Peter Bonetti RIP

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Peter Bonetti RIP

Postby Brickyard Jack » 12 Apr 2020, 18:42

A name to conjure with for men of a certain age. RIP.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Peter Bonetti RIP

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Apr 2020, 19:49

Blimey. 9 pins today.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Apr 2020, 18:39

Great keeper - understudy at both 66 and 70 world cups (I think?).
Sadly many will remember him for the soft goal he let in against West Germany in the 1970 World Cup Quarter Final...which started the rot.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 14 Apr 2020, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Apr 2020, 19:14

I saw him play Easter Saturday 1960 at Tottenham, the return of the Good Friday fixture at Stamford Bridge, which Spurs won 3-1, leaving them two or three points clear at the top. Standing behind the Park Lane goal, I saw another Chelsea teenager, Jimmy Greaves, put Chelsea in the lead, and then, in the second half, a brilliant display from Bonetti, who wasn't particularly big by goalkeeping standards, even back then, but he was amazingly agile and stretchy, and in that game he got to every shot and they all stuck or got flicked over the top. As a (useless but enthusiastic) goalkeeper myself, I really admired him. He couldn't command the way that Banks did, but he was his equal as a shot-stopper. Seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke, too.

RIP
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Postby ` » 14 Apr 2020, 12:24

Amazing that PB was England's No 2 goalkeeper for four straight years and only got seven caps. Tragic that he'll always be remembered (blamed!) for that one last match. While PB was definitely at fault for the first of the three goals, lots of journos who were there blamed Ramsey for taking Charlton off immediately after Beckenbauer scored it. Like PB, Charlton never played for England again.

Interestingly, both PB, David Harvey who was in goal for Leeds at the other end of the pitch in the 1970 FA Cup, ended up working as postmen in Scotland after they retired.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Apr 2020, 18:42

Sorry I forgot to add RIP Peter Bonetti. :oops:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”