The Prisoner

..and why not?
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: The Prisoner

Postby LMG » 23 Mar 2021, 11:12

I saw Michael Billington's name in the credits of 'A Change Of Mind' and had to rewind for a looksee. He was one of the two toughs in the forest who tackle Number 6 during his workout. What was fascinating watching them fight was that both actors were considered for the role of James Bond at different times. McGoohan turned it down, and Billington ended up playing the part of Barbara Bach's lover who gets killed by Bond at the beginning of The Spy Who Loved Me, and was under consideration to fill Roger Moore's shoes had he taken an early (well, earlier) bath prior to A View To A Kill.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 23 Mar 2021, 13:03

Yes - I need to watch the series again too

I loved Patrick McGoohan [In Columbo also]

When I was at university back in the early 70s there was a guy below me who was a massive Prisoner fan who used to dress like Number Six.

Anyway, he was such a fan. that he bought a video recorder just to record and be able to rewatch the Prisoner episodes.

That doesn't sound much of a story but back then video machines were as rare as hen's teeth and extremely expensive.

He paid £750 which apparently is equivalent to £5,464.98 now....!

Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 25 Mar 2021, 13:50

C wrote:Yes - I need to watch the series again too

I loved Patrick McGoohan [In Columbo also]

Peter Falk and McGoohan were great friends, and the latter played the murderer four times on Columbo, a record. He also produced, wrote, and directed episodes of the series.

An article in Variety when Falk died revealed that:

"Falk told me a funny story about having to cajole the stubborn McGoohan to sign the paperwork necessary to submit himself for an Emmy Award for his acting work in Columbo. Whatever Falk did, it worked, because McGoohan won two Emmys for the show."
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Return to “Screenadelica”