BCB 100 - The Smiths

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 21:30

Penk wrote:
Owen wrote:
Penk wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:The truth is Morrissey's lyrics were deliberately ambiguous gender-wise which actually gave them a certain attractive mystery. There was certainly a homoeroticism to some of it, but frankly so fuckin' what.
Why has this become a point of criticism?

See my post near the top of page 11.

Or just save time get into the spirit of the thread and criticise something totally different you think somebody might have said in their silly smiths hating way.

It's not even stuff we've said though, it's just that they're so paranoid from listening to all that miserable Smiths stuff that they have to get in with their defences in anticipation of us coming up with new things to dislike about them.

You see, and when the "Morrissey is Gay" bait falls flat on it's arse they start to criticise the fans. So predictable. And in it's own way, so gay!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2006, 21:30

Penk wrote:
It's not even stuff we've said though, it's just that they're so paranoid from listening to all that miserable Smiths stuff that they have to get in with their defences in anticipation of us coming up with new things to dislike about them.

Actually I defended your right to your opinion on this thread. You're becoming rather hysterical in your attempts to lump anyone who liked The Smiths as some sad obsessive.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 21:31

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Penk wrote:

Actually I defended your right to your opinion on this thread. You're becoming rather hysterical in your attempts to lump anyone who liked The Smiths as some sad obsessive.

Handbags at dawn! :lol:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 21:33

The Unique Modernist! wrote:You're becoming rather hysterical in your attempts to lump anyone who liked The Smiths as some sad obsessive.

You're just saying that because I said something nasty about Morrissey.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2006, 21:36

Owen wrote:
Jarg Armani wrote:, so to then pronounce him a hypocrit is ridiculous.

It smacks more of your distaste for the man than rationality

I didn't make the hypocrite comments, just found it very obvious what they were referring to when you were claiming ignorance.

I dont actually dislike morrissey either, he was very good for quite a while, then got shit in much the same way as 99% of other artists with similar length careers.

I just find the level of worship amusing in a slightly depressing way.

I don't worship the man.

But I find the use of the word hypocrite to describe him incredibly distateful.

It is an extreme word to use when you are criticising someone for being sexually ambiguous and for keeping the world ( or his fans ) guessing .

The thought that he should have to flaunt his sexlife across the music press to save himself from you and Penk thinking him a hypocrite is frankly appalling.

That is tabloid witch-hunt mentality, reveal all or we will destroy you.

Or in your case reveal all or you are an hypocrite
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 21:39

How the fuck is that 'my case' you knob. I didn't say ever it, just took a stab at suggesting what whoever did might have been on about.

Anyway he didn't keep anyone guessing. He either told them flat out about his sex life (ie that he was celibate) or deliberately lied about it.

Neither one is 'being ambiguous to keep people guessing'

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2006, 21:44

I stand by my point. Anyone who accuses Morrissey of hypocrisy because he didn't state his sexuality in the 80s is a prize arse.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2006, 21:51

I always took it he was uncertain and insecure in his sexuality, surely that was the point to the lyrics. The key motif in most of them is being simultaneously attracted and repelled by physical contact (from either sex).
The fact at 45 or whatever he is far more secure in his sexuality than at 24 hardly makes what he wrote then hypocritical, it just means he's changed as people do.
And no I'm not nor ever have been a Morrissey "worshipper" before that tedious line of attack gets wheeled out.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 21:51

Owen wrote:Anyway he didn't keep anyone guessing. He either told them flat out about his sex life (ie that he was celibate) or deliberately lied about it.

I think his lyrics are intentionally ambiguous. He's keeping Matt Wilson guessing.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 19 Jun 2006, 21:52

Owen wrote:How the fuck is that 'my case' you knob. I didn't say ever it, just took a stab at suggesting what whoever did might have been on about.

Actually Owen, you did eventually say "it does seem hypocritical".

