They Shall Not Grow Old

..and why not?
Nuts

Re: They Shall Not Grow Old

Postby Nuts » 13 Nov 2018, 08:54

"A growing aspect of WW1 history is that we were right to fight the Germans"
Certainly not with anyone I've ever met, more the complete opposite.

"but there is growing evidence to suggest that the overriding sentiment of WW1 being an absolute hellhole for everyone concerned doesn't ring true anymore"
Did you watch a different film to me?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Nov 2018, 22:16

Nuts wrote:"A growing aspect of WW1 history is that we were right to fight the Germans"
Certainly not with anyone I've ever met, more the complete opposite.

Anecdotal evidence isn't the same as historical analysis I'm afraid.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Nov 2018, 22:21

Nuts wrote:
"but there is growing evidence to suggest that the overriding sentiment of WW1 being an absolute hellhole for everyone concerned doesn't ring true anymore"
Did you watch a different film to me?

This film was limited in its historical scope. It was intense, but the range of sentiments given can only be a tiny section of how many men experienced it.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 14 Nov 2018, 10:31

I'm confused, why when you give an opinion it's "historical analysis" yet when I give my opinion it's just "anecdotal"?
Where is your evidence that people now believe that we were right to send millions of people to slaughter, and where is your evidence that people also now believe that it wasn't too bad in the trenches?
Sounds like pony to me.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Return to “Screenadelica”