Sept/Oct Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Mike Boom

Sept/Oct Reviews

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Nov 2021, 22:20

Really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed every track, great varied collection.

1. Very funky , no idea who it is but its great. Very African
2. Electro pop number that I know Ive heard before but can’t place. Perfect Disco and very catchy.
3. Elektro Cardiagram - Kraftwerk. Fantastic of course.
4. Wonderful slice of 50’s rock n roll. Love it
5. Lovely piece of rootsy acoustic guitar music. Kind of acoustic high life guitar. Great
6. Lovely very spacey instrumental with great haunting guitar.
7. This is Fiona Apple I think , not sure what the track is from.
8. Really love this, a great slice of Prefab Sproutish guitar pop with a touch of Bacharach to it.

Many thanks to my Mixer for a very enjoyable listen.

Nick Danger

Re: Sept/Oct Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Nov 2021, 13:30

A fun and entertaining mix this time, liked every track.

1. Fun, garagey, great percussion and guitar. The feel is of a train coming down the tracks. Like the echoey vocal. The drums and guitar carry it.
2. Rockabilly, nice energy, another good one.
3. Girl group, not sure of era. When the song is good I'm always ready for this kind of stuff. I like this.
4. An instrumental, trebeley guitar, tune is very familiar but I can't place it. This is ok.
5. Ensemble vocals, almost theatrical. This tune also sounds familiar. Nice guitar parts. Good bassline.
6. This is one I know pretty well but I can't remember who the artist is. Who's making love to your old lady while you was out making love. A classic.
7. It's Hendrix with Red House. Love the slinky echoey guitar, lots of reverb, a great blues number.
8. The Who with the Kids Are Alright. My favorite Who era. Great to hear again in this context.
9. A live performance, Santana? Great drums, two drummers I think. The guitar and percussion carry it.
10. Jump and jive, Ice Cream Man. Not vintage I think, nicely executed. Great energy.
11. Soundtracky, orchestral piece. The tune is reminiscent of Strange Fruit. Good female vocal, love the horns and strings.

Good job mixer, looking forward to the reveal.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Nov 2021, 00:16

Mike Boom wrote:Really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed every track, great varied collection.

1. Very funky , no idea who it is but its great. Very African
2. Electro pop number that I know Ive heard before but can’t place. Perfect Disco and very catchy.
3. Elektro Cardiagram - Kraftwerk. Fantastic of course.
4. Wonderful slice of 50’s rock n roll. Love it
5. Lovely piece of rootsy acoustic guitar music. Kind of acoustic high life guitar. Great
6. Lovely very spacey instrumental with great haunting guitar.
7. This is Fiona Apple I think , not sure what the track is from.
8. Really love this, a great slice of Prefab Sproutish guitar pop with a touch of Bacharach to it.

Many thanks to my Mixer for a very enjoyable listen.

Oh, good! Glad to hear it went down well. Here's your reveal..

1. Little Simz - Point and Kill. The album is from, "Sometimes I Might Be Introvert" is one of my albums of the year. Superb.
2. Kylie Minogue -Come Into My World!
3. Kraftwerk - you guessed it. Added as a HILARIOUS REMINDER of my recent hospital stay :D
4. Huey Smith & His Clowns -Free, Single and Disengaged
5. Habib Koite and Barnada- Din Won Do
6. Four Tet - She Just Likes To Fight!
7. Fiona Apple -Cosmonauts. Yeah, I listened to her for the FIRST TIME when someone bought me the album this came from recently. What an album. I mean, just perfect from beginning to end.
8.Eric Matthews- My Morning Parade. I ummed and ahhed about ending on this as it didn't really flow, but I thought WHAT THE HELL! Glad you enjoyed!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Nov 2021, 05:20

Nick Danger wrote:A fun and entertaining mix this time, liked every track.

1. Fun, garagey, great percussion and guitar. The feel is of a train coming down the tracks. Like the echoey vocal. The drums and guitar carry it.

80’s Swedish garage rockers The Nomads.

2. Rockabilly, nice energy, another good one.

The Knitters, the country alter ego of the Los Angeles punk band X.

3. Girl group, not sure of era. When the song is good I'm always ready for this kind of stuff. I like this.

60’s pop group The Robbs.

4. An instrumental, trebeley guitar, tune is very familiar but I can't place it. This is ok.

Mickey Baker, best known as ½ of Mickey & Sylvia, with his version of the theme from the 1949 noir movie ‘The Third Man.’

5. Ensemble vocals, almost theatrical. This tune also sounds familiar. Nice guitar parts. Good bassline.

Tracey Ullman’s version of a 1974 novelty hit by Reunion.

