Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Brickyard Jack

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Aug 2020, 21:11

Apocalypse Now on BBC iplayer.

I went see Onward at the cinema with little dude. It was not bad.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Aug 2020, 08:58

Disobedience (2017)

Fascinating film about a woman returning from New York to her strict Orthodox Jewish home and community in North West London, following her prominent Rabbi father's death. To say she was made welcome would be a massive understatement as she'd long been shunned by them all for her younger errant ways.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Aug 2020, 11:41

The Heiress. Olivia De Havilland and Monty Clift. Fantastic performance from Olivia and great support from Clift and Ralph Richardson.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 30 Aug 2020, 12:57

The Evacuees (1975)

The experiences of two young Jewish boys evacuated from Manchester to Blackpool during the Blitz.
Written by Jack Rosenthal and directed by Alan Parker.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 01 Sep 2020, 12:09

Tenet. It looks great, the story is lighter than an Angel Delight and the whole thing is a miss-mash of crackpot pseudo sci-fi bollocks. I enjoyed the experience but the film is no great shakes. It was good to go the cinema again though. The social distancing works and I've a load of ideas around popcorn administration involving hoovers and gas masks.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 01 Sep 2020, 14:23

Amazon Prime had it down as a 2020 film, in fact it was from 2000.

Remake of the French film, Garde à Vue, apparently and, after following to the very end, it just gave up on itself.

2 great actors in a pile of hogwash.

No explanation as to who actually did it.

Rubbish.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Sep 2020, 14:41

Jumper K wrote:Tenet. It looks great, the story is lighter than an Angel Delight and the whole thing is a miss-mash of crackpot pseudo sci-fi bollocks. I enjoyed the experience but the film is no great shakes. It was good to go the cinema again though. The social distancing works and I've a load of ideas around popcorn administration involving hoovers and gas masks.

Pretty much what I thought. Usual Nolan, emperor's new clothes.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 01 Sep 2020, 18:45

Jimbly wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Tenet. It looks great, the story is lighter than an Angel Delight and the whole thing is a miss-mash of crackpot pseudo sci-fi bollocks. I enjoyed the experience but the film is no great shakes. It was good to go the cinema again though. The social distancing works and I've a load of ideas around popcorn administration involving hoovers and gas masks.

Pretty much what I thought. Usual Nolan, emperor's new clothes.

I agree Jim. I think the only film of his I've watched more than once is Memento, as I thought it was genuinely something different. Although I like Dunkirk.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 01 Sep 2020, 19:39

Samoan wrote:Disobedience (2017)

Fascinating film about a woman returning from New York to her strict Orthodox Jewish home and community in North West London, following her prominent Rabbi father's death. To say she was made welcome would be a massive understatement as she'd long been shunned by them all for her younger errant ways.

That looks alot like
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 Sep 2020, 19:55

Geezee wrote:
Samoan wrote:Disobedience (2017)

That looks alot like

kinda :)

Anyway, it's still available on the Channel 4 hub, 9 days left.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Sep 2020, 04:25

Vivarium (2020)

A young couple looking for their first home are lured to a suburban community, and soon realize that they are alone there and cannot leave. Things get increasingly stranger from there. 'Vivarium' is creepy, has an intriguing premise, and features some striking visuals that stick with you after viewing.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 Oct 2020, 07:56

In the whirlwind of suck in which we live, you can rely on Bill and Ted to warm the cockles. Goofy, warm and with a positive message. Be excellent to each other. Jeez I must be getting old.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 04 Oct 2020, 23:07

Jumper K wrote:Image

In the whirlwind of suck in which we live, you can rely on Bill and Ted to warm the cockles. Goofy, warm and with a positive message. Be excellent to each other. Jeez I must be getting old.

i have a good friend i have known for many years. he was born in '81. very cynical, very sharp, metal freak. i met him when he was 18.

he and his wife loved this movie.

maybe it aint about gettin old.

be excellent to each other.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Oct 2020, 09:58

kath wrote:

i have a good friend i have known for many years. he was born in '81. very cynical, very sharp, metal freak. i met him when he was 18.

Isn't cynicism meant to become more defined as we get older? :lol:

kath

Postby kath » 05 Oct 2020, 14:13

Jumper K wrote:
kath wrote:

oh, i guess it depends. you could also say that as you get older, go through more experience, take yer personal hits... the tendency might be to become more understanding, more empathetic, more likely to appreciate whoever and whatever you have left in life.

of course, tomorrow i could get in the mood for a meteor to wipe out the entire fucquin planet.

consistency is not really my own strong suit.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Oct 2020, 14:24

kath wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
kath wrote:

oh, i guess it depends. you could also say that as you get older, go through more experience, take yer personal hits... the tendency might be to become more understanding, more empathetic, more likely to appreciate whoever and whatever you have left in life.

of course, tomorrow i could get in the mood for a meteor to wipe out the entire fucquin planet.

Yeah! I certainly appreciate what I have in life but its all the others that drain my psychic defences. Working in healthcare and being understanding and empathetic is becoming something that I'm dwelling on increasingly. I wonder if nihilism might be for me :idea:

kath

Postby kath » 05 Oct 2020, 14:37

Jumper K wrote:
kath wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Isn't cynicism meant to become more defined as we get older? :lol:

Yeah! I certainly appreciate what I have in life but its all the others that drain my psychic defences. Working in healthcare and being understanding and empathetic is becoming something that I'm dwelling on increasingly. I wonder if nihilism might be for me :idea:

my sister was an ER doc for 35 years. she retired months ago, but she is still about as bleak as they come. i understand the nihilism.

on the bright side, she's got the sickest sense of gallows humor i've ever seen. she walks around in public crackin the kinda stuff that makes other people around her gape in shock. she does not give a single fucque. whatever sets ya free, mwhaha.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Oct 2020, 19:23

" I am in the business of putting old heads on young shoulders, and all my pupils are the crème de la crème.
Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine for life."

- Stars Maggie Smith in her own prime as an actress. Glorious.

1969 - The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Jan 2021, 20:38

Lord of the Flies (1963) was absolutely extraordinary: what an achievement by all concerned but I found it very disturbing and upsetting. A film that has to be watched as it's a masterpiece, but never again, it's too unsettling.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Apr 2021, 17:27

Soul (2020)

First Pixar flick I've watched in a while. They still seem to be the state of the art in modern mainstream animated movies, both in writing and in the visuals. This one is loaded with interesting ideas, is funny and poignant as you would expect, and greatly surpasses 'La La Land' in conveying the love of jazz music (and music in general).

Captain Marvel (2019)

Watching "WandaVision" made me go back and start watching all the Marvel movies featuring the title characters, since I had basically managed to forget all the pertinent events leading up to that series. On the way I diverted to this one, which I generally found much more enjoyable. Like 'Doctor Strange' and the first 'Guardians of the Galaxy' movie, it's a fun if somewhat lightweight cosmic adventure, with the added bonuses of 90's nostalgia and a message of female empowerment that doesn't beat the viewer over the head (which is nice since the original comic book character was one of the most sadly victimized characters in the Marvel fold). I was already a fan of Brie Larson, and I love her as Carol Danvers.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Screenadelica”