BCB 100 - The Who

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - The Who

Postby geoffcowgill » 30 Jun 2006, 17:45

The sonic force of Townshend/Entwistle/Moon tearing into a tune just exemplifies rock music to me. Though there are better bands because of songwriting or singing, The Who are my favorite collective of primal rock musicians. The raw majesty is best highlighted on Live at Leeds, my favorite album of theirs. Townshend's work on "Shakin' All Over" is probably my favorite recording of rock guitar.

Favorite Album - Live At Leeds

Favorite Song
- "Baba O'Reilly"

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 30 Jun 2006, 17:50

Album - "Live At Leeds" - the original 6 track one. I've not heard the extended version, nor the super-deluxe one .

Song - "Won't Get Fooled Again". Perhaps not an original choice, but fuck it.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Johnny Fartpants

Re: BCB 100 - The Who

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 30 Jun 2006, 17:50

Possibly the best rhythm section of all time in terms of their individual ability. I'm not their biggest fan, but I recognise their talent as musicians. They should have packed in when Moony died.

Favourite tracks - I Can't Explain, Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Reilly.

sensi

Postby sensi » 30 Jun 2006, 17:51

Clippernolan wrote:Album - "Live At Leeds" - the original 6 track one. I've not heard the extended version, nor the super-deluxe one .

Song - "Won't Get Fooled Again". Perhaps not an original choice, but fuck it.

My choice completely...on both counts

Jock

Postby Jock » 30 Jun 2006, 17:56

Favorite Album - Quadrophenia

Favorite Song - The Seeker

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 30 Jun 2006, 18:01

Favorite album: The Who Sell Out (the first album I ever bought with my own money)

Favorite song: So many. But if I could only choose one, probably "I Can't Explain".
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 30 Jun 2006, 18:03

Album: Quadrophenia

Song: Either Join Together or the Kids Are Alright

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 30 Jun 2006, 18:39

Am I the only person who's not particularly bothered one way or t'other about 'Live At Leeds'? I've never seen the fuss.

Track: Substitute
Album: Quadrophenia

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 30 Jun 2006, 18:42

Oscar wrote:Am I the only person who's not particularly bothered one way or t'other about 'Live At Leeds'? I've never seen the fuss.

It certainly has it's moments, but I much prefer the Live At the Isle of Wight set from 1970. The version of 'Water' on there is incredible.

That reminds me, maybe 'Water' is my favorite Who song. :?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Jun 2006, 18:51

I suppose there can be said to be a few different Whos- the pilled-up aggressive mod band, the sonically adventurous psychedelic model, the lyrically adventurous "big statement" model, the jaded progressive model of the late 70s, and finally the tired oldies act they are today. Up until about '75, I like it all. And certainly, even those who hate some of the choices he made- Who's Next haters are already gathering in the corner with sticks at any given time- have to admit Townshend had the smarts to back it all up- a talented lyricist and musician, and the only person I can think of to come up with two successful rock operas (I think we can ultimately call Lifehouse a failure, though I like the songs).

Album - Who Sell Out. Though I have a soft spot for Who By Numbers as it's such an odd record. Barely 30, Townshend is already facing mortality and jadedness in songs like "Slip Kid" and "However Much I Booze," while Entwistle celebrates the same rock and roll lifestyle that Townshend makes sound utterly joyless.

Song - Too many to pick from. A few possibilities- Rael, Pictures of Lily, Slip Kid, 5:15, I Can See For Miles.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

brilleaux

Postby brilleaux » 30 Jun 2006, 18:58

Fave track: "Won't Get Fooled Again"
"I am a dull and simple lad. Cannot tell water from champagne."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Jun 2006, 19:03

Oscar wrote:Am I the only person who's not particularly bothered one way or t'other about 'Live At Leeds'? I've never seen the fuss.

