Shinebox

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Shinebox

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Mar 2020, 19:53

Frank Vincent specialized in gangster roles and gave us the immortal line in "Goodfellas": "Now go home and get your fucking shinebox." The taunt prompted the Joe Pesci character it was aimed at to blow his lid and we all know what happened after that. This most intense scene has gone down in history and made Goodfellas a cult film, topping Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Movies of the Nineties list. Back in 1990, in the premiere run, I sat through the film twice in a row, the only time I have ever done that for a premiere film. I may even have had to buy another ticket at full price. I simply couldn't let go of that film.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Shinebox

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Apr 2020, 22:22

Yep, Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas had that kind of effect on me then. I think I'm too old for any movie to make that kind of impression on me now.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Shinebox

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Apr 2020, 23:50

Matt Wilson wrote:Yep, Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas had that kind of effect on me then. I think I'm too old for any movie to make that kind of impression on me now.

That might be the case for me, too. These days I am just happy if I can stay awake - for any film. Pulp Fiction was quite electrifying, but I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs even more.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Screenadelica”