Diego Maradona RIP

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Diego Maradona RIP

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2020, 17:00

He had is problems, and was not bothered about cheating, but he could definitely football. Hopefully he will find peace now.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Diego Maradona RIP

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Nov 2020, 18:07

I kind of hope that people will, just for a day or two, forget the less than wonderful things in/about his life - and just celebrate, remember and cherish an absolute God given talent that truly bestrode the footballing world and gave us all some utterly breathtaking memories.

Yes the other side is there but - hey, we never walked in his shoes. We never had the absolute weight of a nation on our shoulders. We never got assaulted brutally on a football pitch, with little protection, and still managed to inspire and thrill (and those injuries were a huge contributory factor in the drug issues of latter years). We never took an incredibly poor national side to the brink of a consecutive world title, virtually single handed. We never took a club that had avoided relegation by a point in consecutive seasons (and had never won a League title) to beating the footballing giants of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus etc etc in a season or two.

Think about that - and just, for a little time, give the guy a break. No he wasn't always lovable (even likeable) but - holy moly- he was a genius the likes of which come around once in a generation, if we're lucky. We should really try to just remember that. And enjoy the memories. RIP Diego.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Nov 2020, 20:42

Well said.

(Still a piece of shit to me though.)

Same departure date as George Best apparently.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Nov 2020, 21:40

I always enjoyed the pieces of brilliance during warmups and trainings, where he juggled the ball and exchanged quips with players and trainings. The effortless ways in which he coordinated movements of himself and the ball. He also demonstrated that in being superior on the field you needed to be strong minded and egotistical and providing your team with that edge.
The sad way he declined after his heyday was over is nothing short of tragic albeit very much self-imposed. When I heard he was hospitalized a few months back I feared that his much suffering heart would break under the pressure....that it did at age 60is in many ways the biggest miracle of all.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

`

Postby ` » 26 Nov 2020, 08:48

GOAT for me by some distance.

While Pele might have won more World Cups, he had world class support from team-mates like Garrincha and Jairzhino.

Maradona on the other hand carried not only journeyman teams, but also the hopes and dreams of entire cities and indeed
nations on his back.

Simply being able to watching him juggle the ball pre-match must have been worth the admission price on its own.
Only other athlete with such total mastery of the tools of his trade I can think of is Lee Trevino; who grew up in
similarly dirt poor circumstances and learned honed his skills by entertaining rich players while caddying at his local
golf club.

And then there were DM's flicks, tricks, dribbles and goals on the pitch. While not talked about nearly as often as
the two he put past England at the QF at the Azteca in 86, the second goal he scored against Belgium in the semi-final is
equally breathtaking.

Sure he had his demons, but what genius - and for once that rather over-used term is fully justified - doesn't?

If you've not already seen it, do yourself a favour and watch Asif (Amy, Senna) Kapadia's superb documentary from
last year which is still on C4 Catch Up in the UK - link below:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/die ... /65185-001

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Nov 2020, 22:47

Great tributes given here.
The Elvis of football.
RIP little big man.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

`

Postby ` » 02 Dec 2020, 09:05

Lovely tribute from David Squires in today' Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... ona-murals

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 24 Jul 2021, 00:33

I hated him for why he did to us in 1990. He even made my Italian mum cry (she is the only mum I have, I just wanted to point out she is Italian)

But since then. I have learned and studied about him and gre to love him. He was an incredible principled man (depite what the English think) who gave everything for club and country.
Mostly dancing sir,...

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 24 Jul 2021, 00:37

Diamond Dog wrote:I kind of hope that people will, just for a day or two, forget the less than wonderful things in/about his life - and just celebrate, remember and cherish an absolute God given talent that truly bestrode the footballing world and gave us all some utterly breathtaking memories.

Yes the other side is there but - hey, we never walked in his shoes. We never had the absolute weight of a nation on our shoulders. We never got assaulted brutally on a football pitch, with little protection, and still managed to inspire and thrill (and those injuries were a huge contributory factor in the drug issues of latter years). We never took an incredibly poor national side to the brink of a consecutive world title, virtually single handed. We never took a club that had avoided relegation by a point in consecutive seasons (and had never won a League title) to beating the footballing giants of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus etc etc in a season or two.

Think about that - and just, for a little time, give the guy a break. No he wasn't always lovable (even likeable) but - holy moly- he was a genius the likes of which come around once in a generation, if we're lucky. We should really try to just remember that. And enjoy the memories. RIP Diego.

In Naples, they stil sing 'Ho visto Marandona' (I saw Maradona)
Mostly dancing sir,...

Return to “Sporting Life”