6. This is one I know pretty well but I can't remember who the artist is. Who's making love to your old lady while you was out making love. A classic.

Stax recording artist Johnnie Taylor.

7. It's Hendrix with Red House. Love the slinky echoey guitar, lots of reverb, a great blues number.

Yep, from the album ‘The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.’

8. The Who with the Kids Are Alright. My favorite Who era. Great to hear again in this context.

Yes, I love this era of The Who also.

9. A live performance, Santana? Great drums, two drummers I think. The guitar and percussion carry it.

Atomic Forest, a 70’s rock band from Mumbai, India.

10. Jump and jive, Ice Cream Man. Not vintage I think, nicely executed. Great energy.

A classic blues number by Two Tons of Steel from San Antonio, Texas, from their 2005 album ‘Vegas.’

11. Soundtracky, orchestral piece. The tune is reminiscent of Strange Fruit. Good female vocal, love the horns and strings.

Icelandic singer Emiliana Torrini, with the end credit song from ‘The Two Towers.’ (2002)

1. The Nomads – Real Gone Lover
2. The Knitters – Call of the Wreckin’ Ball
3. The Robbs – Cynthia Loves
4. Mickey Baker – Third Man Theme
5. Tracey Ullman – Life is a Rock (but the radio rolled me)
6. Johnnie Taylor – Who’s Making Love?
7. Jimi Hendrix – Red House (live)
8. The Who – The Kids are Alright
9. Atomic Forest – Obsession ‘77
10. Two Tons of Steel – Ice Cream Man
11. Emiliana Torrini – Gollum’s Song

Thanks for listening!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 12 Dec 2021, 12:44

Way overdue, so many apologies. Hopefully worth the wait as I enjoyed the disc and look forward to the reveal.

1) Great start, hints of early Jackson Browne in places, with a heavy dose of steel guitar.
2) Well you’ve made Googa proud ! The Seekers actually made some really good records and Googs would probably have got some agreement on that were if not for the hyperbole of labelling them the greatest thing to come out of Australia, and Judith Durham as the greatest female singer ever (neither true)
3) Countryish feel. Pleasant at worst. A grower.
4) America? Has that feel. Liked them well enough but maybe a bit too “mellow” but enjoying this.
5) 60s Garagey pop feel. Like this a lot.
6) The “it wouldn’t be a Nick Danger mix without some folk” selection no1. Sounds Appalachian style. Reminds me of Hedy West
7) Similar feel to track 5
8) The whole gamut of coutry rock is kind of in my blood, so this can’t fail although a bit “smooth” for my preferred taste
9) Similarly anything with any combination of banjo, mandolin and fiddle can’t fail. Sounds like a later example (Grisman, Rowan etc)
10) Country rock again but this one is really hitting the spot.
11) Always liked the song. I assume it’s Marty Robbins.
12) Proper country always gets a resounding Yes from me.
13) Like this. Really lifted y the “big” production – strings and drums a plenty
14) If you don’t like Patsy you don’t like music.
15) Voix Bulgares? Certainly that eastern Orthodox choir style. Haunting and compelling, Great in short doses but there is a certain stridency, not unpleasant in itself which I think I could tire of with extended listening.

Thanks for another fine mix.
Plenty her which will ahve me scurrying to Amazon, or my CD collection (invariably things i\ lke turn out to be things I own.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Dec 2021, 01:38

Now then! What's going on here then....

1. Sweet and Christmassy song about New Zealand it seems - love the lyrics, and love the sound
2. Vaguely Sparksy fabulous New Wave tune
3. Gosh, I like this- absolutely excellent -and also sounds vaguely New Zealandish!
4. Not quite as crazy about this -it is into a territory I am not fond of
5. This is a cool new Wavey thing - which also sounds like it's from New Zealand! Am I detecting a theme??
6. LOVE this. Sounds very Psychedelic Furry
7. Some melancholia, vaguely folky, really interesting stuff
8. This is great. Intentionally nostlalgic sounding I'm sure- I have no idea at all who this is - or anyone else so far!
9. A song about April in Cuba? Sounds genuinely 1970s- in a good way!
10. Love this. Vaguely psychedelic -almost Television type feel. Who the fucking hell are all these bands????
11. Not quite sure what to make of this -almost sounds like Lloyd Cole on acid- or The The- I wouldn't say I DON'T like it- it's just a bit of a trifle!
12. This is fucking MENTAL but I like it!
13. This is a BIT wimpy for me but I appreciate the artistry
14. This is more like it! More woozy guitars
15. An absolutely splendid and batshit mental song about surfing :lol:

what an absolutely fascinating selection of stuff. It's so rare that I get a whole CD of stuff that I have absolutely no idea about , but this was the time! I cannot WAIT to hear who all these people are!
Thank you so much!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Dec 2021, 05:23

