Tapatalk support.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
JQW

Tapatalk support.

Postby JQW » 26 Nov 2014, 15:22

For the few of you currently accessing this site via the Tapatalk client on an iOS or Android device, it's evident that the software is someone broken at the moment.

Tapatalk uses extra code supplied by Tapatalk themselves to run on the server. The code they've supplied for phpBB3.1 lacks several features found in the previous version of the code, and is somewhat buggy. For example the client simply throws an error message when attempting to display any thread containing embedded video. In addition the code hasn't been certified by the phpBB team themselves, so we may be susceptible to security issues.

I propose to to temporary disable the Tapatalk plugin later this evening, only re-instating it once the software is updated to a version which is more stable.

The new site software renders a lot better on mobile devices now, as long as you're not using the old Subsilver2 style.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Geezee

Re: Tapatalk support.

Postby Geezee » 26 Nov 2014, 15:44

sounds good and thanks!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Nov 2014, 15:53

I prefer subsilver2 on my desktop, but I'd like to be able to use a different style on my phone. Is there any way to enable two different styles without having to go into my settings each time I'm logged in on a different device? For instance, I'm on my desktop computer right now, using subsilver2, and if I were to switch to my phone it would display as subsilver2 as well, but if I go into my BCB user settings on my phone and switch to a different style, the next time I login on my desktop, it will have switched to that style as well. I understand why it does that, but is there any way to change it?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 26 Nov 2014, 16:11

Thanks Paul. I'd prefer to continue using Tapatalk but I realise that these issues are beyond your control.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Nov 2014, 17:06

Hugh wrote:Thanks Paul. I'd prefer to continue using Tapatalk but I realise that these issues are beyond your control.

Ditto
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

JQW

Postby JQW » 26 Nov 2014, 18:23

I've disabled Tapatalk for the time being.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 27 Nov 2014, 16:45

Do you suggest deleting the Tapatalk app from my iPhone (especially given your concerns over security)? I only ever used it for BCB.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

JQW

Postby JQW » 28 Nov 2014, 09:07

My security concerns are with the software that runs on the server, and its potential to be exploited for nefarious purposes . Unlike phpBB itself it hasn't been audited, and most likely never will.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 05 May 2015, 15:02

JQW wrote:I've disabled Tapatalk for the time being.

Any chance we can have it back? Lots of other forums use it and I see there's a new version out.

JQW

Postby JQW » 05 May 2015, 15:48

The plugin for phpBB 3.1 is still in beta, and by the looks of the support site, nowhere near ready.

Return to “Site News”