The Boxing

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Boxing

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Aug 2017, 10:33

I just think some in the MMA community don't quite understand that not all boxers win by knocking people out as early as possible. Winning by tactics and strategy is the way of boxers like Mayweather - he knew that the longer the fight went on the more tired McGregor would become. That involved being in there for the long haul, not trying to win by knockout in round one. I also think it's important that Mayweather did get tagged by a good uppercut in the first round and that would have made him even more cautious than he normally would be (and, as the article says, he is renowned for taking 3-4 rounds to gauge what his opponent brings to the contest).

As well as McGregor did, he really is deluded if he thinks he ruffled Mayweather (as his interviews since have implied). Besides that initial uppercut, he never once looked like causing Mayweather any problems. To suggest, as he has, that he thought he had Mayweather out-of-kilter for five or six rounds is nonsense.

Another thing - this was Mayweather's second contest in four years. And he's 40 years old. Trust me, if the McGregor of now fought the Mayweather of around the same age (29-30) he really wouldn't have landed a punch of any note at all, and would have taken much more of a beating than he did. The Mayweather of 11 years ago was an awesome boxing/fighting machine. He won the WBC & IBF Welterweight titles in 2006 in his only two fights and then outpointed the great Oscar De La Hoya in 2007 ( one of the worst split decisions in my view, as Mayweather clearly boxed Oscar out of the ring) and thumped Ricky Hatton (at the absolute peak of his powers) in round 10 later that year.

You know, whether you like his style - and a lot don't- he truly is one of the greats of boxing for the past 30 years. And McGregor is an MMA great but please don't kid yourself that he ever came remotely close to landing an upset. He didn't.

As for what would the result be in an MMA octagon - well clearly McGregor would win. But no one seriously thinks Mayweather is stupid enough to get into the ring with McGregor in that environment, do they? :)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 10:54

There’s a funny dynamic between the two sports. MMA is a bit like the uppity new kid on the block: bold, brash and cocky. McGregor is the poster boy for MMA and typifies this to a degree. Some boxing fans are predictably a bit snooty and dismissive towards the newer sport and these two groups wind each other up. For some McGregors performance will be some kind of proof of the superiority of MMA: the new kid on the block that will eventually supersede boxing in popularity etc.

It’s juvenile stuff, as you’d expect, but then you have to expect some knuckle dragging stupidity here.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Aug 2017, 11:12

I'm not at all snooty about MMA by the way (in case anyone thinks I am) - I never think of it as a rival to boxing. Indeed, I do understand the attraction of it completely.

But I do sometimes find the need of the MMA community to pitch themselves into a comparision with boxing a bit tiresome . They're different sports and I don't see the crossover appeal being that large (but that's a personal opinion, not based on science). I also find it weird that some are bigging up McGregor's achievements, completely unnecessarily in my view. He gave an honest account of himself - but anymore than that is somewhat fanciful.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 29 Aug 2017, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 11:28

Goat Boy wrote:There’s a funny dynamic between the two sports. MMA is a bit like the uppity new kid on the block: bold, brash and cocky. McGregor is the poster boy for MMA and typifies this to a degree. Some boxing fans are predictably a bit snooty and dismissive towards the newer sport and these two groups wind each other up. For some McGregors performance will be some kind of proof of the superiority of MMA: the new kid on the block that will eventually supersede boxing in popularity etc.

It’s juvenile stuff, as you’d expect, but then you have to expect some knuckle dragging stupidity here.

My thing is all the boxing fans and pundits said that McGregor wouldn't last 4 rounds. Mainly out of fear that there's was 1% chance that McGregor would win and that he only had a 10 week training camp he could hang with Mayweather. No mention of Mayweather's age or lack of fights of the past few years. They were adamant, McGregor was going to get knocked out. They made it sound like you needed do some jedi type training and commitment to become a boxer to last with Mayweather. At the end of the day, Mayweather HAD to wait to the latter rounds to win, he didn't knock Mcgregor out like all boxing fans/pundits said he would because he just so much better, one of the best ever etc etc. Suddenly they started mentioning his age, lack of fights, out of the blue. If Mayweather was go good as people make out then McGregor shouldn't have lasted so long, there's no two ways about it.

I respect boxing very much but there was is a lot of dismissive talk against McGregor and MMA, in the end I still think it's embarrassing that McGregor lasted so long. Especially against one of the best ever.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 11:42

If Mayweather was go good as people make out then McGregor shouldn't have lasted so long, there's no two ways about it.

Don't be so ridiculous man.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 11:50

Goat Boy wrote:
If Mayweather was so good as people make out then McGregor shouldn't have lasted so long, there's no two ways about it.

Don't be so ridiculous man.

