BCB 100 - Bob Marley

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Bob Marley

Postby geoffcowgill » 29 Aug 2006, 00:57

A little tends to go a fairly long way with me and reggae, so I'm not a huge fan. He's an aritst that always sounds nice on a compilation, but I don't listen to him a great deal. But Natty Dread is a very solid album. It's a very nice balance of relaxingly bouncy fun music and some pretty visceral social protest, rarely venturing into the cloying sentiment that occasionally seems to mark Marley's work.

Favorite Album - Natty Dread

Favorite Song - "Small Axe" (I love the casual pleasantness with which Marley proclaims violent insurrection, "sharp and ready") -- honorable mention goes to "Coming In From The Cold", "Lively Up Yourself", "No Woman No Cry", and "Misty Morning"

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 29 Aug 2006, 01:26

favourite lines

one good thing about music
when it hits you feel no pain
king of the divan

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 29 Aug 2006, 01:45

I think if I'm totally honest, my favourite record by him is actually Live! 1975, as you can really feel the sheer joy of both the audience and band members alike, it's an utter celebration right from the introduction ("This is a trenchtown experience..."). Also, it features the definitive versions of "No Woman, No Cry" ( a version so beautifully langrous it threatens to turn into "Whiter Shade of Pale" at any minute) or Trenchtown Rock. Did they ever write a more direct celebration/affirmation of music's power than that couplet that mentalist quoted. And it's true for that song, when it hits the spot, it's a delight. Of their LPs, I'd go for Catchafire and Burnin'.

Both represent different sides of the Wailers' arrival, one developed for a more commercial Western audience (purists might scoff, but I think sounds wonderful, Blackwell's production on "Concrete Jungle" is a dream), the other their best studio roots record. Not just in the viteraputative title track, but in "Small Axe" ('sharpened to cut you down") or the strident "Duppy Conquer." It's interesting hearing the original Perry productions over the studio work (I feel the Perry stuff gives it more bite, actually), but they're still very excellent LPs in their own right and wonderfully coherent as statements of intent.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Exodus- the production is a bit sterile compared to earlier efforts, though there are a few good songs on it.

Not my favourite Jamaican singer, but you can't deny the material.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 29 Aug 2006, 01:52

The live DVD from the Rainbow is probably my most favourite Marley.
king of the divan

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB 100 - Bob Marley

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Aug 2006, 01:57

Favorite Album - Catch a Fire

Favorite Song - No Woman, No Cry
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jeff K
The Original K

Re: BCB 100 - Bob Marley

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2006, 02:02

toomanyhatz wrote:Favorite Album - Catch a Fire

Favorite Song - No Woman, No Cry

My choices also.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 29 Aug 2006, 04:00

Unfortunately, Bob Marley is one of those artists that, as a result of the sheer ubiquity of his music and image, makes it hard sometimes for people to really hear him for what he actually is (myself included) - a major, major artist. Like so much Motown, if I don't hear 'One Love' or 'No Woman, No Cry' for the next few years, my life wouldn't suffer.

From the early, Impressions-influenced work with the Wailers to 'Redemption Song,' Marley had reams of great material. While it's true that most of his classics were written before he became an international star, the definitive versions (for the most part) were recorded during his ascent, and Marley is every bit as deserving of his legendary status as is accorded to him.

Album: Catch A Fire
Song: 'Slave Driver'
Wu-Tang Clan's Rza, on his non-rap influences: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes...all them niggas!"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Aug 2006, 07:31

bixhenry wrote:Unfortunately, Bob Marley is one of those artists that, as a result of the sheer ubiquity of his music and image, makes it hard sometimes for people to really hear him for what he actually is (myself included) - a major, major artist. Like so much Motown, if I don't hear 'One Love' or 'No Woman, No Cry' for the next few years, my life wouldn't suffer.

From the early, Impressions-influenced work with the Wailers to 'Redemption Song,' Marley had reams of great material. While it's true that most of his classics were written before he became an international star, the definitive versions (for the most part) were recorded during his ascent, and Marley is every bit as deserving of his legendary status as is accorded to him.

Album: Catch A Fire
Song: 'Slave Driver'

Good choices, as I just got best of the Upsetter sessions. These are my favorites too. The harmonies in Slave Driver do it for me.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 29 Aug 2006, 07:53

bixhenry wrote: While it's true that most of his classics were written before he became an international star, the definitive versions (for the most part) were recorded during his ascent, and Marley is every bit as deserving of his legendary status as is accorded to him.
'

Nice summary, but I liked the point that the versions recorded during his ascent were usually the best takes on the song. For all the claims of cultural impersionalism or shameless crossover ambition, the Blackwell-mixed Catch A Fire manages to open the songs up markedly well, sure it's by no means the same fiery group that recorded some of the material for Perry a couple of years previous, but it's often more harmonious, more generous to the ear, with the melodic aspects really fleshed out. A great vocal performance on "Concrete Jungle" and "Slave Driver," too- impassioned, indignant and perhaps even retributative, despite the superficial nicities.

The best take on "Kinky Reggae" I've heard (and admittedly I havent heard many) would still be the Live! 1975, partly it's the crowd atmosphere, but also it's a band at the peak of their powers, playing for the newly converted and celebrating their good luck and good will. Perhaps, as you say, he suffers from being overplayed, but the good stuff is worth it.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 29 Aug 2006, 16:21

The only Marley album I own is Legend, a copy of which was included in my University acceptance package. But, my favourite song by him is "I Shot the Sherriff" as it is an example of what a good storyteller he was. It's a tune that refers to the Old West of American culture, but implies the violence that is so much a part of life in the Caribbean.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 29 Aug 2006, 16:33

Album: Live!
Song: Blackman Redemption
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Aug 2006, 18:08

I don't actually own any albums but still seem to know pretty much every song he ever did, a couple of my uni housemates were obsessive fans. The only other pre-1990s music they liked was Pink Floyd though so make of that what you will.

Favourite song: Could You Be Loved
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Aug 2006, 18:24

Kinda surprised no one has chosen Redemption Song.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 29 Aug 2006, 19:27

sloopjohnc wrote:Kinda surprised no one has chosen Redemption Song.

I'm not. It's a good song, but it's held at ransom by earnest hippie student guitar players around campfires the world over.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Aug 2006, 20:18

Like the Right Graduate Profile, I have to say it would be a live one. Live 74 and Babylon by Bus are both incredible albums. I love the studio stuff too, don't get me wrong. It's the sheer excitement and Marley's ability to make you hear and feel his charisma without actually being there that does it for me. After that it would be Natty Dread.

Album Live 75
Song No Woman No Cry
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

&

Postby & » 29 Aug 2006, 20:23

Album: Catch A Fire (the Jamaican version, if we're making the distinction)
Song: High Tide Low Tide

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 29 Aug 2006, 20:57

Album Live
Studio Album Catch a Fire
Song Trenchtown Rock

Gater05

Postby Gater05 » 30 Aug 2006, 02:19

Album "Live"

Song- Burnin' and Lootin'
what ought to be ought not to be so hard

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 30 Aug 2006, 20:31

Album Catch A Fire
Song "Trenchtown Rock"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Return to “BCB 100”