BCB 100 - The Byrds

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 17 Jun 2006, 09:34

The Slider wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:
The Slider wrote:
I hate everything they did after Crosby left with a passion that is quite beyond words. Baez is the only act for which I have more contempt.

Do you mean Clark instead of Crosby?

Both.

They are all gay and do each others bums.
That is probably why their singing is so horrible - they all have Roger McGuinn up them.

And they don't like it up 'em.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 17 Jun 2006, 09:40

Oh. I think they do.
That's what being gay is, isn't it?

DiamondDog wrote:surely, you like "the ballad of easy rider?"

No.
I don't abhorr their version of Goin' Back, but that is the only thing I can bear after early '67. :lol:
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Jun 2006, 10:11

they are just really dull aren't they, the first few albums have their moments but after that their critical acclaim seems to solely exist to provide critics with an american 60s band to write about. They had an 'interesting' career, they did albums in different styles, there were line up changes and connections to other more interesting acts, all the sorts of stuff that makes for a story. But it's almost all really really dull

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 17 Jun 2006, 22:04

Fave album: Younger Than Yesterday - has the odd duff track but many stunners

Fave track: Lady Friend - just a b side but probably the best b side of all time.

Also made some of the worst albums by a major band ever, eg Byrdmaniax. Quite horrid.
“Erratic associate member”

Beno

Postby Beno » 17 Jun 2006, 23:07

goldwax wrote:I first proper introduction to the Byrds was the first box set. Anyone who listens to that (or rather the first two discs and change) and doesn't think it's the greatest music ever needs to rethink his life, because it clearly isn't worth living.

The box is the first and only thing I have by them. The first two discs are great but a long way from being the greatest. After the first two discs though it isn't so great though is it. Sums up the band with a rapid peak followed by a slow decline, which actually became fairly fast towards the end.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 17 Jun 2006, 23:29

A lot of people seem to favour their early work. I find the first three albums unsatisfying in that there are only four or so songs that are gems. On Mr Tambourine, all I really want to play are 'All I really want to do', the title track, 'Bells of Rhymany', 'Chimes of Freedom' and the very best on there 'Feel A Whole Lot Better'. The rest is a bit yawnsome.

I think they are a band who have the classic 'normal distribution' bell shape of quality against time.

The first three albums, pretty good. The next three, really fantastic, easily in the top 100 albums ever (I do not say that lightly, so not sniggering). Then it tails off again with again a few nice tracks but on the whole not great.

The same shape graph for:

The Pixies
Radiohead
The Stones (except there's has a very long, very low line stretching off towards infinity and approaching the x axis).
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 18 Jun 2006, 00:04

goldwax wrote:The best stuff on there is the greatest music ever

I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way.
We're way past rhubarb

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 19 Jun 2006, 10:16

Album: Notorious Byrd Brothers.
Song: Well, I find "My Back Pages" as exhilirating as pretty much anything else in pop music. But I want to choose an original, so I'll go for "Everybody's been burned".

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 19 Jun 2006, 10:28

Album: Younger then Yesterday

And I'm going to mention Untitled, because it seems to get lost in the crush.

Track: Eight Miles High

And I'm going to mention the oft overlooked 'Bad Night on the Whiskey'.

catboy

Postby catboy » 19 Jun 2006, 10:46

I See You....

best guitar solo of their career.
“I was in Hollywood a long, long time. I was on the verge of making it too, but some cocksucker stole my shopping cart and I was back to square one.”

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2006, 10:51

Another vote for The Notorious Byrd Brothers from me. As for a song, I'll go for the haunting elegy of Draft Morning.
From 65-68 they were fantastic, even when the songwriting was slightly off they still sounded wonderful.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Jun 2006, 11:07

The Unique Modernist! wrote:Another vote for The Notorious Byrd Brothers from me. As for a song, I'll go for the haunting elegy of Draft Morning.
From 65-68 they were fantastic, even when the songwriting was slightly off they still sounded wonderful.

Ill go along with that.Great album, great track.In fact the four opening tracks are all superb.
Somebody mentioned it was their "Rubber Soul",and I think thats a good comparison.
Only one that gets close is "Younger Than Yesterday", and I especially like "Renaissance Fair" from that one, with hon.mentions for "My Back Pages" and "Lady Friend".
So for me;
Notorious Byrd Bothers
Draft Morning
Bless the weather.......Image

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 19 Jun 2006, 11:13

The thing that makes Notorious Byrd Bros stand out for me (apart from the amazing number of frankly awesome songs) is the double whammy of 'Natural Harmony' and 'Draft Morning'. Different from anything realy on any other of their albums, and quite disconserting and sinister. One after the other, it gives the album an added dimension.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2006, 04:39

alubm: 5D
'Notorious Byrds Brothers" has really grown on me but I've just loved 5D the longest. sometimes that counts.

song: Everybody's Been Burned

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Jul 2006, 04:48

Owen wrote:they are just really dull aren't they, the first few albums have their moments but after that their critical acclaim seems to solely exist to provide critics with an american 60s band to write about.

Unless, like me, you find that, by and large, they made a lot of beautiful, perfect music.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 15 Jul 2006, 13:28

Baron 'O' Boogie wrote:
Owen wrote:they are just really dull aren't they, the first few albums have their moments but after that their critical acclaim seems to solely exist to provide critics with an american 60s band to write about.

Unless, like me, you find that, by and large, they made a lot of beautiful, perfect music.

where?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Jul 2006, 13:32

Owen wrote:
Baron 'O' Boogie wrote:

where?

I usually find it in my cd shelves, but things are in a state of disarray right now . . .
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: BCB 100 - The Byrds

Postby Moleskin » 16 Mar 2010, 20:46

No love for late period Byrds?

I love 'Ballad of Easy Rider', 'Chestnut Mare', 'All the Things', 'Lover of the Bayou'...

Album: The Notorious Byrd Brothers
Song: 'Draft Morning'
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

pcqgod

Re: BCB 100 - The Byrds

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jul 2010, 04:59

album: The Notorious Byrd Brothers
song: Ladyfriend
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “BCB 100”