Delia Derbyshire: The Myths And The Legendary Tapes

Fab!
Available on BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w6tr
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jumper K

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jumper K » 04 Jun 2021, 09:13

I was really looking forward to this, I'm doing a lot of reading around the BPP and the movement at present. Great central performances, gripping narrative and conveys really well the moral ambiguity at the centre of the story. But I think its flawed in that it doesn't give enough countenance to the reasons Hampton was such a threat, or explore in any detail his personal ideology and philosophy. As an exploration of the relationship between Hampton and O'Neal its really good.
As one critic put it 'too much Judas and not enough Messiah'
Ulitimately depressing as nothing really has changed.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2021, 13:11

Finally got round to Trainspotting 2.
I thought it was a commendable failure. It's main problem was that it couldn't find a good reason to bring these characters back together again and this left a lack of purpose and an empty heart at the centre of the film that Boyle's hyper-stylism couldn't disguise. Some great moments though and it was good to see the actors inhabit those roles again. I guess you could call it an entertaining exercise in nostalgia, just a shame it wasn't more than that.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 15:52

The Modernist wrote:Finally got round to Trainspotting 2.
I thought it was a commendable failure. It's main problem was that it couldn't find a good reason to bring these characters back together again and this left a lack of purpose and an empty heart at the centre of the film that Boyle's hyper-stylism couldn't disguise. Some great moments though and it was good to see the actors inhabit those roles again. I guess you could call it an entertaining exercise in nostalgia, just a shame it wasn't more than that.

I may be misremembering (again) but I found the reasoning behind them coming back into each other's orbits was believable.

I agree with your last sentence anyway, but more because it lacked the hardness and the horror of the original.
Bugger off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2021, 16:08

Rorschach wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Finally got round to Trainspotting 2.

I may be misremembering (again) but I found the reasoning behind them coming back into each other's orbits was believable.

I agree with your last sentence anyway, but more because it lacked the hardness and the horror of the original.

It seemed more like a slightly clumsy plot device (broken marriage) to get him there and it was even unclearer why he would've stayed ( is he really going to stay to help sick boy run a brothel in Leith?). I am generally forgiving of that kind of thing ( the plot is just a device to help you explore more interesting things as far as I'm concerned), but in this case it seemed reflective of a deeper problem that the film didn't really have anything to say and wasn't that sure what to do with its characters other than sink into a nostalgic self-referentiality.
Still there were some great sequences, like the improvised anti-Catholic song!

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 16:12

You're probably right. You've seen it a lot more recently than me and it wan't the kind of film to stick in the memory like the first one. But I thought he was sticking around because he was homesick?
Maybe I'm making that up...

I agree that the film didn't have a lot to say.
Bugger off.