1. Fun, upbeat song in a Western Swing style with lyrics about a peroxide blonde.
2. Mid-tempo pop-rock song with a chorus of “since you went away.”
3. Elegant, slow pop-rock, echoes of late Beatles, Big Star and Badfinger. Nice background vocals.
4. Old school r & b number, has a bit of a New Orleans flavor to my ears.
5. Odd, mellow pop song with a synthesizer-heavy backing track.
6. Sounds like a soft, upbeat 60’s era pop song, in the mold of bands like The Cyrkle and Every Mother’s Son. Nice harmony vocals.
7. This one sounds like a more low-key version of “Up the Junction” by Squeeze, except it actually has a chorus.
8. Another moody pop-rock song with an oddly dischordant guitar solo and a keyboard sound that reminds me of old-fashioned home organs.
9. An old song in the calypso style. Good party number.
10. Mellowish singer-songwriter kind of song with lyrics about a junkie girl. Other than some unexpectedly jazzy chords this one doesn’t do much for me.
11. Exciting horn driven instrumental. One of those tracks that is a party all by itself.
12. Pleasant pop-rock song with a female vocalist.
13. A song in the classic ’63 surf rock style.
14. A good power pop song in a Dave Edmunds/Rockpile kind of vein.
15. Driving rockabilly bordering on psychobilly number. Loose performance that sounds on the verge of breaking down at any point.
16. Nice, upbeat alt pop rock with a female vocalist.

Good job of stumping me; there are only a few tracks that I might hazard a guess as to the identity of the musicians in question. Looking forward to the reveal, especially for tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 11.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 13 Dec 2021, 09:08

pcqgod wrote:1. Fun, upbeat song in a Western Swing style with lyrics about a peroxide blonde.

Webb Wilder. The alter ego of actor John McMurry who developed this persona for a short film and then continued it as a musical career

2. Mid-tempo pop-rock song with a chorus of “since you went away.”

From disc of early recordings by Ric Menck and Paul Chastain who went on to form Velvet Crush

3. Elegant, slow pop-rock, echoes of late Beatles, Big Star and Badfinger. Nice background vocals.

The Merrymakers - Swedish power pop

4. Old school r & b number, has a bit of a New Orleans flavor to my ears.

New Orleans is right. Chris Kenner, best known for original version of Land of 1000 dances

5. Odd, mellow pop song with a synthesizer-heavy backing track.

Darlingside. I love their unusual use of harmonies

6. Sounds like a soft, upbeat 60’s era pop song, in the mold of bands like The Cyrkle and Every Mother’s Son. Nice harmony vocals.

I have 6 and 7 the other way round. This one is from a twofer relabelled as Paisley Dreams by Tommy Roe featurng the two albums he made jumping on the psych bandwagon

7. This one sounds like a more low-key version of “Up the Junction” by Squeeze, except it actually has a chorus.

Unsurprisingly Chris Difford solo

8. Another moody pop-rock song with an oddly dischordant guitar solo and a keyboard sound that reminds me of old-fashioned home organs.

A "probably just me" band - Hippo Campus

9. An old song in the calypso style. Good party number.

One of the giants of calypso - Mighty Sparrow. This song was covered on Van Dyke Parks album Discover America. May be non PC complaining the women at the club are too old, but the line about walking round with a face like Jack Palance always makes me laugh

10. Mellowish singer-songwriter kind of song with lyrics about a junkie girl. Other than some unexpectedly jazzy chords this one doesn’t do much for me.

solo from Walter Becker

11. Exciting horn driven instrumental. One of those tracks that is a party all by itself.

Back to New Orleans. There's a whole load of brass bands from NOLA This one is the Hot 8 brass Band

12. Pleasant pop-rock song with a female vocalist.

The Psycho Sisters - one off collaboration between Vicki Peterson of The Bangles and Susan Cowsill

13. A song in the classic ’63 surf rock style.

Lesser known surf band The Hondells

14. A good power pop song in a Dave Edmunds/Rockpile kind of vein.

Great Australian bnd - Middle Kids

15. Driving rockabilly bordering on psychobilly number. Loose performance that sounds on the verge of breaking down at any point.

