I, Claudius

..and why not?
Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

I, Claudius

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 26 Jan 2024, 19:38

...is on BBC iplayer at the moment. Regarded as a classic series, I remember watching it when it was broadcast back in tge seventies. Watching it again one might say the production is a bit dated - most of the scenes are quite "stagey" and there is little r no location shooting.
But the writing is excelkent for the most part, the storyline is compelling, and the performances - from a parade of past and future stars of screen and cinema - are more or less all excellent.
In particular Brian Blessed is fantastic as Augustus, but then this was before he became a caricature; Sian Phillips superb as Livia, and of course it is Derek Jacbi' s great triumph. But there is so kuch else to it - for example Stratford Johns's cameo as Piso is brilliant . Back in tge 60s and 70s he was everywhere - and who mentions him now?
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

robertff

Re: I, Claudius

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2024, 19:55

Limpin' Jez McKenzie wrote:...is on BBC iplayer at the moment. Regarded as a classic series, I remember watching it when it was broadcast back in tge seventies. Watching it again one might say the production is a bit dated - most of the scenes are quite "stagey" and there is little r no location shooting.
But the writing is excelkent for the most part, the storyline is compelling, and the performances - from a parade of past and future stars of screen and cinema - are more or less all excellent.
In particular Brian Blessed is fantastic as Augustus, but then this was before he became a caricature; Sian Phillips superb as Livia, and of course it is Derek Jacbi' s great triumph. But there is so kuch else to it - for example Stratford Johns's cameo as Piso is brilliant . Back in tge 60s and 70s he was everywhere - and who mentions him now?

Really good series and as you say pretty much dated now. Loved it when it was first aired. Started watching it again a few weeks ago but haven’t managed to continue with it.

There’s a series on Now TV called ‘Domina’ which covers similar territory and is very watchable.

Return to “Screenadelica”