BCB 100 - Super Furry Animals

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 19:08

The Marquess wrote:
Unlucky Bear wrote:Utterly useless. Tuneless, pointless, dull and worthy. A waste of effort.

Ooh you wait until the Marquis gets home.

Until then, I'd like to say... last summer, Ashton Court Festival, the sun setting on a baking hot day, the crowd going wild, then....the opening bars to Slow Life.

Haven't had many live music experiences to rival that. I'm a convert.

I'd never been a fan at all, far from it, had a few albums people had raved about, played them a handful of times and wondered why i'd bothered. But that gig, where i didn't know a single track, was superb

the setting, and sun, and company, and refreshments were part of it but i'll never totally slag them off since then

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 19 Jun 2006, 22:34

Album - Rings Around The World
Song - Something For The Weekend

Beno

Postby Beno » 19 Jun 2006, 22:35

SFA are probably the perfect example of a band that is underrated by the public at large so almost as a reaction to that they are overrated on here.

They are a good solid band with some very good moments. I kept buying their albums as well for ages before thinking that one day something would click and I'd think they are great. It never happened and now I almost never get the urge to play anything by them, and when I do it's normally the outspaced comp just for The Man Don't Give a Fuck.

More worthy of a BCB 100 place than Supergrass though.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 22:36

Beno wrote:More worthy of a BCB 100 place than Supergrass though.

No
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Jun 2006, 22:44

Penk wrote:

No

Agreed. But it's close.

For me, the two greatest bands to come out of the UK in the last ten years.

Clay Davis

Postby Clay Davis » 19 Jun 2006, 22:48

the name is Coan wrote:
Penk wrote:

No

Agreed. But it's close.

For me, the two greatest bands to come out of the UK in the last ten years.

Supergrass are special to me but SFA are a far more varied band and each change is interesting and has produced good albums. Most of SFA good songs are better than Supergrass' good songs. They're probably just better live as well.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 19 Jun 2006, 22:53

One of the most boring live acts I have ever suffered through. They are very short people though, and I found that amusing. I actually thought that one guitar player was sitting on a stool during the whole show because he like hurt his ankle or something. That is until he was standing near me at the bar afterwards. Couldn't have been much more than 5'. He was kind of cute too.

I heard a record or two in my time also. Very boring and um, pretentious. They certainly think they are great, and I guess these days that will take you very far.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 19 Jun 2006, 23:08

They're good. Faultlessly likable in my eyes; I just couldn't imagine someone with my general requirements for music not finding something in them (which makes Owen's indifference a bit surprising). Still, I've only got Radiator and Love Kraft, which I will no doubt bust open a few times over the summer, but which do me very nicely. Thanks!

My favourite song is 'Atomik Lust', which is the musical equivalent of smashing up a pile of berries and scooping them into your mouth gratutiously.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2006, 23:14

I find them a bit hit and miss, but they can do some really good stuff even if I can't get hugely excited by them. I haven't heard all the albums so I don't know which is the best, but my favourite song of theirs is "Run Christian Run" which I like a lot.

Beno

Postby Beno » 19 Jun 2006, 23:15

Leg of lamb wrote:the musical equivalent of smashing up a pile of berries and scooping them into your mouth gratutiously.

That's what lets them down. There's something worthy about gratuitously eating fruit. Personally I'd go for chocolate.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 23:27

Beno wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:the musical equivalent of smashing up a pile of berries and scooping them into your mouth gratutiously.

That's what lets them down. There's something worthy about gratuitously eating fruit. Personally I'd go for chocolate.

yeah they just a bit dull and backgroundy. but the festival gig was great

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 23:30

Bob Loblaw wrote:Most of SFA good songs are better than Supergrass' good songs.

Again no. When Supergrass are at their best they're the best around. They only really managed to write consistently good songs for the first two albums but that's enough to cement their place amongst the best bands of the '90s. The Super Furries are fun and do have some top-notch songs but never approached the same heights.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 19 Jun 2006, 23:43

One of my all-time favourite bands but I was very dissapointed by Lovekraft and I've never quite gotten to grips with it. Shame because Phantom Power is one of my favourite albums ever and they've got dozens of gems in the back catalogue. One of those bands like XTC who never seem to have massive hits and you can't for the life of you see why not.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 19 Jun 2006, 23:44

Owen wrote:yeah they just a bit dull and backgroundy. but the festival gig was great

I'll admit that they rarely demand you to sit up and listen or else. For me, there's just not that much real emotional depth - you kinda get the impression that nothing really pisses Gruff off. Big him up for that but it means he runs the risk of whacky disposability.

Still, sometimes that's nice. Mind you, that berry analogy was well wanky. I was just trying to get across something refreshing with none of the baggage and hangovers that pop music can bring with it.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 19 Jun 2006, 23:47

I quite liked the berry analogy. I like blueberries, or blackberries or loganberries, all refreshing and juicy. I'd rather have handfuls of them than chocolate most of the time. Or a bowl of stewed damsons.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 23:49

I'd take chocolate over berries any time. I did have strawberries this afternoon though.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 19 Jun 2006, 23:50

I'm on a huge blueberry trip at the moment. Get 'em reduced to clear and munch through a whole punnet in 15 minutes. Revitalization!

And yeah, I'd rather have the freshness of the Furries than cloying 'chocolate' bands like ... well, I dunno. I'll leave that to someone else.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Jun 2006, 23:53

Fruit V Chocolate?

I never would have guessed that.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Jun 2006, 23:54

Penk wrote:

Again no. When Supergrass are at their best they're the best around. They only really managed to write consistently good songs for the first two albums...

:shock:

I take it you still haven't heard 'Life On Other Planets' then, E?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 23:55

the name is Coan wrote:
Penk wrote:

Again no. When Supergrass are at their best they're the best around. They only really managed to write consistently good songs for the first two albums...

:shock:

I take it you still haven't heard 'Life On Other Planets' then, E?

It's alright, has its moments, not a patch on the first two though, they're 100% fat-free.

Return to “BCB 100”