‘Hen’s Teeth, Volume 1,’ various artists compilation cd.

1. Intro
2. Embrooks – Standing Upside Down
3. Prohibition – Digga Digga Doo
4. Spotnicks – Orange Blossom Special
5. Thin Lizzy – Honesty is No Excuse
6. Bee Gees Coke
7. Chhoun Malay – The Story of Our Love
8. Valerie June – Wanna Be on your Mind
9. The Pandoras – (I Could Write a Book) About My Baby
10. Eddie Hazel – I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
11. Lulu Coke
12. Void Vision – Sour
13. Patti Page – Tennessee Waltz
14. Ray Barretto – Watusi ‘65
15. Hard-Ons – Who Do You Wanna Fool?
16. The Seekers – Georgy Girl
17. Groupie Girl
18. The Tickle – Good Evening

Glad you (mostly) enjoyed it.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 Oct 2017, 20:13

Nick Danger wrote:Got the mix,
Here's the review.
It had some great licks,
and all of it was new.

1. Very nice instrumental to start things off. It sounds like a fairly big ensemble and even though it's a little
long for this kind of thing it held my interest throughout. There's a lot going on with some tasty solos. Good start.

THe Roy Buchanan you sent me reminded me that back in the day he shared along with this guy, Danny Gatton, the title of the greatest guitar player youve never heard

2. Country tune, probably fairly recent. Nice guitar effects, I like the musicians more than the singer.

... and if you're looking for the latter day title holder, this guy would feature. Sonny Landreth. Cajun blues with an acid rock tone/ What's not to love.

3. Americana, singer/songwriter, quite beautiful. Singer sounds familiar, but no idea. Is that a flute? I like.

You're a bit off beam with this one, British folk from 1968. Early John Martyn

4. Another singer/songwriter troubadour delivery. Acoustic, doleful. I like doleful. Is this a young Randy Newman?

Possibly my favourite artist of the last decade or so. Joe Henry. A fantastic run of albums.

5. Starts off with a Come Together riff, has a breathy southern rock vibe, soft swamp rock. Pretty good.

One of the lesser known of the Country soul posse. Just one album, but did feature on one of those Country soul comps. John Randolph Marr

6. Male/female folk harmony. Subdued banjo, very pretty, calm and peaceful. Nice.

FRom Roger McGuinn's Folk Den series. Not sure there;s a female there. Think it;s just McGuinn double tracked

7. A loping pleasant song, it and the singer come across as kind of generic probably because of what came before.

One of my favotite bnds in the powere pop style McCartney division The Nines

8. This sounds very familiar, I'll probably find out I own it. Pretty good, good band and singer. Is this the Mavericks?

It is indeed

9. I usually really like this kind of thing. A slow, sad, life weary song unhurried with a lonesome fiddle. It's ok but it
wallows in it a little too much.

Mickey Newbury. Last album before he died. I love this. LIke American era Cash the voice just oozes resonance

10. This is a highlight. Two girl singers, nice song, great harmony. It sounds recent but without the usual excess production.

Yeah I loved this one when I played the mix through. The SEcret Sisters

11. Another singer/songwriter. Acoustic, gentle, unhurried, even doleful again. Good lyrics, expressive singer. Didn't hold up
on repeated listenings as much as most of the others.

John Gorka

12. Country female singer, a good one too. I know I've heard this and should know it but I'm not coming up with it.

Well it;s an overcrowded field for sure but Brandi Carlile sits somewehere near the top

13. The tempo rises and we're galloping along with what sounds like modern country. It's ok but it kind of passes me by.

I uess you could call this "bar band" which is never going to raise a wow, but NRBQ made a career out of ot. THis is Tommy Stimson's band after THe Replacements split - Bash & Pop

14. This is interesting. Good band, love the guitars. Probably also fairly recent, I would listen to an album of this.

This came up when searching John Moreland on Amazon. think he appeared on this guy;s album . Took a punt abd was soon hoovering up anythong I could find. Austin Lucas. Recommended
15. This is a fun instrumental, lots of echo and reverb, rhythm guitar up front. Multi guitars, multi effects, I like this a lot.

Funk N'Awlins style from Eddie Bo

16. A fitting close after Glen Campbell's recent passing - a beautiful, tasteful instrumental of Wichita Lineman. Great guitar part.
It's very poignant and moving. Good choice.

This band has at various times featured members of Giant Sand and Calexico who have moved on leaving the core line up. This is typical of the kind of instrumental they do. THink extreme heat, road in the middle of nowhere, vultures, David Lynch. KInd of the soundtrack to that setup. Friends of Dean Martinez

Thanks mixer for such a well crafted effort. The dominant mood of Americana, country, and singer/songwriters made it all hold
together and flow nicely. Much better than my six genre, jarring creations. Looking forward to the reveal.

As ever you're welcome and thanks for listening
Danny Gatton - Funky Mama
Sonny Landreth - Back To Bayou Teche
John Martym - Fly On Home
Joe Henry - Alice
John Randolph Marr - Sarah
Roger McGuinn - Old Texas
The Nines - Virginia
The Mavericks - All Night Long
Mickey Newbury Help Me Son
The Secret Sisters - He's Fine
John Gorka - The Lockeeper
Brandi Carlile - Late Morning Lullaby
Bash & Pop - Not THis Time
Austin Lucas - Thunder Rail
Eddie Bo - Funky Yeah
Friends of Dean Martinez - Wichita LIneman
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Oct 2017, 13:44

This months disc was full of great stuff and contains and least 5 tracks that are real personal favorites and tracks that I don’t just like but love - so thanks Mrs Mixer , great stuff indeed.

