Seinfeld

..and why not?
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Seinfeld

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2021, 01:06

I couldn't find a thread to add to. Probably withered and died.
Seinfeld eh? About a month ago, started watching from the very first series. Jesus wept. It's just superb.
Tonight's episode- where they go to Florida to see Jerry's parents and Jerry gets a pen and blows his capillaries scuba diving- I was crying with laughter.
I don't suppose there is any point asking "any other fans" because history suggests YES and I am decades behind everyone else as usual.
Better late than never though eh?
:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Brickyard Jack

Re: Seinfeld

Postby Brickyard Jack » 31 Dec 2021, 13:24

The whole lot, or at least the vast majority, is or was the Channel 4 version of iplayer, and I watched the lot last year. Like all series, some episodes work and some don't, but for the most part it is really good. My faves I think are the episodes where Kramer runs his apartment as a TV chat show (well, I think it is more than one episode, but maybe not) - really fantastic.

But I want someone (by which I mean Disney +, to which I subscribe, or a free service) to put up all of the Larry Sanders Show.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 Jan 2022, 08:32

Positive Passion wrote:
But I want someone (by which I mean Disney +, to which I subscribe, or a free service) to put up all of the Larry Sanders Show.

Yes!

And is Seinfeld on any platform? I watched half of the first series some years ago and wasn't overly impressed but i'd like to give it another try.
Bugger off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 04 Jan 2022, 10:40

Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Yes!

And is Seinfeld on any platform? I watched half of the first series some years ago and wasn't overly impressed but i'd like to give it another try.

It the UK it is, or was until recently, on Channel 4's streaming service but I expect that doesn't help you.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 04 Jan 2022, 11:01

Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Yes!

It the UK it is, or was until recently, on Channel 4's streaming service but I expect that doesn't help you.

I'm afraid it doesn't. But thanks anyway.
Bugger off.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Jan 2022, 11:30

It's on Netflix.

I basically ignored it when it was the biggest thing in the world - not out of snobbery, but I just wasn't watching much TV at all then. I'm not sure I've ever seen an entire episode. Maybe I'll do some catching up, too.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 04 Jan 2022, 13:01

Charlie O. wrote:It's on Netflix.

I basically ignored it when it was the biggest thing in the world - not out of snobbery, but I just wasn't watching much TV at all then. I'm not sure I've ever seen an entire episode. Maybe I'll do some catching up, too.

I've not seen a compete episode either.
I've watched a handful of YouTube clips (it's no longer on C4 over here) and it's the audience laughter that puts the kibosh on it for me.

I've had sufficient of Frasier too for the same reason but mostly because of the two brothers' screeching, squealing, social climbing and histrionics.
The actor I really admire from the series is John Mahoney. He was very impressive in an episode of Foyle's War called "High Castle" where he plays a nefarious American oil tycoon.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 04 Jan 2022, 18:41

Samoan wrote:
I've had sufficient of Frasier too for the same reason but mostly because of the two brothers' screeching, squealing, social climbing and histrionics.
The actor I really admire from the series is John Mahoney. He was very impressive in an episode of Foyle's War called "High Castle" where he plays a nefarious American oil tycoon.

Frasier is very hit and miss. Some jokes or even episodes are excellent, and sometimes the whole episode is a waste of time. The episode with Patrick Stewart is very good though as I recall. I do like that the callers to the radio show are well-known people.

It is curious seeing actors in bit parts though (as opposed to cameos when they are famous). Jane Leeves crops up in Seinfeld in an episode or two just before Frasier hit the screens, and Megan Mulally turns up in Frasier just before Will and Grace took off. There are others. I think Courteney Cox is in Seinfeld too.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Jan 2022, 14:52

Me too. Also, I was in college when it was at its peak and realized I knew many very close versions of each main character. I felt like I was living in a Seinfeld episode and has no need to spend time actually watching them. But I became increasingly fond of Jerry Seinfeld after watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and felt enough separation from those years in my life that I could maybe dip into Seinfeld and enjoy it from this distance.

And I am. The episodes are hit or miss, but when it’s on, it really works. It also functions as a time capsule, it’s funny to see the clothes and the way of life from that time in my life.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Jan 2022, 16:18

I'm a big fan of sitcoms.
Steinfeld is my favorite sitcom of all time and its not even close. Screw all your UK ones many that I love too.
While Steinfeld aired I was living either in Manhattan or one of the boro's. So I related to the show and the characters all had traits of people we knew or stories of things similar to what happened on the show. We actually went to the Soup guy before Steinfeld made an episode about it. We also at one point had a group of friends that went to either a diner, wine bar or coffee shop and have interesting stories of day to day life in the city.

Plus I've got a little George and a little Jerry in me. Also knew several Kramer types including several bizarre people who we could never figure out how they made money (no job, not a drug dealer, no family money). One guy we were sure was a pimp or male gigolo ended up he was. :o

Can't think of a single episode I don't like although there are some cringe worthy scenes. Curb (Larry David's show goes even further)

Favorites
The Deal, The Hamptons, The Strike, The Library, The Contest, Soup Nazi but every show has a great moment.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Jan 2022, 17:17

Frank Costanza is pure gold.
Highlights - The Manzeer or The Bro ? Elaine dancing and the Soup Nazi

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 05 Jan 2022, 17:34

Mike Boom wrote:Frank Costanza is pure gold.

Yep, Frank is great. Completely amazing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Jan 2022, 21:39

Mike Boom wrote:Frank Costanza is pure gold.
Highlights - The Manzeer or The Bro ? Elaine dancing and the Soup Nazi

Yes the Manzeer another classic.

Yes Frank is pure gold.

You want a piece of me!!

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 06 Jan 2022, 09:58

More or less the same here. I had an evening to myself so I binged about 7 episodes and it was OK. The main characters are all likeable which makes for a pleasant change but I didn't find it that funny.

der Freiherr wrote:It also functions as a time capsule, it’s funny to see the clothes and the way of life from that time in my life.

This I definitely felt.I particularly thought that the constant assumption of heterosexuality seemed outdated. Or maybe that's just me. My son and his friends are somewhat more 'open minded' about such matters than people were in my youth and that may affect the way I see things.
Bugger off.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jan 2022, 01:35

Loved it when it originally aired. With most sitcoms, the older they are to me, the less interest I have in revisiting them. However, I don't mind when a "Seinfeld" rerun pops up late night on a local station.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Screenadelica”