Reacher [Prime TV]

..and why not?
User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 10201
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Dec 2023, 17:05

Reacher Series 2 now on Prime.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 4239
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Rorschach » 18 Dec 2023, 16:27

Jimbly wrote:I liked Cruise as Reacher. I struggle in the books when the "bad guys" look at Reacher/Brick Shithouse and think bring it on.


Good point. The only reason I can think of is that most of them seem to be extreme psychopaths.
In fact, that's what put me off the books in the end. I mostly enjoyed the first three I read but got a bit squeamish about what I saw as gratuitous sadism by the time I was a quarter of the way through the fourth. I feel like the author is enjoying his descriptions of deeply unpleasant violence somewhat more than is healthy.

Does the TV version have torture porn as well?
Bugger off.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21972
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Jimbly » 19 Dec 2023, 22:04

Rorschach wrote:
Jimbly wrote:I liked Cruise as Reacher. I struggle in the books when the "bad guys" look at Reacher/Brick Shithouse and think bring it on.


Good point. The only reason I can think of is that most of them seem to be extreme psychopaths.
In fact, that's what put me off the books in the end. I mostly enjoyed the first three I read but got a bit squeamish about what I saw as gratuitous sadism by the time I was a quarter of the way through the fourth. I feel like the author is enjoying his descriptions of deeply unpleasant violence somewhat more than is healthy.

Does the TV version have torture porn as well?


If you feel squeamish about the books then you'll feel the same about the TV show.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 4239
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Rorschach » 21 Dec 2023, 19:48

Thanks for that. My wife definitely won't want to watch it.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11492
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Neil Jung » 31 Dec 2023, 18:05

I’m up to date with Season 2. It’s going well. There are some notable changes from the books. Reacher is more than happy killing people with guns on tv whereas in the books he was more likely to just cripple them, but I guess when being shot at kicking someone in the knee isn’t often an option. There are a lot more guns in the tv version. Also in the books he is a reluctant driver but on tv he rates himself quite highly and will even steer when in the passenger seat!
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 10201
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Dec 2023, 19:44

Yeah, I picked up on that too! :lol:

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 81404
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby C » 01 Jan 2024, 17:50

Neil Jung wrote:I’m up to date with Season 2. It’s going well. There are some notable changes from the books. Reacher is more than happy killing people with guns on tv whereas in the books he was more likely to just cripple them, but I guess when being shot at kicking someone in the knee isn’t often an option. There are a lot more guns in the tv version.


As long as the baddies get a good duffin' it's fine by me!



.
.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11492
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby Neil Jung » 13 Jan 2024, 15:34

C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:I’m up to date with Season 2. It’s going well. There are some notable changes from the books. Reacher is more than happy killing people with guns on tv whereas in the books he was more likely to just cripple them, but I guess when being shot at kicking someone in the knee isn’t often an option. There are a lot more guns in the tv version.


As long as the baddies get a good duffin' it's fine by me!

.


In the books he administers a duffin’ as you put it. In the tv series everyone just gets shot. It’s a bit tiresome.
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 13030
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Reacher [Prime TV]

Postby robertff » 13 Jan 2024, 16:07

I have watched both series and whilst it’s entertaining to a minor degree it’s not really that much better than an old Roy Roger’s cowboy film. Completely formulaic, you know he is never going to get harmed, the baddies always get their comeuppance and he is just so dull and wooden, the only acting comes from the support.

As I said, entertaining to a minor degree, give me Jackson Lamb any day and, yes I know that’s formulaic too, but it’s clever.


.


Return to “Screenadelica”