Track One - Adam and the Ants singing about naked ladies, which is every bit as fab as that sounds like it should be.

Track Two - is Bjork , singing about earth intruders. I love a good tribal beat myself. And she has a miraculous voice also of course. Not sure what album this is on , but its really great. Loved the Sugarcubes back in the day but only have

Track Three - is the Boomtown Rats and "Like Clockwork" from Tonic for the Troops if I recall. Love it. Nobody ever mentions the Boomtown Rats anymore, but Tonic and the especially the debut are wonderful.

Track Four - Cocteau and maybe my fave of theirs Aikea-Guinea, glorious. Liz slays me.

Track Five - I love the Croz , Traction in the Rain from "If Only I Could Remember My Name" - wonderful album, wonderful song, I could listen to Crosby all day long.

Track Six - Have no idea who this is, buts its great, nice guitar pop, right up my alley so to speak.

Track Seven - Im not sure Ive ever heard this, its a remix of Little Wonder but not sure what its from.

Track Eight - Oh man, Digable Planets - I used to have a friend who I hung out with and we used to get stoned and play A New Refutation of Space and Time constantly, but I think this is from Blowout Comb ?. This is brilliant of course as is the band.

Track Nine - I think this is Madonna, not a huge fan of her music really, but this is actually ok.

Track Ten - Kate and the Kick Inside - I used to play this album all the time when it fist came out and I was 17 - and of course madly in love with Ms Bush. It still sounds great. Beautiful song. I mostly listen to the newer stuff these days, but this has inspired me to go back and have another listen to the early stuff.

Track 11- Another favorite and This Mortal Coils versh of Roy Harperss beautiful Another Day, I love Roy , I love Liz, end of story.

Thanks again , really enjoyed listening to this.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Oct 2017, 15:25

Mike Boom wrote:This months disc was full of great stuff and contains and least 5 tracks that are real personal favorites and tracks that I don’t just like but love - so thanks Mrs Mixer , great stuff indeed.

Yay! So pleased!

Track One - Adam and the Ants singing about naked ladies, which is every bit as fab as that sounds like it should be.

Indeed indeed, Adam and the gang and "Lady!"

Track Two - is Bjork , singing about earth intruders. I love a good tribal beat myself. And she has a miraculous voice also of course. Not sure what album this is on , but its really great. Loved the Sugarcubes back in the day but only have

This is Earth Intruders from "Volta" which really gets absolutely no play in this house but it should. I don't actually know where my CD is, such is the state of the cupboard. I'll see if I can get it out this weekend!

Track Three - is the Boomtown Rats and "Like Clockwork" from Tonic for the Troops if I recall. Love it. Nobody ever mentions the Boomtown Rats anymore, but Tonic and the especially the debut are wonderful.

Yes of course! Wonderful stuff too.

Track Four - Cocteau and maybe my fave of theirs Aikea-Guinea, glorious. Liz slays me.

She slays me too. Correct, Aikea Guinea.

Track Five - I love the Croz , Traction in the Rain from "If Only I Could Remember My Name" - wonderful album, wonderful song, I could listen to Crosby all day long.

Yes! Magical isn't it?

Track Six - Have no idea who this is, buts its great, nice guitar pop, right up my alley so to speak.

The much maligned Kaiser Chiefs and "You Can Have It All" from "Employment". I suspect if you like that track you would love the LP

Track Seven - Im not sure Ive ever heard this, its a remix of Little Wonder but not sure what its from.

It's from Earthling, I think it's the Junior Vasquez mix.

Track Eight - Oh man, Digable Planets - I used to have a friend who I hung out with and we used to get stoned and play A New Refutation of Space and Time constantly, but I think this is from Blowout Comb ?. This is brilliant of course as is the band.

Correct! Digable Planets and "Black Ego"

Track Nine - I think this is Madonna, not a huge fan of her music really, but this is actually ok.

Correct! Madonna and "I Deserve It." Britt and Dean did a great cover of this.

Track Ten - Kate and the Kick Inside - I used to play this album all the time when it fist came out and I was 17 - and of course madly in love with Ms Bush. It still sounds great. Beautiful song. I mostly listen to the newer stuff these days, but this has inspired me to go back and have another listen to the early stuff.

Correct again!

Track 11- Another favorite and This Mortal Coils versh of Roy Harperss beautiful Another Day, I love Roy , I love Liz, end of story.

Correct again! I don't actually go and look at what a recipient is into when I make a disc, so I was unaware you would be familiar with all of this - but, I don't think that's a bad thing. Glad you enjoyed!

Thanks again , really enjoyed listening to this.

Dr Markus wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2017, 16:16

When's the next sign-up, folks?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Oct 2017, 17:21

fange wrote:When's the next sign-up, folks?

after I get my Aug/Sept disc. if I ever get it...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2017, 23:36

Ah.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Oct 2017, 14:57

fange wrote:Ah.

:lol:

Return to “Mix Club”