Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2021, 10:47

Anyone watching The Terror? Very good so far.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 04 Mar 2021, 19:02

I love a good ww2 drama with spies and stuff so I was waiting for this with anticipation.
Supposed to be released next month but searching for a trailer on Youtube I found the entire film.
It was supposed to be in 4k and the quality was surprisingly good. Unfortunately the film wasn’t. Starts off ok then becomes far too simplistic and predictable. The Nazis want to take back their own daughters from a girl’s school in England or they’ll kill them instead. (I hope that’s not too much of a spoiler)
There’s only so far you can suspend your disbelief, even if it is Eddie Izzard.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Mar 2021, 16:56

The Prof wrote:All 6 episodes watched and one thing I will say is that the soundtrack is fantastic. Headless Heroes, Cigarettes After Sex, Skeeter Davis, Lua and ending with Natural’s Not In It by Gang Of Four.

Just watched the first two. Excellent stuff but there are some odd non sequiturs. I sat up when the name Voynitch was mentioned - the Voynitch manuscript is a rare mysterious and highly weird MS beloved of people like HP Lovecraft. I’m not sure what if any relevance it has to the overall narative arc or it was just included to up the weirdness in an episode that already had MK Ultra, operation mindfuck and the LDD!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Mar 2021, 17:21

French series on Channel 4 (Walter Presents) called Torn.
Awful.
I profoundly disagree with every element of this Guardian review
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... andemic-tv
There is nothing enjoyable about it - the characters are all uniformly unlikeable, every single one, and the twists are absurd...and the final twist is a complete rip-off of a very famous movie but grotesquely executed (I won't name the movie because it would of course be a spoiler). It is also a ridiculously and jarringly all-white cast. At least The Undoing, to which the review compares this series, had interesting characters. Leave it to the Scandinavians to do these kinds of series!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Mar 2021, 12:52

I've been waiting with great anticipation for this, the final part in the East Germany trilogy Deutschland 89.
A little slow to get going until the inevitable call goes up to bring on the shredders, many of which are found unsurprisingly to not actually work.

Episode 2 of 8 is tomorrow evening on More 4

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Mar 2021, 17:57

Late to the party but just started watching this

Not too bad.
Give a shit or be a shit.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 11 Mar 2021, 23:43

Geezee wrote:French series on Channel 4 (Walter Presents) called Torn.
Awful.
I profoundly disagree with every element of this Guardian review
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... andemic-tv
There is nothing enjoyable about it - the characters are all uniformly unlikeable, every single one, and the twists are absurd...and the final twist is a complete rip-off of a very famous movie but grotesquely executed (I won't name the movie because it would of course be a spoiler). It is also a ridiculously and jarringly all-white cast. At least The Undoing, to which the review compares this series, had interesting characters. Leave it to the Scandinavians to do these kinds of series!

We just finished it. What's the French for "bag of shite"? Not very often Walter lets you down, but this time he dropped us from a great height

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 13 Mar 2021, 23:02

Never really got into Breaking Bad but it seems like Bryan Cranston is playing the same kind of character. A straight guy who's ended up in a 'situation' that he's trying to make the best of. (not an unusual film storyline). Yeh - it's worth watching.
Now TV and Sky.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 14 Mar 2021, 20:14

We've watched 4 episodes so far, and it's hard work. Was really looking forward to it, but it's cumbersome and lacking any real excitement.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 14:00

Don't bother with The One. The story line is interesting enough but the script and the acting are dreadful.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 14:03

We recently watched and rather enjoyed the last series of Homeland. One interesting point was that there was a sympathetic portrayal of an Afghani suicide bomber who kills a bunch of American soldiers. You don't get that sort of thing in a lot of mainstream programmes.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Mar 2021, 14:20

I haven't a clue which TV programmes or networks many of you are talking about as I just have Freeview, YouTube, I still buy DVDs and a variety of IPlayers (excepting the endless ad breaks on ITV Hub). Much pleasure, no pain, good quality and time to scoot out to make some tea.

Unforgotten (series four), Deutschland 89 and It's a Sin to mention a recent clutch.

I'd also highly recommend this gem - Wild Bill is a 6 part series with Rob Lowe playing American troubleshooting super cop, Bill Hixon and his young daughter Kelsey as they endeavour to assimilate into verdant agricultural Lincolnshire. Terrific drama with injections of humour when the cultures (English, American, Polish and Russian) clash.

Last edited by Samoan on 23 Apr 2021, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 17 Mar 2021, 18:51

On the back of listening to Mark Strong on Desert Island Discs last week, and approx 25 years after it was originally aired, I finally got round to watching all 9 episodes of Our Friends In The North. Binge watched it all in 2 days last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great cast but to me the star of the show was Nicky's dad Felix played by the wonderful Peter Vaughan. What an actor and his portrayal of a man with full blown dementia / alzheimers was stunning and sad in equal measure.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 18 Mar 2021, 12:43

I watch it every few years from beginning to end. Great series.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 14 Apr 2021, 11:51

Started watching Beforeigners last night... great fun!

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 15 Apr 2021, 15:13

Tomahawk Kid wrote:On the back of listening to Mark Strong on Desert Island Discs last week, and approx 25 years after it was originally aired, I finally got round to watching all 9 episodes of Our Friends In The North. Binge watched it all in 2 days last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great cast but to me the star of the show was Nicky's dad Felix played by the wonderful Peter Vaughan. What an actor and his portrayal of a man with full blown dementia / alzheimers was stunning and sad in equal measure.

I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago and I agree with everything you say. Wonderful series.
Bugger off.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Apr 2021, 21:39

"The Falcon and the Winter Soldier"

Just finished up this Marvel series focusing on characters in the extended Captain America sub-universe. Like the previous Captain America movies, the action/fight sequences are first-rate, favoring street-level, well-choreographed brawls rather than super characters flying around and zapping each other. Also like that series, the conflicts arise from real-world or realistic situations, and the villains are complex with understandable motivations. The commentary on racism in America is the most pointed seen in a superhero show since the recent HBO "Watchmen" series. Like "WandaVision," the series introduces elements of the Marvel comic-universe into the MCU that had been previously overlooked in the movies. Like Marvel projects in general, surprising talent has been recruited, as in the casting of Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a "Cigarette Smoking Woman" type-character.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 May 2021, 17:33

Great stuff, highly recommended.
Wild Bill is a 6 part series with Rob Lowe playing American troubleshooting super cop, Bill Hixon and his young daughter Kelsey as they endeavour to integrate into the muddy, cabbage kingdom of Lincolnshire. Terrific drama with injections of humour when cultures (English, American, Polish and Russian) clash.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 02 May 2021, 21:05

I have been bingeing on Montalbano, both old and young, on BBC iplayer. It makes me want to visit Sicily and learn Italian. I have already picked up a few swear words.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 05 May 2021, 16:08

I'm quite enjoying a remake of this on Amazon Prime.
Remake / serialisation either way it's pretty well done.
It is quite low on the 70s detail as it could be set in any year between then and now apart from the rave music.

Return to “Screenadelica”