I never understand these Smiths arguments. I think they're great but I can understand why some people might not like them; especially Morrissey. I think they're usually missing the point but that's just one man's opinion.
What I really can't understand is the rabid humourlessness of people who insist on attacking them and the people who like them. They seem to be offended by the band in a way that reminds me of my parents attitude to the Rolling Stones way back when.
Bizarre.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Jun 2006, 21:52

Oscar wrote:
Owen wrote:Anyway he didn't keep anyone guessing. He either told them flat out about his sex life (ie that he was celibate) or deliberately lied about it.

I think his lyrics are intentionally ambiguous. He's keeping Matt Wilson guessing.

No, Oscar, I'm not confused as to his sexuality at all.
You, on the other hand...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 21:54

Rorschach wrote:What I really can't understand is the rabid humourlessness of people who insist on attacking them

It's because we get so annoyed at people like you sucking Morrissey's cock :x :x :x :x :x
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 21:56

Matt Wilson wrote:
Oscar wrote:

No, Oscar, I'm not confused as to his sexuality at all.
You, on the other hand...

We're not talking about his sexuality, we're talking about the perspective of his lyrics. He is definitely a person who would get a kick out of causing confusion.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 21:57

The Unique Modernist! wrote:I always took it he was uncertain and insecure in his sexuality, surely that was the point to the lyrics. The key motif in most of them is being simultaneously attracted and repelled by physical contact (from either sex).
The fact at 45 or whatever he is far more secure in his sexuality than at 24 hardly makes what he wrote then hypocritical, it just means he's changed as people do.
And no I'm not nor ever have been a Morrissey "worshipper" before that tedious line of attack gets wheeled out.

Actually if we really have to get onto his sexuality I always took it as similar to the Kenneth williams style loathing of his own homosexual urges, a very pre-decriminalisation take on gayness.

and yes these days he seems more relaxed, which is nice, although he's made enough interview comments about people falling for his old lies to suggest he was probably happily shagging away back then as well. I hope so anyway, for his sake

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 21:59

Rorschach wrote:
Owen wrote:How the fuck is that 'my case' you knob. I didn't say ever it, just took a stab at suggesting what whoever did might have been on about.

I never understand these Smiths arguments. I think they're great but I can understand why some people might not like them; especially Morrissey.

Actually that's pretty much my opinion too. A lot of this has been because they are interesting to talk about, a bit because i was bored and a bit because i do genuinely find some of the fan response mystifying.

Most of it was tongue in cheek, it's something we've talked about enough times that i already know the actual opinions of the people in the thread i respect.

I do think the whole celibacy thing was a cop out, but i can understand why he did it

Stat Boy

Postby 010101010101 » 19 Jun 2006, 22:00

I think they're fuckin' shit; miserabilism for bedwetters who should get out more.

And I'm right in that opinion. Lock thread.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 22:02

Owen wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I never understand these Smiths arguments. I think they're great but I can understand why some people might not like them; especially Morrissey.

Actually that's pretty much my opinion too. A lot of this has been because they are interesting to talk about, a bit because i was bored and a bit because i do genuinely find some of the fan response mystifying.

Most of it was tongue in cheek, it's something we've talked about enough times that i already know the actual opinions of the people in the thread i respect.

I do think the whole celibacy thing was a cop out, but i can understand why he did it

Dropping like flies. Two more to go.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2006, 22:02

Well I agree he'd have been better off copping off than copping out. :)

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Jun 2006, 22:10

Well maybe when he said he was celibate, he was celibate. Maybe he launched him bumming career when he found someone he wanted to bum.

But for fucks sake - does it matter?

The world of The Smiths is full of literary references, black & white films, comedy, kitchen sink dramas, unrequited love and Oscar Wilde.
You can buy into it as much or as little as you want. If you chose not to then it's your loss.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Jun 2006, 22:12

Since when does the fact that, not everything you write in the lyric to a rock n roll song is strictly autobiographical and true to the very last detail, make you a hypocrite???? Can you not write from the point of view of a character? Can you not write from a different perspective than your own?

Not everything in the song has to be true for the meaning and sentiment of the song to be heartfelt and honest.

You must really hate Ziggy Stardust then, unless you believe Bowie was really an Alien. Its a bizarre and stupid idea - it leads to people believing that Randy Newman really hates short people.

Return to “BCB 100”