Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby The Prof » 18 Jun 2020, 10:14

Will give it a spin.

I enjoyed* the film Laundromat with Meryl Streep about corporate fraud and Panama accounts. I think you'll feel suitable angered if you find it.

(*enraged beyond belief)

`

Postby ` » 18 Jun 2020, 16:51

Only got through the first episode.

It was good but was badly padded out.

Didn't fancy sitting through another five eps so moved on to something else (The Devil Next Door on NF - about John Demanjuek - very, very good)

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Aug 2020, 22:52

It's a replay of Deutschland 86. This series has me engrossed and fascinated all over again.

Available on Channel 4 catch up, all 10 episodes.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 23 Aug 2020, 09:44

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Sep 2020, 16:07

I finished the first season of "The End of the F.... World." Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after initially hating the lead characters.

Will probably start "The Boys" soon. Not sure if I want to give "Umbrella Academy" a chance. Both series seem to start with such cliched premises, so I've been delaying on both.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Sep 2020, 16:23

Yesterday I had the t.v. to myself and I flipped to the Adult Swim app and binged some "Tim and Eric Awesome Show" and "The Heart, She Holler," two shows I never watched much before, even though both have that "what the hell am I watching" vibe I can't resist. Certainly the best of this type of programming since the glory days of "Liquid Television."

`

Postby ` » 06 Sep 2020, 12:12

pcqgod wrote:I finished the first season of "The End of the F.... World." Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after initially hating the lead characters.

Will probably start "The Boys" soon. Not sure if I want to give "Umbrella Academy" a chance. Both series seem to start with such cliched premises, so I've been delaying on both.

While can't stand the CGI flash, bang, wallop and endless reboots of big screen superheroes like Batman, Spiderman, etc, love the gritty feel of the largely character-driven shows devoted to less glamorous characters like Jessica Jones and Daredevil.

Falling somewhere between the two, S1 of the Boys was very, very good (am looking forward to S2 which starts on Tues), I also enjoyed Umbrellla Academy but if had to choose between the two, the Boys would slightly shade it.

If you've not seen it, Gotham (all episodes of which are on NF) is also hugely good fun

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Sep 2020, 09:45

Strike : Lethal White on BBC1.

It's based on one of the Cormoran Strike detective novels by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)

Terrific!

The 4th of 4 episodes will be on Sunday 13 September, 9pm. Set your calendars.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Sep 2020, 17:31

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Sep 2020, 03:33

The new "Chef's Table: BBQ" on Netflix starts with a really nice episode about Tootsie Tomanetz, an octogenarian pitmaster in central Texas. She's a great character and it's a great half hour or however long it is. It portrays my part of the world in winter, which was really lovely for me to see.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Sep 2020, 19:52

Sam Stone wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I finished the first season of "The End of the F.... World." Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after initially hating the lead characters.

While can't stand the CGI flash, bang, wallop and endless reboots of big screen superheroes like Batman, Spiderman, etc, love the gritty feel of the largely character-driven shows devoted to less glamorous characters like Jessica Jones and Daredevil.

Falling somewhere between the two, S1 of the Boys was very, very good (am looking forward to S2 which starts on Tues), I also enjoyed Umbrellla Academy but if had to choose between the two, the Boys would slightly shade it.

If you've not seen it, Gotham (all episodes of which are on NF) is also hugely good fun

I watched "Gotham" from start to end on network t.v. here. I can't say that I wasn't disappointed by the later seasons. The first season was fairly promising when it was essentially a cop show centered around Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock and Penguin was a vicious street thug scheming his way to the top. It got increasingly sillier and campier as it went on, but I stuck with it because I liked the characters and the actors playing them.

I've gotten through the first four episodes of "The Boys" now and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't even realize that was Karl Urban until I read the credits at the end of the first episode.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Sep 2020, 07:00

Best line in yesterday's Frankie Boyle's New World Order? - 'Boris Johnson with his fluffy lockdown hair, increasingly it looks like you could blow on his head to find out the time in cuntland'
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Sep 2020, 13:14

I've been revisiting One Foot in the Grave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Foot_in_the_Grave

I can relate to Victor Meldrew ...

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 30 Sep 2020, 18:50

Honour (ITV1) based on real life two part drama.

I'm still stupefied, maybe more so by the fact that I've just discovered Banaz lived about 2 miles or less from me.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Oct 2020, 16:02

We are currently watching Brideshead Revisited and I am shocked at the extent to which I had forgotten how fucking wonderful it is. I mean, just fucking wonderful.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 Oct 2020, 16:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:We are currently watching Brideshead Revisited and I am shocked at the extent to which I had forgotten how fucking wonderful it is. I mean, just fucking wonderful.

It's magnificent, isn't it.
I don't know how far along you are but to my mind, Claire Bloom plays the epitome of destruction: her character can't help herself but she just does.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 Oct 2020, 19:17

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Oct 2020, 16:49

Samoan wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We are currently watching Brideshead Revisited and I am shocked at the extent to which I had forgotten how fucking wonderful it is. I mean, just fucking wonderful.

It's magnificent, isn't it.
I don't know how far along you are but to my mind, Claire Bloom plays the epitome of destruction: her character can't help herself but she just does.

We just finished it this morning- the final long episode. I was going to comment on your reply earlier, but I haven't read the book and last watched it when I was 11 and I really couldn't remember much about it and was worried about spoilers!

Well Jesus Christ. What a magnificent, rich and sensitive production. There wasn't a thing about it that felt strained, insincere, unbelievable or over the top. I was completely immersed in all of it and watching the last episode this morning was like an anvil on the chest. My heart was pounding!

It's only when the whole series is over that I realised how much of a "listener" Charles is during everything. The whole story is told through the voice of others, and he is almost passive, a witness to his own life as all these events unfurl around him and to him but never initiated by him. The pitch perfect Sebastian, descending the scree slope of alcoholism and on the run from everything. Sebastian's mother- as you say - her palms bleeding constantly with fresh martyrdom.

I don't know how much the book covers Sebastian and Charles' sexual relationship - it just hovers like vapour in the series unlike the Julia rumpy pumpy - so I don't know how true that is to the book. I think the 2008 TV version is more explicit. And Olivier- what a fucking gem. Every breath a study in theatrical wizardry.

I got angry too - angry at the complete indifference Charles had to his wife and kids and angry at the enforced sacrament at the end. Baron has read the book recently and thought the end chapel scene was to do with Charles finally accepting God, but I felt it told more about new life being breathed into the house. I am probably wrong.

The clothes! The wallpaper in the Chinese Drawing Room! The shoes! Oh Lordy. I barely watch any television, but this was a few hours of my life I m perfectly happy never to get back. It was a thrill from start to finish.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Oct 2020, 22:02

slightbreeze wrote:Image

What did you think?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 Oct 2020, 23:42

Seen 5 episodes so far. Extremely well made and acted, with few genuine scary moments. No complaints, although some reviews have been mixed

Return to “Screenadelica”