The slightly unhinged Hasil Adkins - a true one off

16. Nice, upbeat alt pop rock with a female vocalist.

One of my favourite power pop albums - Cherry Twister. The singer is definitely male btw

Good job of stumping me; there are only a few tracks that I might hazard a guess as to the identity of the musicians in question. Looking forward to the reveal, especially for tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 11.
Glad you enjoyed

1. Webb Wilder - Peroxide Blonde
2. Ric Menck and Paul Chastain - Briar Rose
3. The Merrymakers - Smiling In The Sky
4. Chris Kenner - That's My Girl
5. Darlingside - Eschaton
6. Tommy Roe - Goodbye Yesterday
7. Chris Difford - Come On Down
8. Hippo Campus - Honestly
9. Mighty Sparrow - Jack Palance
10. Walter Becker - Junkie Girl
11. The Hot 8 Brass Band - Wolf Burger
12. The Psycho Sisters - Never Never Boys
13. The Hondells - The Rebel (without A Cause)
14. Middle KIds - R U 4 Me
15. Hasil Adkins - Pond Fork River
16. Cherry Twister - Maryann

We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Dec 2021, 00:40

The Fish wrote:Way overdue, so many apologies. Hopefully worth the wait as I enjoyed the disc and look forward to the reveal.

1) Great start, hints of early Jackson Browne in places, with a heavy dose of steel guitar.

Mid nineties singer/songwriter Chuck Prophet.

2) Well you’ve made Googa proud ! The Seekers actually made some really good records and Googs would probably have got some agreement on that were if not for the hyperbole of labelling them the greatest thing to come out of Australia, and Judith Durham as the greatest female singer ever (neither true)
This is probably the only song by them I like.

3) Countryish feel. Pleasant at worst. A grower.

Forgiveness - Chris Hillman

4) America? Has that feel. Liked them well enough but maybe a bit too “mellow” but enjoying this.

It's America, one of my favorite deeper cuts by them Old Man Took.

5) 60s Garagey pop feel. Like this a lot.

Temptation Eyes by the Grass Roots, a late 60s U.S. hit.

6) The “it wouldn’t be a Nick Danger mix without some folk” selection no1. Sounds Appalachian style. Reminds me of Hedy West

This is a string and vocal trio called Low Lily who do this retro roots folk stuff.

7) Similar feel to track 5

This is Laugh Laugh, a mid sixties hit for the Beau Brummels.

8) The whole gamut of coutry rock is kind of in my blood, so this can’t fail although a bit “smooth” for my preferred taste

Bitter Blue - Poco

9) Similarly anything with any combination of banjo, mandolin and fiddle can’t fail. Sounds like a later example (Grisman, Rowan etc)

This is 1960s Dock Watson with the song Shady Grove. That's his son Merle on banjo.

10) Country rock again but this one is really hitting the spot.

Mid seventies Dion DiMucci.

11) Always liked the song. I assume it’s Marty Robbins.

It's Marty. One of my favorite cowboy songs.

12) Proper country always gets a resounding Yes from me.

Laughed Until We Cried - Jason Aldean (2007)

13) Like this. Really lifted y the “big” production – strings and drums a plenty

Summer Rain - Johnny Rivers (1967)

14) If you don’t like Patsy you don’t like music.

One of my favorite Patsy songs.

15) Voix Bulgares? Certainly that eastern Orthodox choir style. Haunting and compelling, Great in short doses but there is a certain stridency, not unpleasant in itself which I think I could tire of with extended listening.

Wow. I'm impressed that you could identify this. It's a recent discovery for me. I see what you mean about the short doses. I made myself a six song mix that I've been listening to.

Thanks for another fine mix.
Plenty her which will ahve me scurrying to Amazon, or my CD collection (invariably things i\ lke turn out to be things I own.

Tracklist-

1. Battered and Bruised - Chuck Prophet
2. I'll Never Find Another You - The Seekers
3. Forgiveness - Chris Hillman
4. Old Man Took - America
5. Temptation Eyes - The Grass Roots
6. Rock Of Ages - Low Lily
7. Laugh Laugh - The Beau Brummels
8. Bitter Blue - Poco
9. Shady Grove - Doc Watson
10. Running Close Behind You - Dion
11. The Streets Of Laredo - Marty Robbins
12. Laughed Until We Cried - Jason Aldean
13. Summer Rain - Johnny Rivers
14. Leavin' On Your Mind - Patsy Cline
15. Messetschinko Lio Grelivke - Bulgarian State Female Choir

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 Dec 2021, 04:51

Nick Danger wrote:

1. Battered and Bruised - Chuck Prophet
2. I'll Never Find Another You - The Seekers
3. Forgiveness - Chris Hillman
4. Old Man Took - America
5. Temptation Eyes - The Grass Roots
6. Rock Of Ages - Low Lily
7. Laugh Laugh - The Beau Brummels
8. Bitter Blue - Poco
9. Shady Grove - Doc Watson
10. Running Close Behind You - Dion
11. The Streets Of Laredo - Marty Robbins
12. Laughed Until We Cried - Jason Aldean
13. Summer Rain - Johnny Rivers
14. Leavin' On Your Mind - Patsy Cline
15. Messetschinko Lio Grelivke - Bulgarian State Female Choir

Wow, you certainly have a knack for catching me out with things I own !

