BCB 100 - X

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jul 2006, 22:32

X on Late Night With David Letterman,ca. the fourth album (a somewhat restrained performance for them, but still brilliant).

I'm really kinda puzzled that they didn't make a splash in England. Maybe they didn't tour there enough.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Jul 2006, 22:38

Charlie O. wrote:X on Late Night With David Letterman,ca. the fourth album (a somewhat restrained performance for them, but still brilliant).

I'm really kinda puzzled that they didn't make a splash in England. Maybe they didn't tour there enough.

Nah. It's because they weren't very good.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jul 2006, 22:42

Oh. Okay. Thanks for setting the world straight on that.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jul 2006, 23:07

:lol:

lemon

Postby lemon » 05 Jul 2006, 23:09

I have a crappy copy of Los Angeles on mp3, that's all I've heard. I like it quite a lot, but get the feeling I might enjoy one of their other albums more. It seems to be lacking something.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Jul 2006, 23:13

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Well it apears to me that the BCB 100 has nothing to do with the "100 best acts ever" - otherwise ats like Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Harry Nilsson, Howlin' Wolf, Merle Haggard and Randy Newman would be in and Pulp, Pavement, Radiohead, the Stone Roses and others would be out.

Well it's all subjective of course, but it's a bizarre universe that sees Harry Nilsson as better than The Stone Roses. You obviously have a preference for earnest, middle-aged , rather dull country tinged singer-songwriters and that's fine, but don't pretend there's any qualitive objectivity in this.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Jul 2006, 23:14

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Well it apears to me that the BCB 100 has nothing to do with the "100 best acts ever" - otherwise ats like Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Harry Nilsson, Howlin' Wolf, Merle Haggard and Randy Newman would be in and Pulp, Pavement, Radiohead, the Stone Roses and others would be out.

Well it's all subjective of course, but it's a bizarre universe that sees Harry Nilsson as better than The Stone Roses. You obviously have a preference for earnest, middle-aged , rather dull country tinged singer-songwriters and that's fine, but don't pretend there's any qualitive objectivity in this.

That's a bit unfair G. The song from Midnight Cowboy is quite nice.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jul 2006, 23:15

lemon wrote:I have a crappy copy of Los Angeles on mp3, that's all I've heard. I like it quite a lot, but get the feeling I might enjoy one of their other albums more. It seems to be lacking something.

For what it's worth, I prefer Wild Gift, Under The Big Black Sun, and More Fun In The New World to Los Angeles. Not that I dislike the latter; but I don't know if I would like it as much as I do if I hadn't heard the others.

Incidentally, this thread has made me realize that each of the big four has one song, and only one song, that I dislike. That's kinda weird.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Jul 2006, 23:18

The Unique Modernist! wrote:... earnest, middle-aged , rather dull country tinged singer-songwriters...

Your description strongly suggests that you haven't heard more than two or three Nilsson songs... two of which he didn't write.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Jul 2006, 23:19

For what it's worth I remember hearing "White Girl" (which didn't sound at all punk from what I remember so I take it this was their bid for commercial success?) quite a bit on UK radio and quite liking it. I don't remember hearing anything else by them though.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Jul 2006, 23:25

Charlie O. wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:... earnest, middle-aged , rather dull country tinged singer-songwriters...

Your description strongly suggests that you haven't heard more than two or three Nilsson songs... two of which he didn't write.

Whatever..I'm not attacking Nilsson particularly, merely pointing out Davey's list of great artists came from a relatively narrow spectrum and you could legitimately replace them with a bunch of artists (such as the ones he quoted) that came from a quite different end of the pop spectrum.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Jul 2006, 23:46

Jeff K wrote:That settles it then. X are the Dick Van Dyke of rock n' roll.

Do they sing in cock-er-nee?

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 06 Jul 2006, 01:52

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Pop Pup wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
Pop Pup wrote:How the fuck did they get in the 100?!

Maybe because they're good?

One of the 100 best acts ever? No way!

