"A Woman is a Woman" (1961)

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"A Woman is a Woman" (1961)

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Apr 2022, 23:23

NOW STREAMING: "A Woman is a Woman" -- (Jean-Luc Godard, 1961) -- Godard's third feature and second released sees him in a playful mode as he mucks about with the artform yet again, this time in a radical deconstruction of the musical comedy. Raoul Coutard's camera is fluid and the colors are as gaudy as the brightest Technicolor musical. Godard was hot shit in 61, but he forgot about plot, character, and feelings in his frivolous and subversive genre exercise. He is too smart for his craft, I mean, 60 years later and we are still having our patience tested as the charm and surprise element wear off and only Karina can hold interest. Obviously this picture is of historical interest, but as Godard shows total disregard for our expectations as viewers, we don't owe him anything - least of all our full attention for 84 minutes. Really it works best in small doses.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Samoan

Re: "A Woman is a Woman" (1961)

Postby Samoan » 29 Apr 2022, 14:12

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: "A Woman is a Woman" (1961)

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Apr 2022, 16:26

??
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Screenadelica”