Liverpool

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Jimbly

Re: Liverpool

Postby Jimbly » 09 Dec 2017, 00:54

Yet his record at Liverpool is no better than BR.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Dec 2017, 02:38

Jeemo wrote:Yet his record at Liverpool is no better than BR.

I've been a little surprised at how critical some have been of Klopp. Do people expect instant success?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2017, 05:46

So - even taking into account the 'huge burden' of replacing Gerard - really 'the toughest job in world football'?

Get over yourself.

In a world of manager's talking utter shit, that comment stands high on the hill. What complete bollocks.

As for Klopp, I've actually been very "Pro" his appointment and the job he's doing at Anfield. I'm not sure how that makes his comment any less dumb though.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 09 Dec 2017, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Dec 2017, 08:50

The Modernist wrote:

I've been a little surprised at how critical some have been of Klopp. Do people expect instant success?

He hasn't brought a level of consistency to results and performances that would move the team onwards. They vear from brilliant to mediocre far too often.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Dec 2017, 11:05

Jeemo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

He hasn't brought a level of consistency to results and performances that would move the team onwards. They vear from brilliant to mediocre far too often.

I think it's fair to judge him this season, and so far the judgement would be a little mixed. Some of the attacking play has been thrilling, but obviously there's been major defensive issues at times. If he can keep them into the top four for the second successive season I'd argue that would qualify as consistency. Overall, I'd say there's been more good than bad and they certainly look stronger than did towards the end of Rodger's reign.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Dec 2017, 11:31

Diamond Dog wrote:So - even taking into account the 'huge burden' of replacing Gerard - really 'the toughest job in world football'?

Get over yourself.

In a world of manager's talking utter shit, that comment stands high on the hill. What complete bollocks.

As for Klopp, I've actually been very "Pro" his appointment and the job he's doing at Anfield. I'm not sure how that makes his comment any less dumb though.

Get over myself? I agree it's complete bollocks. I avoid manager & player interviews as I expect them to be full of rubbish. Surprised anyone takes any notice of them.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Dec 2017, 11:38

The Modernist wrote:

These days yes, sadly.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Dec 2017, 20:10

The record in terms of league positions is the same as Rodgers, but the difference is that Klopp is the sort of manager that attracts great players to work under him. That should be obvious.

I doubt Rodgers would have been able to attract Salah (who has been terrific) and potentially keep Coutinho at the club (although I accept that this is pure speculation on my behalf as to whether the incumbent manager is a factor in him staying for now).

I'd agree with DD that they are on the crest of a wave and will no doubt dip, but I also reckon that they are stronger as an attacking force than they were a year ago, even if defensively they are probably about the same.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Dec 2017, 20:07

Classy interview with Sky by Klopp.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Dec 2017, 23:40

Toby wrote:I doubt Rodgers would have been able to attract Salah (who has been terrific).

I don't see why not. Liverpool are a bigger club than Roma and pay better wages.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 08:44

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:I doubt Rodgers would have been able to attract Salah (who has been terrific).

I don't see why not. Liverpool are a bigger club than Roma and pay better wages.

But Klopp is a God!!
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Dec 2017, 11:53

Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

They do have fewer fans in Kuala Lumpur though, so maybe that swayed Salah’s thinking.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 19:35

PENK wrote:Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

They do have fewer fans in Kuala Lumpur though, so maybe that swayed Salah’s thinking.

But probably more in Liverpool itself.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Dec 2017, 22:43

PENK wrote:Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

I know you're anti Liverpool Ed but to argue Roma are a bigger club is pushing it don't you think?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Dec 2017, 06:42

Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Dec 2017, 07:14

PENK wrote:Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.

Indeed - and Roma may or may not be “bigger” depending on how that is defined, but they certainly are a more successful club in recent years.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Dec 2017, 10:12

Geezee wrote:
PENK wrote:Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.

Indeed - and Roma may or may not be “bigger” depending on how that is defined, but they certainly are a more successful club in recent years.

Barely...they've won one trophy in the last ten years. They might have qualified for the Champions League slightly more.
However this nitpicking is missing the central point I was making which was to challenge the notion that Salah would only have come to Liverpool under Klopp.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2017, 18:34

Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Dec 2017, 08:31

Liverpool players signed from Southampton:

Van Dijk = £75m
Mane = £34m
Lallana = £25m
Lovren = £20m
Clyne = £12m
Lambert = £4m

Total Investment = £170m

Southampton was bought for £15m 8 years ago.
Cocaine

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Dec 2017, 09:01

oops wrong thread ... possibly too much festive cheer
Last edited by mentalist (slight return) on 28 Dec 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
king of the divan

Return to “Sporting Life”