BCB 100 - Van Morrison

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 27 Jun 2006, 09:43

Tactful Cactus wrote:
The Slider wrote:But I won't fork out for him again - just like I won't for Dylan or anyone else that shows that level of contempt for people paying £50 a shot.

And didnt he do a club gig recently, charing something like £150 a pop?
Even more of a reason to despise him.

I don´t think he´s the one who decides the ticket prices. A business man wants him to perform in his club, he makes the negotiations, he makes some numbers, and then decides how much he needs to charge in order to recover the money.

He´s a grumpy old bastard sometimes, but I don´t think we have to blame him for everything.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 27 Jun 2006, 09:44

He is short, fat and ginger - any other reasons are superfluous.

It also explains why he is so miserable in life. Wouldn't you be?
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 27 Jun 2006, 09:45

Captain Spaulding wrote:
I don´t think he´s the one who decides the ticket prices. A business man wants him to perform in his club, he makes the negotiations, he makes some numbers, and then decides how much he needs to charge in order to recover the money.

He´s a grumpy old bastard sometimes, but I don´t think we have to blame him for everything.

What would Joe Strummer have said?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Jun 2006, 09:51

Captain Spaulding wrote:.....but I don´t think we have to blame him ....

I got into an argument about this the last time, so I'm staying quiet.
Just to say, I disagree.

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 27 Jun 2006, 10:07

The Slider wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:

strummer would(and has) said nothing of import.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 27 Jun 2006, 10:08

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:.....but I don´t think we have to blame him ....

I got into an argument about this the last time, so I'm staying quiet.
Just to say, I disagree.

Still, let´s assume it´s him saying "let´s get all the money I can from those silly snobs who still want to see me farting and blowing my sax on a stage", I couldn´t care less about it.

Sure, I´d like him to be the nicest man ever, and to have him calling me to invite me to spend a couple of days with my family at Disneyland, but if he isn´t I´m still bound to get emotional everytime I hear "Into the mystic" or "Sometimes we cry"

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 27 Jun 2006, 10:11

frimleygreener wrote:
The Slider wrote:

strummer would(and has) said nothing of import.

Kindred spirits, eh?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Jun 2006, 10:16

Captain Spaulding wrote:Sure, I´d like him to be the nicest man ever, and to have him calling me to invite me to spend a couple of days with my family at Disneyland, but if he isn´t I´m still bound to get emotional everytime I hear "Into the mystic" or "Sometimes we cry"

I do like Vans music, but I'm not the biggest of fans. For me, the sour old gobshite attitude far outweighs any pleasure I'd get from his music. Haven't heard Moondance yet though, I think this thread has convinced me to finally get it.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 27 Jun 2006, 10:19

Tactful Cactus wrote:I do like Vans music, but I'm not the biggest of fans. For me, the sour old gobshite attitude far outweighs any pleasure I'd get from his music. Haven't heard Moondance yet though, I think this thread has convinced me to finally get it.

Wise choice, if you ask me.

Short Bald Bloke

Postby Short Bald Bloke » 27 Jun 2006, 22:09

the john otway fan club wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:Tell you what, that Brown Eyed Guirls a bit good innit? Guarenteed to get people dancing at parties.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Best Album: Moondance
Best Song:- Did Ye Get Healed

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, Mr. C, but after a 46 year recording career, I'd hope to be remembered for something a little more substantial than "Brown Eyed Guirls "{sic}.

The man himself would appear to agree with you. One time when I saw Van, a woman called out from the audience "Play Brown Eyed Girl. Please". To which the maverick genius replied "I don't play that fucking crap anymore".

I've seen him three times and the law of diminishing returns (or increasing aging grumpiness) seems to apply. The first time (1994) was a fantastic evening with a great choice of songs, top class musicianship and a frontman who seemed to genuinely enjoy himself.

The second time was ok. Nothing special.
The third time he didn't look as if he wanted to be there and let Georgie Fame do most of the show for him. Don't think I will bother again.

Oh yes, nearly forgot:
Album : Enlightenment (yes I know, but I like it)
Song: Sweet Thing
NancyTheInfecter wrote:I'd vote Sheffield as well as it is a much sexier place.

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 27 Jun 2006, 23:36

Image Image

Spooky.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 28 Jun 2006, 13:45

Album - Hard Nose The Highway

Song - And It Stoned Me
Don't fight the hypothetical

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 28 Jun 2006, 14:00

tokagetonosama wrote:Song - And It Stoned Me

Interesting choice. I'm on record as prefering Astral Weeks to Moondance, but even then I really don't get what the deal is with Into The Mystic and why so many people have chosen it. I'd say it doesn't even stand out (for me) as the best track on Moondance. I'd take your choice over it for starters. Great country soul feel to And It Stoned Me. I reckon even Dan Penn would be happy to have this on his cv.
We're way past rhubarb

aloysius

Postby aloysius » 28 Jun 2006, 14:15

Album - Common One

Song - Wonderful Remark
THE GOOD, THE EBONY & THE IVOR THE ENGINEY. Eastwood/Wonder/Postgate concept album. I WILL PAY YOU to take this away. 07999 284800 (24 hours).

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Jun 2006, 15:22

The Fish wrote:
tokagetonosama wrote:Song - And It Stoned Me

Interesting choice. I'm on record as prefering Astral Weeks to Moondance, but even then I really don't get what the deal is with Into The Mystic and why so many people have chosen it. I'd say it doesn't even stand out (for me) as the best track on Moondance. I'd take your choice over it for starters. Great country soul feel to And It Stoned Me. I reckon even Dan Penn would be happy to have this on his cv.

I almost picked "And It Stoned Me" over "Into the Mystic", but the "stoned me just like Jelly Roll" line brings back all of the bad Van Morrison name dropping memories every time I hear it.

I think you are possibly undervaluing "Into the Mystic", which probably is the consensus choice because it so effortlessly conveys both the feeling and the idea of transendence. In truth, picking a favorite Morrison song is a fairly arbitrary exercise. I could just have easily picked "Crazy Love," "Cypruss Avenue," "And the Healing Has Begun" (but it name drops both Muddy Waters and Jelly Roll again), or "Here Comes the Night."

Return to “BCB 100”