RIP June Whitfield

..and why not?
Rayge

RIP June Whitfield

Postby Rayge » 29 Dec 2018, 22:49

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... es-aged-93

Again, someone who probably does not mean much to anyone outside of the UK, or as much to those who only cottoned on to her with AbFab, but for those who, like me, remember Take it from Here and the radio comedy of the 1950s, as well as all those sitcom on TV, cosy or otherwise, her name on the cast list generally guaranteed quality. She helped me, not to mention millions of others, laugh, on and off, for half a century, and it's odd to think of a world without her in it.
RIP June
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: RIP June Whitfield

Postby naughty boy » 30 Dec 2018, 09:43

I probably first saw her in Terry and June in the 80s, which was absolutely hated by most people my age at the time - but with hindsight I think she was the best thing about the show. Much like Pauline Yates in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, she worked as a kind of ever-present, always gentle domestic foil to the antics of the silly central character. Subtle and charming.

And I saw her most recently in the usual Christmas repeat of Carry On Girls, which is one of my favourites from that series. Kenneth Connor as the town's mayor is the absolute star, and June plays his adversary, the "feminist councillor Augusta Prodworthy" wonderfully.

In several tributes I've read since her passing, I've seen mention of the 'twinkle in her eye'. That much is always evident, I think. A career in TV and film comedy is about as honourable a profession as I can think of, she did it for many decades, and she did it very well.

RIP June.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Screenadelica”