Well it apears to me that the BCB 100 has nothing to do with the "100 best acts ever" - otherwise ats like Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Harry Nilsson, Howlin' Wolf, Merle Haggard and Randy Newman would be in and Pulp, Pavement, Radiohead, the Stone Roses and others would be out. As I understand it, the BC 100 is a list reflecting the (arguably questionable) taste of this community as a whole.

That's exactly what my goal was. It's not meant to be a canon, just a reflection of what we get excited about here. As it turns out, the list ends up being largely my blind stab at gauging the community's interests liberally spiced with my subconsious subjectivity. If you punks would have taken things more seriously when the initial thread was tossed out there, I'm sure the final list would have turned out quite differently.

I think it would be a nice thing to do every summer with a different curator. Hell, we keep talking about the same things on here anyway, don't we?

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 06 Jul 2006, 02:01

Under the Big Black Sun

"The Hungry Wolf"

You all may recognize John Doe from film. He's done quite a few acting roles.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

geoffcowgill

Postby geoffcowgill » 06 Jul 2006, 02:24

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
"The Hungry Wolf"

Another great one.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Jul 2006, 02:45

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

Whatever..I'm not attacking Nilsson particularly, merely pointing out Davey's list of great artists came from a relatively narrow spectrum and you could legitimately replace them with a bunch of artists (such as the ones he quoted) that came from a quite different end of the pop spectrum.

My list was a reaction to the BCB100, which in my opinion, ignored several great artists from that "relatively narrow spectrum" in favor of what I would consider to be demostrably lesser artists from an equally narrow spectrum - are Pulp, Radiohead, The Stone Roses and Pavement really a more diverse sampling than Nilsson, Wolf, Charles, Newman, Haggard and Orbison? I think it is possible to be too democratic about these things. Greatness is not distributed equally across the entire spectrum of music.

BTW - On my planet the Stone Roses can't carry Harry Nilsson's jock. Nilsson's one of the greats in my opinion. He belongs on the Mount Rushmore of pop.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 06 Jul 2006, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 06 Jul 2006, 02:46

I'd swear I'd seen him in a hundred different things, but besides maybe Boogie Nights, I haven't seen his other movies like Road House, Great Balls of Fire, Wyatt Earp, Sugar Town, Torque or The Rage: Carrie 2. Perhaps I saw him on ER, Law and Order, CSI: Miami or Party of Five.

Or perhaps on Veronica's Closet. :oops:
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 06 Jul 2006, 02:46

Album- More Fun In The New World

Song- "The New World" which features one of the best opening couplets ever:
"Honest to goodness the bars weren't open this morning/ they must have been out voting for a new president or something"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

geoffcowgill

Postby geoffcowgill » 06 Jul 2006, 02:48

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Image

I'd swear I'd seen him in a hundred different things, but besides maybe Boogie Nights, I haven't seen his other movies like Road House, Great Balls of Fire, Wyatt Earp, Sugar Town, Torque or The Rage: Carrie 2. Perhaps I saw him on ER, Law and Order, CSI: Miami or Party of Five.

Or perhaps on Veronica's Closet. :oops:

You must have been confusing John Doe for every Tom, Dick and Harry you've seen in a movie.

This Here Dream Machine

Postby This Here Dream Machine » 06 Jul 2006, 03:40

Pop Pup wrote:Look - it really doesn't matter at all and I'm interested to read about the band but having them in this representative list of 100 artists is like people discussing Martin Millar alongside Shakespeare, Milton, Dickens, Jane Austen, Hemingway and Capote..

Gadzooks, man! Capote? I mean, surely you could've rounded that list off with someone more worthy of the bracket? Joyce, Kafka, Calvino. Capote??

X. Great band. Way better than Pulp, Radiohead or--for that matter--Nick Cave. No disrespect intended.

Album: Wild Gift

Song: Los Angeles.
"First Sex Pistols song I ever heard? I guess 'Hot Cars'..."

Return to “BCB 100”