Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Ray Clemence RIP

Postby Brickyard Jack » 15 Nov 2020, 16:13

One of the great keepers, a giant of the game. RIP

trans-chigley express

Re: Ray Clemence RIP

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Nov 2020, 04:26

The best keeper Liverpool ever had and a lovely gent by all accounts. Won so many honours during his playing career: 5 titles, 3 European Cups, 3 Uefa Cups (one with Spurs) 2 FA Cups (one with Spurs) amongst others. Undervalued at international level as he was always second to Shilton (England were blessed with great keeps in that era).

RIP

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Nov 2020, 11:05

A superb keeper and, as noted, a gentleman too.

As I recall, he was actually the first choice keeper for England until Ron Greenwood went on that bizarre 'one on, one off' scheme with him and Shilton. If either had been selected as first choice then, their individual caps total would have significantly increased.

RIP Ray.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Nov 2020, 11:41

A better keeper than Shilts, I always thought, because the latter had a weakness low down near the body because of a reluctance to use his legs to block (see the Poland goal in the home qualifier to Poland), although Pat Jennings was better than both :D .
But all irrelevant now, of course. Everything I've read since his death was about what a great guy he was, and I have no reason to doubt it. As others have said, 72 is no age: I can attest to that from personal experience.

RIP Ray
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Nov 2020, 15:25

I never actually saw him play in a game but I met him at a goalkeeping school that Bob Wilson used to run in the early 90s - I met so many great goalkeeping greats at that school (except my real hero Neville Southall). Ray was indeed such a lovely person - it was somewhat incongruous to see him there because the school was very much focused on building up your personality, your confidence, your communication to a bunch of often very shy young teenage rejects who had been stuck in goal by their mates. Most of the people we saw and met and were coached by - David Seaman, Pat Jennings etc - all had these massive, booming voices. But Ray was so softly spoken, so sweet. I remember thinking that it was hard to picture him in goal, but once we actually saw him in there it was quite incredible to see how he moved in goal - such an agile dancer around the area (reminded me of how people described Lev Yashin as a black spider). Will never forget it - it was dreamlike.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 Nov 2020, 23:41

Very saddened when I learnt the news yesterday.

A superb keeper and one of the providers of a raft of great memories. Emlyn would lead the team out, running onto the pitch with knees high, we'd sing "Come without, come on within, you've not seen nothing like the mighty Emlyn," (think Quinn the Eskimo). He was followed out by Ray, arms hanging down by his sides, who would jog to the goal in front of us, put his bag with a towel/flannel into the goal and start his warm up. As he did so we'd do his chant - "England's number one, England, England's number one," until he would turn to raise his arms and thank us, then turn to continue his and the other's warm up routine.

It was a shock to learn he was leaving us, and almost inevitably his return to us was the afternoon when we could win the league by beating Tottenham. When he came out for the second half and headed for the goal in front of the Kop the warmth of his reception was palpable, Ray looked genuinely moved by his reception. I don't think he knew the affection which so many had for him.

As Geezee said, a brilliantly agile keeper, an excellent reader of the game - he really developed the role of 'sweeper keeper' and took it to another level. He always gave his all, was extremely courageous and was sorely missed.

RIP Ray, and thanks.

Return to “Sporting Life”