Sept/Oct Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Mike Boom

Sept/Oct Reviews

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Nov 2021, 22:20

Really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed every track, great varied collection.

1. Very funky , no idea who it is but its great. Very African
2. Electro pop number that I know Ive heard before but can’t place. Perfect Disco and very catchy.
3. Elektro Cardiagram - Kraftwerk. Fantastic of course.
4. Wonderful slice of 50’s rock n roll. Love it
5. Lovely piece of rootsy acoustic guitar music. Kind of acoustic high life guitar. Great
6. Lovely very spacey instrumental with great haunting guitar.
7. This is Fiona Apple I think , not sure what the track is from.
8. Really love this, a great slice of Prefab Sproutish guitar pop with a touch of Bacharach to it.

Many thanks to my Mixer for a very enjoyable listen.

Nick Danger

Re: Sept/Oct Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Nov 2021, 13:30

A fun and entertaining mix this time, liked every track.

1. Fun, garagey, great percussion and guitar. The feel is of a train coming down the tracks. Like the echoey vocal. The drums and guitar carry it.
2. Rockabilly, nice energy, another good one.
3. Girl group, not sure of era. When the song is good I'm always ready for this kind of stuff. I like this.
4. An instrumental, trebeley guitar, tune is very familiar but I can't place it. This is ok.
5. Ensemble vocals, almost theatrical. This tune also sounds familiar. Nice guitar parts. Good bassline.
6. This is one I know pretty well but I can't remember who the artist is. Who's making love to your old lady while you was out making love. A classic.
7. It's Hendrix with Red House. Love the slinky echoey guitar, lots of reverb, a great blues number.
8. The Who with the Kids Are Alright. My favorite Who era. Great to hear again in this context.
9. A live performance, Santana? Great drums, two drummers I think. The guitar and percussion carry it.
10. Jump and jive, Ice Cream Man. Not vintage I think, nicely executed. Great energy.
11. Soundtracky, orchestral piece. The tune is reminiscent of Strange Fruit. Good female vocal, love the horns and strings.

Good job mixer, looking forward to the reveal.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 27 Nov 2021, 00:16

Mike Boom wrote:Really enjoyed this mix, enjoyed every track, great varied collection.

1. Very funky , no idea who it is but its great. Very African
2. Electro pop number that I know Ive heard before but can’t place. Perfect Disco and very catchy.
3. Elektro Cardiagram - Kraftwerk. Fantastic of course.
4. Wonderful slice of 50’s rock n roll. Love it
5. Lovely piece of rootsy acoustic guitar music. Kind of acoustic high life guitar. Great
6. Lovely very spacey instrumental with great haunting guitar.
7. This is Fiona Apple I think , not sure what the track is from.
8. Really love this, a great slice of Prefab Sproutish guitar pop with a touch of Bacharach to it.

Many thanks to my Mixer for a very enjoyable listen.

Oh, good! Glad to hear it went down well. Here's your reveal..

1. Little Simz - Point and Kill. The album is from, "Sometimes I Might Be Introvert" is one of my albums of the year. Superb.
2. Kylie Minogue -Come Into My World!
3. Kraftwerk - you guessed it. Added as a HILARIOUS REMINDER of my recent hospital stay :D
4. Huey Smith & His Clowns -Free, Single and Disengaged
5. Habib Koite and Barnada- Din Won Do
6. Four Tet - She Just Likes To Fight!
7. Fiona Apple -Cosmonauts. Yeah, I listened to her for the FIRST TIME when someone bought me the album this came from recently. What an album. I mean, just perfect from beginning to end.
8.Eric Matthews- My Morning Parade. I ummed and ahhed about ending on this as it didn't really flow, but I thought WHAT THE HELL! Glad you enjoyed!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Nov 2021, 05:20

Nick Danger wrote:A fun and entertaining mix this time, liked every track.

1. Fun, garagey, great percussion and guitar. The feel is of a train coming down the tracks. Like the echoey vocal. The drums and guitar carry it.

80’s Swedish garage rockers The Nomads.

2. Rockabilly, nice energy, another good one.

The Knitters, the country alter ego of the Los Angeles punk band X.

3. Girl group, not sure of era. When the song is good I'm always ready for this kind of stuff. I like this.

60’s pop group The Robbs.

4. An instrumental, trebeley guitar, tune is very familiar but I can't place it. This is ok.

Mickey Baker, best known as ½ of Mickey & Sylvia, with his version of the theme from the 1949 noir movie ‘The Third Man.’

5. Ensemble vocals, almost theatrical. This tune also sounds familiar. Nice guitar parts. Good bassline.

Tracey Ullman’s version of a 1974 novelty hit by Reunion.

6. This is one I know pretty well but I can't remember who the artist is. Who's making love to your old lady while you was out making love. A classic.

Stax recording artist Johnnie Taylor.

7. It's Hendrix with Red House. Love the slinky echoey guitar, lots of reverb, a great blues number.

Yep, from the album ‘The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.’

8. The Who with the Kids Are Alright. My favorite Who era. Great to hear again in this context.

Yes, I love this era of The Who also.

9. A live performance, Santana? Great drums, two drummers I think. The guitar and percussion carry it.

Atomic Forest, a 70’s rock band from Mumbai, India.

10. Jump and jive, Ice Cream Man. Not vintage I think, nicely executed. Great energy.

A classic blues number by Two Tons of Steel from San Antonio, Texas, from their 2005 album ‘Vegas.’

11. Soundtracky, orchestral piece. The tune is reminiscent of Strange Fruit. Good female vocal, love the horns and strings.

Icelandic singer Emiliana Torrini, with the end credit song from ‘The Two Towers.’ (2002)

1. The Nomads – Real Gone Lover
2. The Knitters – Call of the Wreckin’ Ball
3. The Robbs – Cynthia Loves
4. Mickey Baker – Third Man Theme
5. Tracey Ullman – Life is a Rock (but the radio rolled me)
6. Johnnie Taylor – Who’s Making Love?
7. Jimi Hendrix – Red House (live)
8. The Who – The Kids are Alright
9. Atomic Forest – Obsession ‘77
10. Two Tons of Steel – Ice Cream Man
11. Emiliana Torrini – Gollum’s Song

Thanks for listening!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?