Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Brickyard Jack

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Oct 2020, 08:54

The Right Stuff, on Disney +.
A tv series based on Tom Wolfe's excellent book about the Mercury Seven, the first US astronauts.
A cracking story.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Oct 2020, 10:21

Cobra Kai

I probably know the original Karate Kid movie better than almost any move from my childhood, or at least on par with Star Wars. The new series is perhaps better than you'd expect, and basically lives and dies with William Zabka, both in terms of providing a different context to the original events of the movie, but also his ongoing rehabilitation in the present day. Ultimately, while the series admirably creates a very new story and breathes new life into various characters, it does lean a bit too heavily on the original movie - constant callbacks and references to scenes from the movie, and you can't help but feel a bit nonplussed by the fact that these guys can't get over things that happened when they were 17 - and are actually getting into fights in their mid-50s (and either beating up teenagers or men in their 70s).

One thing I'll add - there's a pretty strong undercurrent of politics running through the show. The butt of a lot of jokes is about LaRusso's liberal wokes being weak and/or Johnny's prototype republican bullies failing to understand them. Often not very funny. And having reached the end of the second series now, I'd say it was only barely worth it - so much awful acting from the younger bunch, so many ridiculous fights, all building up to a preposterous fight scene in their school whcih actually ends up being quite an incredible finale - even my wife who has complained about watching this series from Day 1 was completely gripped by it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 24 Oct 2020, 13:54

Part way through this pretty decent thriller. I guess it's part of a 'behind enemy lines' genre.

Israeli made but 'set' in Tehran (actually filmed in Athens). I think it's evenly handled but keep questioning it every now and then.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Nov 2020, 02:29

Ratched - prequel of nurse Ratched from one flew over the Cockoos Nest . Only three episodes in but crazy - great cast - Cynthia Nixon, Sarah Paulson, Sharon stone, Judy Davis .

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Nov 2020, 05:53

Hightea wrote:Ratched - prequel of nurse Ratched from one flew over the Cockoos Nest . Only three episodes in but crazy - great cast - Cynthia Nixon, Sarah Paulson, Sharon stone, Judy Davis .

That sounds intriguing.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Nov 2020, 18:37

I'm re-watching Wolf Hall yet again. Magnificent. I'd forgotten how superb Anton Lesser playing Thomas More was...

...and Bernard Hill (Yosser Hughes in Alan Bleasdale's Boys from the Blackstuff) as the Duke of Norfolk -

- View this Sunday on the Drama Channel (Freeview 20) for Boleyn's end of days.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Dec 2020, 16:08

I'd refused to listen to anyone who suggested that the American version of 'The Office" was any good and the appeal of "Arrested Development" had also completely passed me by. I've changed my mind about both - and Arrested Development has given me more laughs than almost anything else I've watched in the past couple of years.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Dec 2020, 19:16

'
Last edited by Samoan on 29 Dec 2020, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 29 Dec 2020, 19:34

Superb German detective programme. individual stories, approx 90 mins each

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Dec 2020, 19:37

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

A bitter-sweet, sad and tragic look at Guernsey in the early 40's under Nazi occupation through the eyes of the members of a book group, cannily formed on the hoof. Don't let the title sway you. They did have to eat a lot of potatoes and only potatoes before liberation in 1945

I've never before delved into the history of what they had to endure which was dire.
(Thank heavens the children had been evacuated to mainland Britain just in time before invasion.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Guernsey

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Dec 2020, 04:05

Finished "Fargo" season 4 (which I enjoyed), and currently watching "The Flight Attendant," Season 5 of "The Expanse" (holy crap!) and the Selena mini-series.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Jan 2021, 11:27

I finally watched the DVD over Christmas: (I'd bought it just before C19 which made it the last kind of TV I wanted to watch).

Stupefying.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Jan 2021, 16:32

I watch Hamilton's Pharmacopeia from time to time, a show about psychedelic drugs that runs on Vice. The new season started recently and last night, while sorting, folding, and hanging laundry, I watched an episode about getting high on toad venom, the quest for the anonymous toad venom tripping guru, and the quest to make a synthetic version so people aren't fucking around with these rather rare toads. There are elements of the show that are a little irritating, but it was a really remarkable episode.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Jan 2021, 19:25

Gripping stuff - all on iPlayer at the moment.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Jan 2021, 18:00

WandaVision (2021)

Caught the first two episodes last night. Very enjoyable. I didn't even like the Avengers movie that introduced these two characters to the MCU because it rushed years of comics continuity into one movie, and then spent seemingly half of its running time on giant cgi fight scenes and explosions. But this series is a charming pastiche of sitcoms from previous decades with some important MCU developments going on in the background which will come to the forefront in later episodes.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 Jan 2021, 15:17

The Prof wrote:Gripping stuff - all on iPlayer at the moment.

Truly excellent. Even more so with it being non fiction

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Feb 2021, 08:44

Recently enjoyed;
Staged
It’s A Sin
The Dig
[indistinct chatter]

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Feb 2021, 10:44

slightbreeze wrote:
The Prof wrote:Gripping stuff - all on iPlayer at the moment.

Truly excellent. Even more so with it being non fiction

We only managed two episodes. So painfully slow and drawn out.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Feb 2021, 13:52

Neil Jung wrote:The Dig

Quite a few negative reviews picking apart the authenticity (of the characters mainly) but I think it told the story in an engaging way.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Feb 2021, 13:58

Not sure what to make of this

It's a credible enough science-fi plot though (after the 1st few episodes) it seems like it's designed to sit in the middle of a Venn diagram of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars and The Terminator.

Return to “Screenadelica”