I always thought it was alright, but always far preferred their studio output. Lately, though, I have newfound respect for the interplay on "Young Man Blues" and especially the long "My Generation" medley. This is what the live Who was best at, in my opinion. Everybody's playing flat-out but then, within that, you hear the whole band almost breathing together. Then that fizzles out and Townshend improvises a new theme, then the others join in and give that a beating. In its way, the "My Generation" medley thing is almost like jazz. No one really knew what was going to happen, including the band. So any great moments were truly magical, not just a band doing its job well. That's the kind of thing The Who in their prime offered that too few others were able to. And they could have been even better if they had turned down just a little. I think the quest for ever-more-earthshattering waves of sound killed some of the subtlety.

In the studio, they were totally different. Generally more reserved, well-structured, melodic. And lots of singing. Even though none of them were world-class singers, they managed to get everybody to sing and produce some interesting and unusually varied (for rock) results. Roger and Pete alternating on "Baba O'Riley" and "Long Live Rock". Pete singing lead on some songs. Keith singing "Armenia City in the Sky" with Roger backing him up. Everybody (I think) singing different parts of "Jaguar". Lots of harmonies. John's weird voices. (When he's singing straight, John has possibly my favorite voice of the four of them. I love his singing on his first couple solo albums.)

Anyway, it's too hard to know what to say about them here. I could and should write a book about them. They have been important to me for a long time, and so have a lot of things I could say. This must be what a long-term marriage is like. They make me happy, they disappoint me, then I go through phases of forgetting about them. But given the chance, I can think, write, theorize endlessly about them.

Albums: The first three, and Quadrophenia.
Songs: "When I Was a Boy", "Jaguar", "Sparks", "Rael", "Glow Girl", "Join Together".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

B

Postby B » 30 Jun 2006, 19:10

I'm just a casual fan. I really only like one album.

Album: Who Sell Out

Song: Not sure. Probably an early single.

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 30 Jun 2006, 19:15

Quaco wrote:But given the chance, I can think, write, theorize endlessly about them.

Yeah, but did you check out the link from the university (and links from that) on the recent 'Live at Leeds' recent gig thingy whatsit? It's got (or should still have) interviews with Daltrey and Townshend, and footage and do-dah wotsnames (I'm tired, OK)

Oh I tell you what, here it is again. Check out the Newsnight report/interviews.

Like I'm interested :roll:

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 30 Jun 2006, 19:25

Quaco wrote:

I always thought it was alright, but always far preferred their studio output. Lately, though, I have newfound respect for the interplay on "Young Man Blues" and especially the long "My Generation" medley.
I'll play both tracks ..... now!

NMB

Postby NMB » 30 Jun 2006, 19:39

Can I choose everything they ever did?

But if not:

Album: The Who Sell Out

Song: Dogs (seriously!)
turn on, tune in, nod off

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Jun 2006, 19:44

Haretic wrote:
Quaco wrote:But given the chance, I can think, write, theorize endlessly about them.

Yeah, but did you check out the link from the university (and links from that) on the recent 'Live at Leeds' recent gig thingy whatsit? It's got (or should still have) interviews with Daltrey and Townshend, and footage and do-dah wotsnames (I'm tired, OK)

Oh I tell you what, here it is again. Check out the Newsnight report/interviews.

Like I'm interested :roll:

I'm finally looking at it all now. Thank you for persevering.

This is a great picture:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 30 Jun 2006, 20:06

Track,,, blue red and grey

album quadrophenia
You don't like me...do you?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Jun 2006, 21:08

Me neither. I think it's a lot to do with the song selection. I can never get too excited about 'Young Man Blues', 'Fortune Teller', and 'Heaven and Hell'.

And I was enormously disappointed, coming to it after the Stooges and the Velvets - I was expecting all kinds of loud, raw, primal thumping. But they're too proficient, and the songs twist and turn too much.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Jun 2006, 21:24

Album: Live at Leeds

Song: Can't Explain, I guess. Tough choice, this one.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “BCB 100”