The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Spock!

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Spock! » 17 Dec 2018, 20:22

The Modernist wrote:
I don't think I agree. Ferguson had no prior connection to United.
However there is a total lack of football leadership and clear vision at the club these last few years, no clear idea on how they'll transition successfully to a post-Ferguson era. I think the Glazers need to bring in a Director of Football to oversee and overhaul all the areas that United are struggling in at the moment, and that's not just the first team, but transfers, the academy, backroom staff etc. This needs to be done alongside any new managerial appointment. Ideally it should be done now so that the new DoF can manage the succession to Mourinho.

Didn't it take Ferguson about three years to settle in? There was much discontent & many fans who wanted him out. Give Mourinho a chance.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Dec 2018, 02:25

John aka Josh wrote:

Didn't it take Ferguson about three years to settle in? There was much discontent & many fans who wanted him out.

It was closer to 5 or 6 years and there was a lot of calls for him to be sacked in 1990 when they finished 13th. I think a European Cup Winners Cup triumph saved him. Mourinho needs to given at least as much time.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2018, 07:44

trans-chigley express wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

Didn't it take Ferguson about three years to settle in? There was much discontent & many fans who wanted him out.

It was closer to 5 or 6 years and there was a lot of calls for him to be sacked in 1990 when they finished 13th. I think a European Cup Winners Cup triumph saved him. Mourinho needs to given at least as much time.

:lol:

And so say all of us.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Dec 2018, 10:00

He’s gone. Caretaker manager until the end of the season. Big Sam’s getting his PowerPoints ready as I type.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Dec 2018, 10:05

I'd have given him until he had a chance to win the European Cup Winners cup. Or the same time as Fergie was given. At least 20 years.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Dec 2018, 10:13

I said 3 years ago he was finished. Can’t believe Man Utd couldn’t see it. This last 18 months has cost them an incredible amount of money just to prove a truth that was obvious to many after his 2nd tenure at Chelsea.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Dec 2018, 10:32

Damn! I wanted him to stay so much longer.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2018, 10:50

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Opinion, not fact. Just as mine is opinion, not fact.

As I said, if Man Utd are in such need that they have to qualify for the CL, then Mourinho should be the man (though I very much doubt he would have got Chelsea there this season).

My issue is whether the option to replace LVG with Jose is, in fact, a better long term appointment for the club. I happen to think, based on what we know thus far, it may well not be. I'm not certain, because maybe this particular leopard can change his spots, but I remain unconvinced of that.

It may be that he does enough in two two or three seasons he is there to justify the decision - maybe he will steady the ship, make CL qualification a relatively straightforward thing, and pass on a resurgent club to his successor, with the youth policy thriving and the fans happy with the style of football being played. That is a possibility, in which case the risk was justified.

However, the overtures being made to Zlatan - from Mourinho himself, maybe?- suggest a guy ready to come in, buy extremely expensive, senior players, to gain victory now. If Zlatan does go there, where does that leave Rashford and Martial? Two players who really want first team football to thrive and who were probably looking to compete for the lone striker role. If Zlatan arrives, how much football are they going to see in that position, realistically? You know, I know and they know (because the whole world knows) that Mourinho is never going to play two up top.... think about that.

Of course, as Toby suggests, maybe Jose really is ready to settle down and build the club in the long term. I'm merely suggesting (in the previous fifteen years) he has never given the slightest inkling that the club's long term success is his motivator. I see no reason to believe his modus operandi will change - that's based on his career thus far, not some pipe dream/wish.

Here's a question - We go through 2016-17 & 2017-18...and we get into the New Year of 2019........ do you think Mourinho will still be at Man Utd, looking at players in that transfer window? And, whether he is or not, how many players do you think he will have playing at Old Trafford under the age of 22?

I fully understand the loathing of LVG. I just think what he has achieved is being under-estimated. He took a club in disarray and who had a shocking defence. He got them into the CL at the first time of asking and very narrowly missed out this year. He won an FA Cup. He made Man United as good as there is defensively in the EPL. He brought through four or five young, talented players for the future. He was clearly working on a three year plan - who knows what would have happened offensively next year?

As you know, I'm not a Man Utd fan. But I have no hatchet to bury with the club. I'm just giving an honest opinion of the change of manager. In my eyes, Man Utd have embarked on a high risk strategy with a manager whose history suggests he isn't a long term solution, that is all.

From May 24th 2016.

Sometimes you should just listen to me kids.
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Dec 2018, 12:19

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Postby ` » 18 Dec 2018, 12:41

Blimey DS was quick off the mark.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Dec 2018, 13:45

The Modernist wrote: I think the Glazers need to bring in a Director of Football to oversee and overhaul all the areas that United are struggling in at the moment, and that's not just the first team, but transfers, the academy, backroom staff etc. This needs to be done alongside any new managerial appointment. Ideally it should be done now so that the new DoF can manage the succession to Mourinho.

It appears that this is now exactly what they're doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Dec 2018, 14:59

HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Dec 2018, 15:34

Geezee wrote:HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!

I just read through the thread around 20 pages ago: the entire board laughing at Utd and wondering how long it would take for it all to unravel, apart from jimboo who was gloating that they'd hired a serial Winner.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2018, 15:43

Geezee wrote:HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!

What a bitter little man you can be sometimes.

It's not our fault 'your' club appointed him.
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 18 Dec 2018, 19:02

It may be that now people will catch on to his plan - sign a five year contract, win a trophy to say that he has won something, then deliberately send the club into decline so he gets sacked - meaning he gets a big pay-off while being free to take another (well-paid) job.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Dec 2018, 19:11

PENK wrote:

I just read through the thread around 20 pages ago: the entire board laughing at Utd and wondering how long it would take for it all to unravel, apart from jimboo who was gloating that they'd hired a serial Winner.

To be fair to Jimboo, it was a typo and he meant to write 'serial whinner'.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Dec 2018, 20:19

Diamond Dog wrote:

What a bitter little man you can be sometimes.

It's not our fault 'your' club appointed him.

Bitter? I couldn't give a flying rat's monkey what happens to that club - I'm laughing as much as anyone at this.

But it's just as funny to hear all the "I TOLD YOU SOs" about something which was about as predictable as you can get.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

`

Postby ` » 19 Dec 2018, 08:08

Geezee wrote:
But it's just as funny to hear all the "I TOLD YOU SOs" about something which was about as predictable as you can get.

When Nostradogus speaks, it's a foolish BCBer who fails to listen!

I don't know about you, Geezee, but I for one will be heeding his Old Bore's Almanac's advice that the next few months could turn chilly and wearing a coat and scarf when I venture out.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 08:43

caramba wrote:
Geezee wrote:

When Nostradogus speaks, it's a foolish BCBer who fails to listen!

I don't know about you, Geezee, but I for one will be heeding his Old Bore's Almanac's advice that the next few months could turn chilly and wearing a coat and scarf when I venture out.

Talking about bitter little men.....
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Dec 2018, 08:45

A pint of black sheep for me, ta.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Sporting Life”