Question about searching for threads

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
Molony

Question about searching for threads

Postby Molony » 11 Sep 2010, 07:51

I know that we are restricted in terms of the number of searches that we can do in a short space of time, but I seem to be having trouble locating threads. Let's say that I am searching for my 'Ambient, modern classical, minimalism' thread: I enter the word 'ambient' in the search box and I get four or five posts, none of which are the thread in question. What am I doing wrong?

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Re: Question about searching for threads

Postby jude » 11 Sep 2010, 12:01

JQW will know the real score, but obviously something wrong with the search facility.

Try using Google, prefixing your search with 'site:www.bcb-board.co.uk '
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Molony

Postby Molony » 12 Sep 2010, 20:47

Will do, thanks.

JQW

Postby JQW » 13 Sep 2010, 10:51

phpBB version 3 supports two methods of searching. One requires extra processing, storing references to every key word whilst a post is made. The other doesn't, but requires that the main database table that contains all posts has full text indexing enabled.

Unfortunately both impact the server once the amount of text to search gets particularly large.

At the moment we're using the former of the two methods, but it only contains entries from the past month or so. I can rebuild it, but it will take several days to get everything in order.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Site News”