Did you hear what the boxing pudits were saying leading up to the fight? First round knockouts were mentioned, if you could be arsed go back and look.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 11:53

What's that got to do with my post?

If you are happy to pass judgement on Mayweathers achievements based on that then knock yourself out. I think that's rather laughably myopic

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 11:58

Goat Boy wrote:What's that got to do with my post?

If you are happy to pass judgement on Mayweathers achievements based on that then knock yourself out. I think that's rather laughably myopic

I'm not passing judgment on his achievements, just this fight.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 12:03

If Mayweather was go good as people make out then McGregor shouldn't have lasted so long, there's no two ways about it.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 12:04

Goat Boy wrote:

Yes in this fight!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 12:08

Ok.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 12:11

Grand job.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Aug 2017, 12:17

The Great Defector wrote:My thing is all the boxing fans and pundits said that McGregor wouldn't last 4 rounds. Mainly out of fear that there's was 1% chance that McGregor would win and that he only had a 10 week training camp he could hang with Mayweather. No mention of Mayweather's age or lack of fights of the past few years. They were adamant, McGregor was going to get knocked out. They made it sound like you needed do some jedi type training and commitment to become a boxer to last with Mayweather. At the end of the day, Mayweather HAD to wait to the latter rounds to win, he didn't knock Mcgregor out like all boxing fans/pundits said he would because he just so much better, one of the best ever etc etc. Suddenly they started mentioning his age, lack of fights, out of the blue. If Mayweather was go good as people make out then McGregor shouldn't have lasted so long, there's no two ways about it.

From before the fight :

Diamond Dog wrote:The only things that can stop Mayweather are inactivity and old father time.

Two years is a long time to be out of the ring, but at 40 it's a very long time. That would be a slight area of concern for me. Boxers can go over the top almost overnight - I don't think this will be the case here but it is the one thing that gives McGregor a shot.

It's the only thing though.

If this was two years ago, with Mayweather still in boxing shape, this is a no contest. He may well be the greatest defensive boxer I've ever seen - and is generally accepted as such by much loftier and informed people than my good self. He's frequently been voted the best pound for pound boxer of the past 25 or so years. He very rarely gets hit, his hand speed is phenomenal and he can dig. Oh, and he has a chin of granite too. Put that package together and there is no reason whatsoever to believe a non-boxer has a cat in hells chance of beating him. None.

But it's two years on so we do just have to be aware that if he is a little ring rusty and doesn't quite have the stamina of his peak years, McGregor has that one chance of tagging him and finishing him off. It's a remote possibility, but it does exist.

Still, I see Mayweather winning this inside six - and it may go that long because he isn't a boxer who takes risks and may well take his time to suss out what his opponent brings to the show. Conversely if it goes beyond that, then every round improves McGregor's chances.

But, seriously, Mayweather in six.

Well well well....
Cocaine

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 31 Aug 2017, 08:41

It was a fascinating exercise, but difficult to enjoy because It came down to which of the extremely unpleasant humans I most detested. I think McGregor edged that one.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Aug 2017, 09:01

Nikki Gradual wrote:It was a fascinating exercise, but difficult to enjoy because It came down to which of the extremely unpleasant humans I most detested. I think McGregor edged that one.

Nah - Mayweather has been done for battering women so often, he's beneath contempt. An extremely unlikeable individual. McGregor's a cock, but he's not in Floyd's class for cuntishness.
Cocaine

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 31 Aug 2017, 09:04

Views? I know it should be tin foil hat stuff, really, but when you are dealing with a billion dollar venture, it's scarily plausible.

https://newspunch.com/promoter-dead-mayweather-mcgregor/

FAKE NEWS! TOTALLY FAKE NEWS PEDDLED BY THE FRINGE MEDIA! FAKE NEWS!

Apparently. I am ashamed for even following the link.
Last edited by Nikki Gradual on 31 Aug 2017, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 31 Aug 2017, 09:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:It was a fascinating exercise, but difficult to enjoy because It came down to which of the extremely unpleasant humans I most detested. I think McGregor edged that one.

Nah - Mayweather has been done for battering women so often, he's beneath contempt. An extremely unlikeable individual. McGregor's a cock, but he's not in Floyd's class for cuntishness.

You are 100% right, of course.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 31 Aug 2017, 10:48

Aye.

I didn't mind McGregor in the earlier days. He can be pretty amusing but he's become rather insufferable and vulgar now.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Sep 2017, 08:09

Canelo Golovkin anyone? Anyone going to watch it? I'm pretty excited as this has the makings of a classic and after the Mayweather McGregor travesty is a true superfight. I've changed my mind and am now going for Canelo, I think he looks in incredible shape and will outlast GGG.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2017, 08:25

I think Canelo too... I think Golovkin may have just gone over the top.... I may be totally wrong but I think Canelo just edges it.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”