Doc Watson, Chuck Prophet, Beau Brummels

I also bought up all those later Dion albums after a track you sent me before. I have the Johnny Rivers on a twofer but tend to hone in on the other album as it's full of Jimmy Webb covers, something of an obsession of mine.

There's more where I need to plug some gaps. I'm missing this Poco album Cantamos (and Seven) and I have the first Grass Roots album which is the PF Sloan incarnation and virtually a different band, so a chance to spend some cash. Thanks again
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 14 Dec 2021, 21:25

Very glad you enjoyed it, wasn’t sure if a disc full of unfamiliar New Zealand bands would go down well or not
Mostly stuff from the Flying Nun label, purveyors of the “Dunedin Sound” of the late 70’s and 80’s.
Spent many years and had a lot of great times seeing these bands live in the pubs,clubs and theatres of NZ at the time.

Song for Randy Newman Etc. The Chills
From Dunedin the legendary Martin Phillips and The Chills from the Soft Bomb album recorded in England in 1992 and features Van Dyke Parks, Dave Mattacks and Peter Holsapple. Hugely talented but somewhat wayward fellow Martin, recently recovered from Hepatitis C. His is a long and somewhat tortured history - there is a documentary about the man available called The Triumph and Tragedy of Martin Phillipps, which says it all really.

Counting The Beat The Swingers
Phil Judd ex of Split Enz and his fabulous band the Swingers, a number 1 in Australia and New Zealand in 1981

Not Given Lightly Chris Knox
The legendary Nun stalwart Chris Knox and his 4 track recorder, responsible for most the early Flying Nun recordings.

Be Mine Tonight Th' Dudes
The more mainstream 70s pub rockers, first band of singer songwriter Dave Dobbyn before he went solo.

Squeeze Toy Love
Chris Knox again and his marvelous band band Toy Love

Pink Frost The Chills
Martin Phillips and the Chills again and the early Flying Nun classic single from 1981

Clover Tall Dwarfs
Knox again and his duo with Alec Bathgate Tall Dwarfs

Nature The Fourmyula
Classic track from the late sixties Nature that actually went to Number 1 in NZ in 1969. Remade in 1995 by the Mutton Birds

April Sun In Cuba Dragon
Dragon were more of a mainstream pub band like Th Dudes. This was there big hit from 1977 a Number 2 single in Australia and Number 9 in NZ

Husband House Sneaky Feelings
Unsung heroes from the Flying Nun era, wonderful Dunedin band Sneaky Feelings from 1985, it actually went to
Number 16 on the singles charts

Whaling Dave Dobbyn
Solo single from Dave Dobbyn. (see Th’ Dudes)

Gutter Black Hello Sailor
From 1977, Dave McCartney and Hello Sailor, ran off to LA to become famous and got as far as opening for the Knack, who apparently loved them, but like most Kiwi bands returned to NZ to further local success and international obscurity.

Down in Splendour Straitjacket Fits
An unusually pretty track from the usually very noisy Dunedin band Straitjacket Fits.

The Young and the Restless 3Ds
Was lucky enough to spend a month or so careering around the North Island beaches in a van on a summer tour with these Flying Nunners the 3Ds featuring the genius of guitarist David Mitchell. Famously blew away Nirvana when they opened for them in Auckland in 92 and got into trouble with U2’s management for stealing their Champagne from their dressing room. (To his credit the story goes that Bono apparently found out and insisted they be paid double and sent an extra bottle or two. Bless!)

Sad Surf Senario Voom
Buzz Moller and his band Voom from the 98 album Now I Am Me.

Song for Randy Newman Etc. - The Chills
Counting The Beat - The Swingers
Not Given Lightly - Chris Knox
Be Mine Tonight - Th Dudes
Squeeze -Toy Love
Pink Frost - The Chills
Clover - Tall Dwarfs
Nature - The Fourmyula
April Sun In Cuba - Dragon
Husband House - Sneaky Feelings
Whaling - Dave Dobbyn
Gutter Black - Hello Sailor
Down in Splendour - Straitjacket Fits
The Young and the Restless -3Ds
Sad Surf Senario - Voom

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jan 2022, 01:29

I LOVED it.

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”