Crime drama series from the Faroe Islands

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Crime drama series from the Faroe Islands

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2022, 22:01

Crime series are a dime a dozen; seems nary a week goes by without a new crime series premiering on one of the streaming sites. But "Trom" from 2021 stands apart because it is a Danish-Faroese co-production. A six-part series for Viaplay, which already has been bought by the BBC. The plot itself takes a backseat to the breathtaking aerial shots of the rocky islands in this archipelago in the North Atlantic. It's a self-governing part of the Kingdom of Denmark that I know little about. They are not part of the EU and they have their own language. In the series, Danish actors speak their lines in Danish, while the Faroese actors speak Faroese. And yes, they really do wear those knit sweaters up there. While there have been a few film productions made in Faroe Islands, "Trom" is the first TV-series to be shot there. It's amazing that they got the project off the ground, with a population of only 50,000 to draw from. That's no bigger than an average county in Denmark. Haven't seen any puffins yet, though...

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Crime drama series from the Faroe Islands

Postby The Prof » 11 Jun 2022, 16:10

I must say the discussion on the thread is rather disappointing.
It's almost as if this programme isn't available to watch anywhere other that Denmark and the Faroe Islands.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Jun 2022, 16:15

Well, the BBC bought it, give it time...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Jul 2022, 23:43

BBC4 July 9th at 9pm

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 10 Sep 2022, 15:58

We watched this on the iPlayer. It's very enjoyable. I wouldn't rank it as high as other Scandi Noir series like The Bridge, Beck, Bordertown or The Killing S1. But the characters are intriguing and they certainly make the most of the stunning Faroe Islands scenery.
That said it is a little disappointing that the uniqueness of the location has very little impact on the narrative in the way, for exakple, Iceland does in Trapped.
I'd happily watch a second season ... although, without giving spoilers, I wonder how likely that will be?

Return to “Screenadelica”