Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Prof » 23 Nov 2019, 16:26

This is quite good.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2019, 18:04

Geez, I haven't posted a new review on this thread in months, but is no one going to review this?

The Irishman

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody, got that out of the way. So we all sat down dutifully around the TV last night and partook of Scorcese's latest. His first mob movie since The Departed in 2006. I'll not bother with plot summary but I will say that Frank Sheeran's account of offing Jimmy Hoffa, and other Mafia hits are debated fiercely on the internet. There's absolutely no proof that any of this happened folks, And Sheeran himself is no longer around to answer questions. So with that in your head, just keep an open mind when you watch, strap yourself in, get over the CGI-faces which are on display for over half of the film, and you should have no problem enjoying the ride. DeNiro is in almost every scene, Pesci underplays, and Pacino steals almost every moment that he's in. Harvey Keitel is even in a few parts. It's three-and-a-half hours, but I wasn't bored much. Since this is the last time (?) we'll see something like this from these guys, we should be thankful it's around. I'm not going to heap effusive praise on the project like most of the reviews I'm been reading, but I will say I had a good time, and will probably watch it again before Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how the academy reacts next year come nomination (and awards) time. I don't know if I enjoyed it more than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (and I had my issues with that picture as well), but I just saw it, so my thoughts on the two may change once I've seen both of them again.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2019, 18:33

Ford vs Ferrari

I didn't really have any high expectations for this one, but my daughter wanted to see it and so... I like it. Another great Christian Bale performance (I'm not even sure I'd heard him speak with an English accent before), and a solid one from Damon. I didn't know this story, but the Shelby Cobra has been my fave car since I was a boy, so when I knew this project dealt with Carrol Shelby I was jazzed. It has a decent soundtrack too, with cuts from the Byrds, Kingsmen, Sonics, Buck Owens, Link Wray, and others. I don't go the the movies much anymore, so I had a good time.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Nov 2019, 21:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Ford vs Ferrari

I didn't really have any high expectations for this one, but my daughter wanted to see it and so... I like it. Another great Christian Bale performance (I'm not even sure I'd heard him speak with an English accent before), and a solid one from Damon. I didn't know this story, but the Shelby Cobra has been my fave car since I was a boy, so when I knew this project dealt with Carrol Shelby I was jazzed. It has a decent soundtrack too, with cuts from the Byrds, Kingsmen, Sonics, Buck Owens, Link Wray, and others. I don't go the the movies much anymore, so I had a good time.

I thought it was great the race sequences were brilliantly done. Reminiscent of Grand Prix up close to the cars. Bale and Damon were great.

In the UK it's called Le Mans 66
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Nov 2019, 21:56

Matt Wilson wrote:Geez, I haven't posted a new review on this thread in months, but is no one going to review this?

The Irishman

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody, got that out of the way. So we all sat down dutifully around the TV last night and partook of Scorcese's latest. His first mob movie since The Departed in 2006. I'll not bother with plot summary but I will say that Frank Sheeran's account of offing Jimmy Hoffa, and other Mafia hits are debated fiercely on the internet. There's absolutely no proof that any of this happened folks, And Sheeran himself is no longer around to answer questions. So with that in your head, just keep an open mind when you watch, strap yourself in, get over the CGI-faces which are on display for over half of the film, and you should have no problem enjoying the ride. DeNiro is in almost every scene, Pesci underplays, and Pacino steals almost every moment that he's in. Harvey Keitel is even in a few parts. It's three-and-a-half hours, but I wasn't bored much. Since this is the last time (?) we'll see something like this from these guys, we should be thankful it's around. I'm not going to heap effusive praise on the project like most of the reviews I'm been reading, but I will say I had a good time, and will probably watch it again before Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how the academy reacts next year come nomination (and awards) time. I don't know if I enjoyed it more than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (and I had my issues with that picture as well), but I just saw it, so my thoughts on the two may change once I've seen both of them again.

Still got an hour to go, loving it do far. I'm not the biggest Marty fan but this is great.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2019, 22:04

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:
In the UK it's called Le Mans 66

I almost added that in just for you! LOL.

`

Postby ` » 29 Nov 2019, 11:01

An incredible movie - both heartbreaking and heartwarming - about what happened - and is still happening in Syria.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 Nov 2019, 21:21

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Geez, I haven't posted a new review on this thread in months, but is no one going to review this?

The Irishman

Still got an hour to go, loving it do far. I'm not the biggest Marty fan but this is great.

Finished it last night and will watch it again on my big telly when back home. Wonderful performances from every single person in the film. Pesci is extraordinary good, the rest are just magnificent.

Oscars are waiting.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Nov 2019, 18:21

I'm going to watch it today sometme but as it s 3.5 hrs long I haven't decided when.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 11 Dec 2019, 14:41

I was decidedly underwhelmed. It was all just so matter-of-fact and lacking in any real drama. I watched it to the end but when you're aware that it's one persons story and it may not be true I didn't feel in any way engaged with the whole thing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Dec 2019, 17:43

Discovered more comedy on Netflix - Tom Segora is funny as fuck and Norm MacDonald’s stand up is also worth seeking out.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Dec 2019, 18:24

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again last night. Liked it a lot better. I'm probably going to say it was my fave film of 2019.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Dec 2019, 17:05

I'm not sure it's my favorite of the year but it just might be my favorite Tarantino movie.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Dec 2019, 21:29

I don't really see that many modern movies anymore. There's The Irishman, Ford vs Ferrari and uh... I dunno, Parasite? I've seen the end-of-the-year lists and I can't even recall the names right now.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Jan 2020, 20:18

I watched this earlier on BBC2 :

It very nearly makes an appearance those "Top Ten Films" I participate in. Maybe one time it will.

The plot is somewhat 'light' but it is shot so beautifully that that almost makes up for it. It evokes the Swinging Sixties as well as any film of the time. And Whilst Steve McQueen is marvellous Faye Dunaway is, quite frankly, otherwordly. And she can act too!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 05 Jan 2020, 18:29

Freewill or predestination, all in a smashing animation.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Jan 2020, 17:37

Technically brilliant but a bit uninvolving. The nature of the premise doesn't lend itself to investing much in the characters. Better than Dunkirk though.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jan 2020, 12:14

I really enjoyed Booksmart the other week though I was surprised at how ‘teen movie’ it felt, which I didn’t pick up at all from reviews. I also watched the first series of Adie Bryant’s comedy show, the name of which escapes me but which was also totally watchable.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Jan 2020, 02:14

I watched Killing Eve for the first time, and really enjoyed it - also watched a couple of episodes of Crashing, which has some joyous moments of cringing recognition.

Dr Markus wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jan 2020, 18:12

Whilst the sub-Finscher gimmicky direction was something of an unwelcome distraction, this was highly watchable with continual twists and turns to keep you guessing and engaged. Quality commercial genre filmmaking of the type that's quite rare from Hollywood these days.

Return to “Screenadelica”